would you buy this? too many miles??

hpierce301

Adventurer
i know LC are known for durability, but really, how many miles are too many miles? this has 435K but only 2300.00

i thought about going to see it in person very soon.

https://myrtlebeach.craigslist.org/cto/d/1998-toyota-landcruiser/6503065635.html

00909_ibEIrISJ3RB_600x450.jpg

Klierslc

Explorer
I'd buy it if it we're one year newer. 98s didn't have rear AC. That is a lot of miles so you'll need to plan on replacing or rebuilding the engine in addition to other typical maintenance. I have a 98 Tacoma with 305k on it and it does just fine. I'd offer her 1500 and drive it till it blows and then replace the engine and trans with a lower mileage set.

Can you verify it hasn't been flooded? There are a lot of storm damaged vehicles in that part of the country, and flooded vehicles often show their issues months after they "dry out."

Arktikos

Explorer
Good Gawd that's a lot of miles. How on earth do people drive so much, especially a petro pig like this? Heck yeah, check it out.

JandDGreens

Adventurer
Can you verify it hasn't been flooded? There are a lot of storm damaged vehicles in that part of the country, and flooded vehicles often show their issues months after they "dry out."

After buying my XJ for probably way more than I should have. I determined that the P.O. had took it swimming in a lake. (He had mentioned playing in the water at a lake with it) There was sand all the way up in the glove box. I took all the electrical connections apart used cleaners on them and then used dielectric-grease, I feel very fortunate it has been 6 years and the rig is still ticking. So if the price is right I would not shy away on something that you could use as a exploration vehicle (which is all I use mine for). Now if it is going to be a daily driver I'm not as keen on that many miles.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
JandDGreens, I think the issue here in CO with flood damaged cars is it's mostly outside our view to even think about it. We assume our vehicles aren't going to rust or have mold issues and a car that was submerged in hurricane seawater is going to have problems we never anticipate. Since coastal buyers are more savvy in this respect the unscrupulous sellers will dump them in places like CO.

Doubt that's a concern with this car, but I think that's what changingground is going after anyway.

I know someone who bought an 80 series with 500k on it as a toy to build and it's been a reliable vehicle for him. It wouldn't scare me to grab this 100 for $2300 but then again I wouldn't use it as a primary car. Do the standard old Cruiser checks, no frame rust through, no major failures and start tearing into it and restoring to whatever you want.

I'd plan for an engine and drivetrain overhaul sooner rather than later, even Land Cruisers don't last forever. Land Cruisers, even the modern 100 and 200 series, are one of the few platforms I feel are mileage independent as suitable bases. Something like this to me screams solid axle and diesel swap project.

cbmontgo

Observer
It has factory diff locks, so it's worth a look. Those are fantastic and highly sought after. Only came in 1998 and 1999 in the 100 Series.

ekapel

If you have $2300 to throw away, I say give it a try as it might give you a year or two of service.
I would not put any money into it as it will absorb unlimited investment with no return.

hpierce301

Adventurer
It has factory diff locks, so it's worth a look. Those are fantastic and highly sought after. Only came in 1998 and 1999 in the 100 Series.

it has a rear diff lock, not front. did a front come in a 100 series? i'm still learning as a former Jeep guy.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
If you have $2300 to throw away, I say give it a try as it might give you a year or two of service.
I would not put any money into it as it will absorb unlimited investment with no return.
At this point it's not a collectible and never will be, so it's no more or less an investment than any other car. We're all losing value by using our trucks. A friend of mine buys cheap cars, does as little as possible to them (he does basic maintenance, oil changes, rotates tires, but nothing more) and drives them until they die. Sometimes his gamble pays off for a year or two, sometimes not. But he's become pretty good at seeing real clunkers and gems. His target used to be $500 but he's had to raise his ceiling yet he figures he still spends less annually than the average driver will on a nicer car that is actually fixed. Who knows, maybe if the short block is still OK with an engine refresh, HGs and seals, a fluidectomy this Cruiser has the potential to last awhile. Then it goes to full project status after that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94