Wolfpack Alpha - 2014 JK Build Thread

wADVr

Adventurer
I had a friend who had his winch catch fire while sitting unused in his driveway. Was a Warn too. Could have been caused by a similar situation as you just experienced. I might actually take this as a sign and isolate my winch from the battery, was contemplating doing this anyway..

X-plorenow

Adventurer
So decided to dig into the power steering pump project today. I have to admit that I have been dreading this project but knew that I had to get it done.

Out with the old, in with the new:

20210125_133319.jpg

It is actually easier to take mounting plate off with it than trying to get to the mounting screws while it was on. So I took the whole thing off and switched it on the bench:

20210125_134129.jpg

All done. This project is a bear. It should be really straight forward, 3 bolts, 2 hoses, and one serpentine belt. The problem is the location. You need to take the airbox out, and its easier if you take the passenger inner fender liner out as well. And then it is still hard to get to from the top of the engine or underneath. No good answer. I am sore as heck but its all done. Drives like a dream, steers with one finger! ?

20210125_133330.jpg

X-plorenow

Adventurer
Well after examination of my old winch Comeup was nice enough to send a replacement.

20210203_144538.jpg

Mine was toast. Electronics were all fried and the motor would only turn one way. Rather than rebuild it, they offered to give me one that they had on hand for fitment purposes, while replacing all the electronics in my current controller box. Rod from Comeup is pretty confident that it was a short in the wireless controller unit.

After a couple of hours of work, it is all in and ready to go. Will share pictures tomorrow. I am glad, as it felt naked without it, especially with all the snow that we have.

I wanted to reiterate that Rod and the guys from Comeup USA have been absolutely fantastic.

Last edited:

X-plorenow

Adventurer
Haven't posted in quite a while, first because hadn't done much with the Jeep but then have been swamped and didn't have time to post.

But a lot has changed, a lot of info to come.

First up, I made some changes to the suspension:

20210708_085311.jpg

I had put the Teraflex 4" lift in last year and was very happy with it, except for the springs, especially in the back. The back drooped several inches and would bottom out with heavy offroad use. I also felt like there was a sway / body roll to it. Not severe but enough to notice.

So I replaced with the AEV heavy-duty springs all around. Haven't had them too long but extremely happy so far. Backend no longer droops and the Jeep is nice and steady. Handles fantastic. Very pleased so far.

X-plorenow

Adventurer
That setup the next big change. The backend was drooping enough without adding more weight:

20210708_131151.jpg

20210708_131257.jpg

Added a Tuff Stuff Alpha rooftop tent. I ordered it in March, have been waiting months but it finally arrived last week after the shipping delays. My friends at Maine Line Overland in NH helped me install it as I didn't have anybody or anyway to get the bad boy up there.

While a change, so far I haven't seen huge impacts from a drivability standpoint as of yet but will keep you all posted.

X-plorenow

Adventurer
We have been out camping in the new tent the last two weekends and LOVE it. Here are some pics from this past weekend.

20210710_054751.jpg

20210710_054625.jpg

X-plorenow

Adventurer
Our next big addition to the backend. I am very happy how the drawers, fridge, and how the whole backend has come together.

20210708_133647.jpg

More changes coming soon...

Last edited:

X-plorenow

Adventurer
Next project on tap, on board air. I have been waiting for this one for while:

Attachments

• 20210705_110811.jpg
    20210705_110811.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 15

X-plorenow

Adventurer
Haven't posted in a while and figured I would add a few quick updates. Most of the recent changes have been upgrades, but upgrades fixing issues.

First up was my front driveshaft. While driving home from dropping off my wife at work I completely grenaded the stock front driveshaft. I had smelled something burning but couldn't tell from where. Looks like the front CV boot tore and leaked all the grease out and it then literally popped out of the front mount:

20211212_143733.jpg

The rust is new, it was sitting on my driveway for a few days until I took the picture. At first, I couldn't figure out what was wrong when it happened, I just heard the grinding. I called AAA for a tow but they took forever to come. While waiting I finally found the driveshaft issue. After two and half hours, the tow truck had supposedly broken down, I got so mad I grabbed my tools, crawled under, took off the driveshaft, and drove home without it. I then called Tom Woods and ordered a new 1350 front driveshaft. Not only is it beefier but it replaces the CV joints with double cardon joints.

Lifted Jeeps don't like CV-style driveshaft joints. The severe angle can tear the boot, the grease comes out and it overheats. Just like what happened to me.

20211212_143819.jpg

To say that this thing is beefy doesn't do it justice. It is almost overbuilt.

20211212_143823.jpg

So far so good. Haven't had any issues since the change. The rear is still stock and I know that I am probably on borrowed time with it and plan to change it soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne