Wood Buffalo National Park 2021

Trail Talk

We last visited Wood Buffalo National Park in 2018 with our RTT set-up and were looking forward to a return visit in the OEV Summit. The scarred landscape which appeared as we approached the 60th parallel was a reminder of devastating wildfires in 2019, although it was truly odd to see new homes plunked down in the middle of burned patches. We checked-in at the NT border station to receive our travel pass and orders to head straight for the park. It was a long day and we were tempted to stop and boon-dock for a night but heat and mosquitos encouraged us on.

IMG_3349 copy.JPG
Lovely Williamson Lake Provincial Park

IMG_3378 copy.JPG
Return visit to Twin Lakes Recreation Area

High Level copy.JPG
Last stop at High Level before the NT border, and first of the "Red Chairs"

IMG_1785 copy.JPG
Bison along the road to Fort Smith

Within an hour of arriving at the Pine Lake campground we were greeted by a pair of armed “enforcement” wardens. While they weren’t able to answer our questions on trail conditions, they promised to notify someone who would get in touch. Sure enough, next day another pair dropped by from the Visitor’s Center. They didn’t bring maps or trail literature but filled us in on what reports they had received from others. They dropped off a trail guide the following day; each trip from town being and hour and a half return drive.

Pine Lake copy.JPG
Pine Lake unserviced campground

IMG_3463 copy.JPG
Bison or buffalo? You soon learn up here that "buffalo" was an early explorer's mistaken belief these creatures were related to Asian water buffalo.

Although you wouldn't know it from their extremely optimistic Facebook page, the park was facing many challenges this summer and it seemed only a half-hearted attempt was made at welcoming visitors. They maintained the Visitor's Center in Fort Smith but non-NT travellers were forbidden to stop there. The park hadn't registered any local guides or outfitters for the season, leaving visitors on their own to source boat access into the park's prime wildlife region on the Peace Delta. It might be superfluous to note that most of the park, including the campground, is in a cellular dead zone which hampered planning, although we were surprised to receive a few days dump of mail while on a hilltop during one day hike.

IMG_3385 copy.JPG
Red chairs at Pine Lake

IMG_3387 copy.JPG
Red chairs at Loon Lake

IMG_3394 copy.JPG
Lane Lake access trail under water

The park was experiencing a heat wave with temps up to 34C! This, combined with unusually high water levels and blowdowns along the unmaintained trails made our primary objective of Sweetgrass Station unreachable. The site is in active wolf/bison country and features the remains of an old bison meat processing plant from the 1950s, so we were disappointed, but it only meant we will return again when conditions are better.

IMG_3437 copy.JPG
Benchmark Trail

Trail Talk

We considered trying for the other backcountry campsite in Wood Buffalo at Rainbow Lake but were informed that was also under water. So instead we sweated out a few day hikes which featured washed-out bridges and often indistinct and overgrown trail; the residual effect of last season's covid closure I'm sure. The only other people we came across, outside of the campground lawn-chair crowd, were a couple of Japanese tourists on a nature walk with a parks interpreter, but they eventually turned around.

IMG_3439 copy.JPG
one of many salt pans

IMG_3442 copy.JPG
There used to be a bridge here!

IMG_3443 copy.JPG
Red chairs at Grosbeak Lake

IMG_3445 copy.JPG
Grosbeak Lake glacial erratics (rocks)

We also motored along several hundred km of gravel roads to explore the park’s back road to Peace Point on the Peace River and on to Moose Island Landing which provides boat access to Fort Chipewyan during the summer and the ice road during winter.

IMG_3403 copy.JPG
Moose Island

IMG_3407 copy.JPG
Boaters parking for those travelling to Fort Chip

Having run out of objectives in the park, and forbidden to journey elsewhere, we decided to meander home. Once across the AB border, we visited the Mennonite center of La Crête and enjoyed a tour of their historic village recreation. We also scored a great campsite, high above the Peace just before the ferry at Tompkins Landing. A local campaign was underway to save the ferry since plans were announced to replace it with a bridge, but I think they will have the ferry for many years to come.

IMG_3486 copy.JPG
Re-creation of homesteader's cabin at Mennonite Village

IMG_3494 copy.JPG
La Crête Ferry Campground

IMG_3516 copy.JPG
Sharing the road, and ferry, with giant logging trucks was a regular feature from dawn till darkness

My partner's ambition was to visit the town of McLennan to see where her great-aunt served as a nursing nun for many years. She had a mental image of small wooden cabins isolated in the vast prairie so was surprised to find two giant brick edifices in the church and adjoining residence. Clearly these spoke of grander days as a note on the church door announced services once a week by a travelling priest. Their railway museum was my treat for the day.

IMG_3360 copy.JPG
McLennan church

Trail Talk

IMG_3353 copy.JPG
McLennan church residence

IMG_3366 copy.JPG
IMG_3365 copy.JPG
Caboose kitchen

We made another ferry crossing of the Peace at Shaftesbury and intended for a 3rd ferry over the Athabasca River near Fort Assiniboine but the weather took a nasty turn and plummeted to 10C with heavy rain. That, combined with weekend warriors plugging up the campgrounds, steered us home.

IMG_3526 copy.JPG
Tug ferry

IMG_3536 copy.JPG
Our rig under attack by the giant housefly of Fahler (actually a bee representing local honey production)

The truck and cabin systems performed well, as did the Airhead separating toilet. Solar in summer is such a treat and we always had a full charge. The Webasto was limited to heating water for dishes and an occasional shower but, true to form, decided to act up by making an awful racket which sounded like an out-of-balance fan. Thankfully it cured itself after a couple of days.

The insulation qualities of the Summit, which proved so capable this winter, also reduced heat build-up and we found it was generally cooler inside the cabin even when parked in full sun. Another fan, in addition to the Maxxair, would be nice so any recommendations are appreciated.

blood sun B copy.JPG

I took the opportunity to weigh our rig at a highway weigh station. With full fuel and water, passengers and luggage, we came in over our GVWR of 11,300. The front axle was underloaded but the rear axle was over by 600 lbs. In our pre-delivery correspondence with OEV, they obtained a curb weight of 10,075 with full fuel. Besides two occupants and our gear, a full 45 gallon fresh water tank over the rear axle and our addition of a rear storage box with contents (kitchen tent, table, chairs) plus fuel rack with two full jerry cans made up the overage I’m sure. As long as it continues to drive so well, I can’t really worry about it.

SootyCamper

Enjoyed your trip report! Would like to see more of your camper as OEX has been on my radar for some time. Do you have instagram or other social media?

Trail Talk

Enjoyed your trip report! Would like to see more of your camper as OEX has been on my radar for some time. Do you have instagram or other social media?

Sorry no, just this forum. If you have any specific Qs re Overland Explorer Vehicles, I'd be happy to reply in a PM.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94