Woohoo Ecoboost and diesel Options for the new transit confirmed!!

McZippie

Walmart Adventure Camper
You would want a wimpy factory AWD/4WD option? I'd rather do my own and have something substantial.

FWIW I'd be happy with a 2 to 3 inch lift, taller tires and a factory rear e-locker.

Unlike the Sprinter dog, hope the diesel has some real world towing power.

dsw4x4

Adventurer
There are two key factors in that article one is it is using the ecoboost and the other is a diesel. The diesel is obvious why thats cool but the ecoboost has it's own hidden agendas. This means it will most likely be using north american components that come in the f series trucks not the transmission that comes in in the euro version. This is one of the big sprinter 4x4 hurdles. So with a little ingenuity it should be possible to use f series components to convert it to 4wd. And yes you can bet quigly will be all over converting this van because they are not going lose out on a market that big as ford eventually fades out the econoline vans. Now if we can find out what diesel they are going to use??

NLPRacing

Observer
There are two key factors in that article one is it is using the ecoboost and the other is a diesel. The diesel is obvious why thats cool but the ecoboost has it's own hidden agendas. This means it will most likely be using north american components that come in the f series trucks not the transmission that comes in in the euro version. This is one of the big sprinter 4x4 hurdles. So with a little ingenuity it should be possible to use f series components to convert it to 4wd. And yes you can bet quigly will be all over converting this van because they are not going lose out on a market that big as ford eventually fades out the econoline vans. Now if we can find out what diesel they are going to use??

The diesel is rumored to be the 3.2-liter straight-five (197 horsepower, 347 pound-feet) , the same one that comes in the "World" Ranger. If so, it should be good for at least 5000 lbs of towing, but hopefully more. Personally, I would like to see at least 9,000 pounds towing (the F150 is rated at over 11,000 pounds w/the EcoBoost V6).

r_w

Adventurer
The problem with the e-van towing cap was always heat management (or lack of). Put a good crossflow rad, a real tranny cooler, and actually do some windtunnel work on engine bay flow and it should be able to match the combined weight rating of the F series.

cwsqbm

Explorer
A stock E van can handle that.

I've had been down many a snowy road in a stock 4wd pickup that my 2wd van wouldn't go. Factor in how an unloaded van has most of its weight on the front, and you can see how AWD can be very useful even just on wet roads. Sure, adding weight helps, but that's not always an option (like after you've dropped a load of stuff and are on your way home). Traction control is just a way of making sure you're stuck safely.

1sweetvan

Adventurer
I understood "bad road" to be rutted, bumpy, pot holed. An E350 has sufficient clearance is all I meant. If you're not going crawling, you're not likely going bogong either.

As for weight distribution, my 12 passenger gasser is 51/49 empty and actually pretty good in the snow with appropriate tires.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles