WreckDiver's long-term Sig Sauer P320 review thread

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
A few days ago, I picked up my first handgun, a .45ACP Sig Sauer P320. I had been looking at a lot of guns for a long time, trying out a bunch, and trying to decide which to get.

The main purpose of the gun was to be a woods defense gun, as I spend a lot of time in active bear country. I do carry bear spray as a primary defense, and it will always be used first if the need arises, but I like having the backup of a gun. Now I know that .45ACP isn't the ideal round as a defense against bears, but it's the gun I wanted, and when loaded with DoubleTap .450 SMC rounds, the gun makes for a pretty decent defense against the big furry critters with claws and teeth.

So, with that out of the way, the gun. I had been looking at a lot of guns for a long time. I looked at offerings from Glock (my dad carries a 10mm G20 while hiking), S&W, Taurus, FN, and Springfield, but I never really loved any of them. Then I held my first Sig Sauer, a .40 P226, and I just loved the way it felt. It was nice and comfortable, was really high quality, and was reported to be pretty accurate.

So my hunt began for a Sig to carry in the woods. My favorites, the P220 and P226, are very expensive, generally around a four digit price, and pretty heavy. So I looked elsewhere for a while until I wandered into my local sporting goods store and talked to the guys at the gun counter. They introduced me to a gun they were raving about, the P320. I was immediately interested, because I'm a huge Sig fan, and they told me all about it. Polymer frame, striker fired, available in .45ACP. I'm listening.

The awesome part about the P320 is that it's modular. The whole gun can be broken down within a few seconds without any tools, and you can get a caliber exchange kit to change the caliber and even the size of the gun for a fraction of the price of a new gun. Add that to the fact that you get two mags, a plastic saddle holster, and glow sights standard, for only $600, and I was totally sold. So I ordered one and got it within a week.

Some pictures and my first 150 round report coming soon.

Longrange308

Adventurer
Very nice. I have a few sigs (P239, 228, 226, 220) and I love them all. The 320 is on my short list of new handguns I am interested in. The trigger is very nice on the 320, much better than some of the other factory triggers I have on other striker fired guns.

Congrats on the new acquisition. You may also want to check out www.sigforum.com Lots of good folks over there with good info if you have questions about your new hand cannon.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Very nice. I have a few sigs (P239, 228, 226, 220) and I love them all. The 320 is on my short list of new handguns I am interested in. The trigger is very nice on the 320, much better than some of the other factory triggers I have on other striker fired guns.

Congrats on the new acquisition. You may also want to check out www.sigforum.com Lots of good folks over there with good info if you have questions about your new hand cannon.

Thanks Longrange! I've been a Sig fan for a long while. There's just something about them.

I'd highly recommend picking one up. I'm planning on getting the compact sized 9mm conversion kit so I can use it as a carry gun when I want, and switch to full size .45ACP for my woods adventures. I agree the trigger is really nice. It's a real pleasure to shoot. Thanks for the tip, I'll go check that out!

The first 150 rounds were a good introduction to the pistol. This isn't the first handgun I've shot, far from it in fact, but it's the first I've owned. And man oh man am I glad I chose this one as the first. The trigger pull is sweet, about 5-6lbs with a really nice reset. It feels really great in the hand, fitting my palm comfortably, and it's not too heavy. My only irritation is there's not as much room for my left thumb above the trigger guard, but that's pretty minor. Operation was nice and smooth, with less recoil than I expected - my dad's 10mm Glock 20 had far more recoil than mine. I found it to be pretty accurate and very consistent.

It still remains to be seen how it handles with the much hotter .450 SMC ammo, but I am pretty confident. Overall I couldn't be happier with my choice of this gun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior