Working on a 2005 Montero. Big shoes to fill. Some issues to fix.

Michael Brown

You followed me, so now we're both lost
Thanks cnutco,
The factory amp is enough for me. Right now I'm still working on the whine from the front axle. I think it just needs a new freewheel clutch solenoid, but I am checking all the vacuum lines for leaks as well.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

Michael Brown

Spent some more time under the truck last night. Greased the u-joint on the front drive shaft and checked the 4WD system again.

More investigating with the vacuum lines showed that the solenoids seem to be in working order. The hose lines also seem to not have any leaks or cracks. Freewheel clutch rod moves smoothly. However, the actuator diaphragm does not hold a vacuum on either side when I hooked the vacuum pump to it. The side closest to the differential slowly bleeds it off, but the other side will not maintain the pressure at all. Before I buy another one. Has anyone else experienced this? Image I found of a similar one online is below. It is the pancake shaped valve that the actuator rod(under rubber boot) is connected to.
IMG_2838.jpg

Michael Brown

Oh man - I really need to do this job. I am so sick of the rattle. Was it bad? How long would estimate the total time?

Entire time was 2 hours. Go to the FSM link in my signature and download the 2003 Service Manual. It is a large .zip file, but contains everything in several linked PDFs. Just start with the index and search for the speakers and audio wiring diagrams. I did everything using basic screwdrivers and a ratchet/socket set. Just take your time to not damage any of the plastic clips.

Michael Brown

Replaced the free-wheel clutch vacuum actuator. Rod now moves further when vacuum is applied. Still have the same noise though. Sounds like bearing, but is silent in 2H unless under throttle. Constant sound in 4H, and accel or decel makes no noticeable change. Possibly wheel bearing or carrier bearing? Will have to investigate more.

Monstero

Adventurer
There is an internal bearing that I had to replace in the axle shift tube at one point here a few years ago....it is passenger side and the whole tube from the differential to the A Arm will come off and the bearing in there went bad. Had to use a press to get it out and in....just an idea

Michael Brown

I will look into that. Passengers and myself distinctly hear the sound from the rear end. Hopefully it is an (relatively) easy fix.

Michael Brown

Seems to be the pinion bearing. Noise changes with throttle, but not with turning. I would think carrier bearings would change sound with side load changes. Hopefully a shop can look at it tonight.

Michael Brown

Transmission shop said it is the ring and pinion gears. They are probably shot and I need new ones. I have found used differentials on Ebay, but there is a huge price difference between the 2001-02 limited ones and the 2003-06 ones. One seller has some with free shipping and 6 month warranty.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181335488938?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/310914451013?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CARRIER-DIFFERENTIAL-ASSEMBLY-01-02-MONTERO-REAR-AXLE-5-SPD-LIMITED-/310914450349?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3AMontero&vxp=mtr&hash=item4863f203ad

Does anyone know if the 01-02 differentials will fit the 03-06 models? I do not want to buy something twice because it does not fit. I am really regretting getting the new one now. :(

Monstero

Adventurer
01,02 have different gear ratios....If u want to go bigger tires it makes them run better....If u want to stick with same gear ratio then get one from 03 and up....

Michael Brown

01,02 have different gear ratios....If u want to go bigger tires it makes them run better....If u want to stick with same gear ratio then get one from 03 and up....

I thought the gear ratios were based on the trim/transmissions? 4.9 for the XLS w/4-speed and 4.3 for the LTD w/5-speed. I had heard of swaps between these, but was not sure if there was any other major differences that would prevent the complete swap of an older differential without having to rebuild it. I would prefer to just get the newer 4.3 with the 6-month warranty, but $815 is expensive and I am almost debating on getting rid of it now. It is turning into more work than anticipated.

Michael Brown

8uzadyne.jpg
I ordered this replacement from eBay for $300. 2001 diff with 101k (mine has 105k). Installed it yesterday and filled with fluid today. Also changed transfer case fluid. The rear end noise is now gone. The old diff sounds terrible when turned by hand.
New one also has an added bonus of being a Hybrid LSD.

Sabre

Overlanding Nurse
8uzadyne.jpg
I ordered this replacement from eBay for $300. 2001 diff with 101k (mine has 105k). Installed it yesterday and filled with fluid today. Also changed transfer case fluid. The rear end noise is now gone. The old diff sounds terrible when turned by hand.
New one also has an added bonus of being a Hybrid LSD.

Nice opportunity to upgrade that rear diff! I'm extremely happy with the LSD in my '01 and have never wished for a locker. Well, maybe an Aussie locker in the front!

Michael Brown

Nice opportunity to upgrade that rear diff! I'm extremely happy with the LSD in my '01 and have never wished for a locker. Well, maybe an Aussie locker in the front!

Thanks. I really like this vehicle, I just needed to fix the obvious issues. I would maybe like the ARB front/rear air lockers, but I do not drive many places that would need it. The LSD should suffice. I now need to do transmission fluid change, oil change, and get the timing belt/water pump service done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94