Would you?? High mileage 2010 Armada

charlatan

Well, I've been reading up a lot today, and in digging around for a new light off-roader and I stumbled on this;
2010 Armada Platinum
It looks like it's been very well cared for, and I am in the process of getting the carfax atm. It ticks my boxes for size (though I need to see what kind of roof rack I can put on it) and power.

Anything I should look out for?

TIA!

EDIT- Got the carfax. There is an accident reported (no airbags). Lots of records for maintenance at the dealer. Going to inquire about timing belt.

Last edited:

dra2120

I've got 2010 QX56 (basically the exact same rig, just with different front body work), with about 150,000K on it. Its a pretty rock solid rig. There will be plenty of little things that will need repaired, but the power train is pretty solid. I would find out if the transmission cooler in the radiator has been bypassed...If not, take a very close look at the connections for the transmission cooler on the radiator. These have a common problem where the divider between the trans fluid, and the engine coolant fails...That allows the two fluids to mix, and that kills transmissions in a hurry. I bypassed mine almost as soon as I bought it, and now I can see a little bit of engine coolant around the connections where the trans lines connected meaning I caught mine just in time. There are not tons of "overlanding" parts for these trucks but I have found lift kits, snorkels, winch bumpers, rear swing out bumpers, and I haven't found a "bolt on" roof rack for it yet, but have no doubt that there are several that would fit it.

charlatan

I've got 2010 QX56 (basically the exact same rig, just with different front body work), with about 150,000K on it. Its a pretty rock solid rig. There will be plenty of little things that will need repaired, but the power train is pretty solid. I would find out if the transmission cooler in the radiator has been bypassed...If not, take a very close look at the connections for the transmission cooler on the radiator. These have a common problem where the divider between the trans fluid, and the engine coolant fails...That allows the two fluids to mix, and that kills transmissions in a hurry. I bypassed mine almost as soon as I bought it, and now I can see a little bit of engine coolant around the connections where the trans lines connected meaning I caught mine just in time. There are not tons of "overlanding" parts for these trucks but I have found lift kits, snorkels, winch bumpers, rear swing out bumpers, and I haven't found a "bolt on" roof rack for it yet, but have no doubt that there are several that would fit it.
That's awesome input, thanks! I will inquire about the bypass. Question on that... does that mean that there's no transmission cooler at that point? This is going to be going up an down the Colorado mountains A LOT, and I don't want to brn the thing up.
If I wind up with this rig, I'd definitely like to pick your brain on the different parts. I've been looking, and ya, it's kinda sparse compared to the kits for GM.

broncobowsher

Adventurer
Timing chain, no timing belt.
Have not heard of the Armada having transmission cooler issues. Frontier and Xterra, yes well known.
Bypassing the in radiator cooler is a bad idea. The Frontier world claimed it was the cure to preventing transmission failures. Then lots of people started reporting cooked transmissions. Often after a couple years of happy bypassing. They would suddenly find themselves on a steep grade at low speeds working the transmission hard. And even with adding another oil to air cooler in front of the radiator it wasn't enough to keep it cool. It has now been learned that the oil to water cooler in the radiator is a really good idea. No wonder nearly every automatic transmission in the past 60 years has done it this way.

There are some very active Titan forums. Inquire there as well. The Armada is nearly the same as a Titan. Any well known issues will be known there.

pkripper

I had a 2005 with similar miles. I ended up selling it but would not have hesitated to drive it from Texas to Alaska. They do have an offroad option that has a rear locker. Nissan is very under appreciated and are very reliable.

dra2120

That's awesome input, thanks! I will inquire about the bypass. Question on that... does that mean that there's no transmission cooler at that point? This is going to be going up an down the Colorado mountains A LOT, and I don't want to brn the thing up.
If I wind up with this rig, I'd definitely like to pick your brain on the different parts. I've been looking, and ya, it's kinda sparse compared to the kits for GM.
If it has the tow package, then there is still a very large trans cooler up front...If it doesn't have the tow package, then I believe it still has another cooler, but not as large. In the vain of @broncobowsher there are aftermarket aluminum radiators that solved the issue, and that is the best route to go (Stillen, and CSF seem to be the best options)...However I would still recommend bypassing to start, as the mixing of the coolant and trans fluid instantly kills the trans. Feel free to send me a message if you end up going with this truck, and I'll get you links to all the parts I've found so far.

05 qx56

I had a 2005 with similar miles. I ended up selling it but would not have hesitated to drive it from Texas to Alaska. They do have an offroad option that has a rear locker. Nissan is very under appreciated and are very reliable.
Hello, do you have more info about the, "offroad option that has a rear locker"? Where can I find one?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94