Work trailer 200watt panels and 100ah battery as portable power generator

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
titles wordy..but Im thinking this..

the 14ft enclosed trailer is for work/play. I put 12volt led lighting all around for site work (and maneuvering trailer in the dark). 12 volt strip lights inside for both camping and being able to work inside when its poor lighting.

I ordered a renogy 200watt kit. and a 100ahu battery, a power analyzer (to see draw). and Im sure I will probably grab a 4000watt inverter (or something similar)

That should let me run chargers and some low amp draw power tools. (almost everything is battery powered)..it will also let me run my CPAP when we are camping in the trailer..

I will eventually be setting up the house to use the setup to run some outlets in the house (and 22amp furnace blower) when we loose power..(and possibly in the future daily supplemental power to dedicated circuts in the house if it works well)

has anyone tried something similar? using your camp setup to pay for itself when your at home...
I know I will need to add more batteries and more than likely change the charge controler from the factory renogy one..

IMG_3914.jpg

plh

Explorer
4000 Watt inverter is hugh, what are you planning on powering?

Rough numbers - at full 4000 watt draw your 100 ah battery will power it for about 10 minutes

Last edited:

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
yea I thought about that lastnight...probably a 1500 watt inverter...I need to look at sizing it based on 10min on 15/20min off useage of a furnace blower motor for the gas furnace, (22 amp listed on motor...I need to amp meter it and get real world startup vs run amp draw

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
Finnaly got around to getting pictures of my install. I hinged the 2 100 watt panels together and made some 12ft leeds for them to make it easier to adjust to suns position. I decided I didn't want to permenantly mount the panels to the roof for both flexibility and performance and security that I can store them locked inside or not bring them at all if I'm doing a lot of contractor work.

I also wired up the interior 5050 LED RGB lights to white and a standard household light switch so the kids and my crew wouldn't be fumbling around trying to find a toggle switch in the dark.

The exterior led flood/fog/work lights are wired to the battery and run on a cool little remote so I can turn them on for backup lights when I'm towing or as site lights for camping and working..pretty slick for $16

It currently only has one 100Ahu battery with plans to add a second one later along with a 2000 inverter..

Amp meter just showed up and hasn't been installed yet.

Sofar I'm happy with the setup and flexability..

chet

island Explorer
At my cabin that is pretty much what I have. My battery is the big 8d size so it may be larger. I have a 3000w mod sine wave inverter and I can run a small microwave and a full 10" chopsaw if I need to. If you are only charging cordless tool batteries it will be no problem.

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
dang new phone wouldnt let me upload these pics..

Chet we want to be able to run the furnace blower when we loose power so it sounds like Im on the right track!

Last edited:

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer

Chet we want to be able to run the furnace blower when we loose power so it sounds like Im on the right track!
e2e3387ed168a69c76111f7673b735b5.jpg

a6a071d018dbc07920f523e964758079.jpg

30891e3667b7f15e9c522e034afe95f6.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior