Wrangler pickup will be JT

haven

Expedition Leader
http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/the-new-jeep-wrangler-truck-is-called-the-jeep-scramble-1798307214

Article based on this thread on JeepScramblerforum.com
http://www.jeepscramblerforum.com/f...rd-soft-tops-longer-frame-beefier-axles.1323/

Looks like the upcoming Wrangler pickup will be designated JT and named Jeep Scrambler. Look for the 3.0L V6 turbodiesel from the Grand Cherokee, with auto start stop technology to increase city mpg. (Hopefully this can be switched off for trail use.)

The linked article also talks about the Jeep Scrambler frame being 33 inches longer than the four door Wrangler frame. That will make the Scrambler a lot longer than the military J8 pickup, and more useful as a platform for a camper. Here are the CAD drawings

http://www.jeepscramblerforum.com/forum/threads/jt-scrambler-vs-jk-wrangler-frame-and-axles.1312/

Mitch502

Explorer
Sounds promising, with a longer frame/wheelbase and a larger rear diff and diesel, I'm curious to see what the payload will be.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
I'm stoked to see these start rolling off the lot. Definitely going to test drive one at some point.

IPA

Observer
My worry is anemic towing and payload ratings and the emissions junk that comes on modern diesels.

If the JT comes in a Rubicon trim and has healthy payload and tow ratings (at least, say, 2000# and 5000#, respectively), I'll be tempted to sell my 2015 JKUR and my Excursion and my 2005 CTD to buy one of these. If the JT manages to meet emissions requirements without the need for DEF, I'll very VERY tempted.

Does the 3.0 ecodiesel on the grand cherokee use DEF?

Last edited:

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
I think all passenger diesels require DEF these days.

I suspect that the tow rating might be 5000 but the payload probably wont be 2000 - that is a pretty heavy load for any small pickup - especially one with 4 doors.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
My worry is anemic towing.

The 3.0 diesel in the Grand Cherokee makes 405 ft. lbs. of torque... that's more than a 5.7 hemi makes...

I don't think "anemic" towing will be a concern, though of course the payload and towing capacity remain to be seen.

-Dan

moabian

While there will certainly be comparisons of the upcoming Jeep pickup to a real Jeep Scrambler (fewer than 28,000 produced from 1981-85), the folks at JeepScramblerForum appear to have erroneously placed the name on the new vehicle. I couldn't find a true Scrambler anywhere on their site. There has been nothing official out of Fiat indicating that the new vehicle will be dubbed the Scrambler...just rumors. I hope it isn't called Scrambler...but if it is, perhaps it will increase the value of rare original Scramblers.

Last edited:

BrianV

Observer
My worry is anemic towing and payload ratings and the emissions junk that comes on modern diesels.

If the JT comes in a Rubicon trim and has healthy payload and tow ratings (at least, say, 2000# and 5000#, respectively), I'll be tempted to sell my 2015 JKUR and my Excursion and my 2005 CTD to buy one of these. If the JT manages to meet emissions requirements without the need for DEF, I'll very VERY tempted.

Does the 3.0 ecodiesel on the grand cherokee use DEF?

Yes can confirm Grand Cherokee with 3.0L Diesel has DEF. Great overall package tons of torque and matched with 8sp the thing feels like a rocket at full throttle.
I'm sure at least a 5k tow rating would be likely. 2k payload not so sure. That would be 1/2 or 3/4 ton territory. I doubt Jeep is going to build something in that class.
I would be interested if they did but I'm sure most wouldn't. Tacoma sized pickups just don't really have a place in my fleet.

Mrknowitall

Adventurer
based on drawings and comparisons to the AEV Brute, the wheelbase should be right about 139". That's 2" less than the LONG version of the Tacoma and Colorado Crew cabs. Payload on regular and Rubicon type suspension will be small- probably around 500lb designed bed load. For international markets, they could bump the GVW and put in some crazy stiff springs, but then it will ride like dirt and flex poorly. With a weight distributing hitch and a stiff(ish) tow/haul suspension it could be on par with the Colorado, but forget anything more than that.
The diesel should cost about $4k (that's what it costs in the Ram). The truck itself shouldn't cost any more than the JLU- doesn't cost any more to build. The closes comparisons we can grab are the Xterra vs Frontier and the H3 vs H3T.

nismo4x4

Observer
I'm definitely going to drive one when they come out...I'm really interested but I too am worried about the length...seems really long...I had hoped for something more like a 2 door brute...but that wouldn't sell I suppose

Amphibeast

Adventurer
JT is supposed to debut at the LA Autoshow in November. I will be test driving the JLU in January.... They confirmed a Turbo Diesel 4 will be delivered so we shall see!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles