Would really like stock tires!!

BBslider001

Diesel Head
So, my only other small complaint about my awesome truck is that the PO put new tires on right before I bought it. They are Firestone and they are two sizes bigger than stock (265/75 R16). He seemed to think that would be a big help at the boat dock.

If anyone wants to upgrade to a bigger, nicer tire in favor of their stock size tires, PM me. I'd be willing to do a straight trade and maybe even throw in a little $$ if they are decent. The stock size is 245/75 R16. I had a set of 4 that I sold just 4 months ago!! Arrgghhh!! Oh well... :snorkel:

98dango

Expedition Leader
265 are stock on my girl friends dads 93 i just put.tires on it. i was trying to talk him in to 285 but he said 265 is what's on te door. I do know many of the 1/2 ton trucks where 245 my 02truck is that way and if i could get to it i would trade oh in a second .

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
Not worth the cost of shipping both sets, but I have a near new set of 245s BFG commercial tires, would sell reasonably, and not too bad to ship ifwe just label each tire, which I have done many times. PM if interested.

78Bronco

Explorer
That is only maybe 3/8" difference in tire radius and 3/4" in width.

What exactly is the problem?

Considering you have a big block in such large vehicle I would be very surprised if the tires had anything to do with it.

Last edited:

1leg

Explorer
My dads 93 Z71 came stock with 265s. Personally i would keep the 265. You will be glad you did when you take it out 4wheeling. I don't think you would even notice a difference on the boat dock.

BBslider001

Diesel Head
265 are stock on my girl friends dads 93 i just put.tires on it. i was trying to talk him in to 285 but he said 265 is what's on te door. I do know many of the 1/2 ton trucks where 245 my 02truck is that way and if i could get to it i would trade oh in a second .

Mine says 245/75 R16 on the door. Same stock size for the newer GM trucks 2000-2009 before they went to 17" rims.

Not worth the cost of shipping both sets, but I have a near new set of 245s BFG commercial tires, would sell reasonably, and not too bad to ship ifwe just label each tire, which I have done many times. PM if interested.

PM sent

That is only maybe 3/8" difference in tire radius and 3/4" in width.

What exactly is the problem?

Considering you have a big block in such large vehicle I would be very surprised if the tires had anything to do with it.

Not really any problem, I just want a bit smaller for looks/function/a little gain in mpg. the 265s look just a little "balloony" in my opinion. I know a lot of guys like bigger tires. I just prefer the way it looks stock.

My dads 93 Z71 came stock with 265s. Personally i would keep the 265. You will be glad you did when you take it out 4wheeling. I don't think you would even notice a difference on the boat dock.

yeah Jerry, I hear ya. The PO had the boat dock experience, not me. I haven't been wheeling with it yet. I still have to replace the thermo-actuator this weekend or next when I have a "truck day" to tackle my list. My door says 245s and the PO told me he put those "upgraded" tires on there so I would be good to go. They are very good tires and nothing wrong with them. Just figured it would be less rubber to turn when pulling my trailer and daily driving.

Last edited:

98dango

Expedition Leader
A smaller tire is not always better even when stock . How ever if that's what.you want. I would look to craigs list or your local truck forum

78Bronco

Explorer
Mine says 245/75 R16 on the door. Same stock size for the newer GM trucks 2000-2009 before they went to 17" rims.

PM sent

Not really any problem, I just want a bit smaller for looks/function/a little gain in mpg. the 265s look just a little "balloony" in my opinion. I know a lot of guys like bigger tires. I just prefer the way it looks stock.

yeah Jerry, I hear ya. The PO had the boat dock experience, not me. I haven't been wheeling with it yet. I still have to replace the thermo-actuator this weekend or next when I have a "truck day" to tackle my list. My door says 245s and the PO told me he put those "upgraded" tires on there so I would be good to go. They are very good tires and nothing wrong with them. Just figured it would be less rubber to turn when pulling my trailer and daily driving.

Yes the are slightly lighter by 3-4lbs but would require 30 more revs per mile. You won't notice any difference other than looks. You have a big block man not much you can do to improve mpg.

Tire rack says your OEM size is 235/85/r16.

Jr_Explorer

Explorer
You might very well notice the difference in braking. I just replaced my 245/75R16's (stock on 2007 WT trim 2500 HD Silverado) 285/70R17 (which several folks swore would fit with no mods but they rubbed a bit. Nothing a little heat and plastic "shaping" couldn't fix). OMG! It takes approximately 25% more brake pedal force to stop the beast. If anyone needs five (5) brand new BFG A/T's let me know. I'm not keeping them.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I love having the 265/75's on my diesel, but 245/75's were stock and there is negligible difference between the two.

78Bronco

Explorer
You might very well notice the difference in braking. I just replaced my 245/75R16's (stock on 2007 WT trim 2500 HD Silverado) 285/70R17 (which several folks swore would fit with no mods but they rubbed a bit. Nothing a little heat and plastic "shaping" couldn't fix). OMG! It takes approximately 25% more brake pedal force to stop the beast. If anyone needs five (5) brand new BFG A/T's let me know. I'm not keeping them.

Ok...how does your braking system do with stock tires and a load? Sounds to me like a truck issue not a tire issue.

BBslider001

Diesel Head
Yes the are slightly lighter by 3-4lbs but would require 30 more revs per mile. You won't notice any difference other than looks. You have a big block man not much you can do to improve mpg.

Tire rack says your OEM size is 235/85/r16.

Well, the door mfg. tag says "245/75 R16". I think I'll take that over Tire rack.

87GMCJimmy

Adventurer
IIRC, in 1993, the stock tire size for a 3/4 ton suburban was 245/75R16. (that was the only available tire size for a K2500) The half ton Suburban came standard with 225/75R16 tires, 245/75R16 tires and 265/75R16 tires were both an option. (so, 3 available tires sizes for K1500) I have a 1994 brochure that verifies this for that year but, I don't have a 1993 brochure but, I recall the tire standard/optional packages as being the same in both years. (note, these tire sizes were on 4x4s, 235/75R16 (C1500) and 245/75R16 (C2500) were the 2wd sizes)

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer

I don't recall our 2500HD's having weak brakes? Was your ABS kicking in? Is your vaccuum or hydroboost failing? If it's hydroboost, hows your power steering pump feel?

Try some EBC Yellow pads, they have a bit more initial bite. Bleed your brakes and use a good fluid. Sounds like your stock setup has a weak link somewhere. 285 isn't much tire, an empty 1 ton truck like yours should stop fine still. Usually it's the tires and traction that are the limiting factor in a trucks stopping distance.

25% more brake pedal force with no other faults? Psh, that won't hurt anything. If you can trip the ABS into pumping on all 4 corners and screech to a stop on a dry road then the brakes are biteing fine.

Last edited:

1leg

Explorer
My 89 suburban came stock with 235/75-16s. I put 285/75-16s E-rated tires on it(same rims). didn't notice any braking issue at all. I'm not saying it didn't affect braking just saying i didn't notice.

Now on my 2007 jeep i went from the stock tire to 255/85-16s and it made a huge diffrents until i adjust the computer for the oversize tires.

I suspect that you need to make an adjustment to your computer for the larger tire

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier