Would this bracket be a viable HAM antenna mounting point?

pnwadventurer

Observer
Mopar_82215427_A_Pillar_Light_Brackets_Jeep_Wrangler_JL_Install.jpg

I came across this bracket and was open to hear from more knowledgeable members if this would also work as a ham radio antenna mount (with modifications) for my new Jeep JL Wrangler.

Thanks,

Steve

krick3tt

Adventurer
I mounted mine to the roof rack and put a ground wire to the frame (existing ground bolt) of the LR to ensure proper grounding. LRs have aluminum bonnet and rear doors so a ground wire can be necessary. Yours looks to be a great mount as long as the antenna bouncing/swaying doesn't bother you.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I use a similar one meant for A pillar lights with a No Ground Plane antenna. It works reasonably well. Not as good as a good antenna in the middle of a steel roof, but well. I actually would have jumped all over something like that if I knew it was out there.

pnwadventurer

Observer
I mounted mine to the roof rack and put a ground wire to the frame (existing ground bolt) of the LR to ensure proper grounding. LRs have aluminum bonnet and rear doors so a ground wire can be necessary. Yours looks to be a great mount as long as the antenna bouncing/swaying doesn't bother you.

I'm hoping that the A-post will block most of its view from the driver's seat. If not, it can't be worse than the two antennas I see from the seat of my land cruiser.

MOguy

Explorer
My main concern is getting the most functional mounting location considering the lack of a steel roof.

Whatever you ground to becomes the rest of your antenna. Looks like your mount attaches to the body as opposed to fenders, bumpers or a rack. The body is probably the best ground.
Many people with Wranglers mount to the back fender. Your placement should be just as good. Make sure you have metal metal contact for RF ground.

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Sure, ditch light brackets are viable antenna mounts. No ground plane, 1/2, would be the obvious choice but I've had 5/8 wavelength antennas work acceptably.

Nowhere near as good as getting them in the clear on the roof, even with a mag mount, but no worse really than on bull bars or bumper swing outs.

sonoronos

Usually broken down on the side of the road
There's some good literature out there regarding ground planes and eletrical ground. Might be worth taking a look at, specifically for the frequencies that you're looking to operate on.

Last edited:

PhulesAU

Explorer
http://www.k0bg.com/ Here's more info on the subject, Lots of photos too. Are you keeping the Jeep long term? I mounted my NMO style antennas in the hood just to the outside of the hinges. Easy to remove when folding hood back, and the performanceCB And Dual Bander.jpg is as good as a roof mount for our type vehicle.

jwhutch

Observer
What everyone else said. I mounted a Larsen 2/70 dual band antenna to a bracket on the fender on my TJ. Works fine. Just make sure you have a good ground and you should be fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles