Wolfpack Alpha - 2014 JK Build Thread

X-plorenow

Adventurer
I wanted to start a build thread for my latest jeep as it has been a little while. I am a long term portal member and have posted about a lot of vehicles.

My first Jeep was Red, an 02 TJ that I loved to death and drove all over Colorado.
Red.jpeg

That was until I rolled it off a 10,000 foot mountain:
Red After.jpeg

The side of the road gave way and we were above the treeline and had nothing to winch to. Thankfully my wife and I were able to get out before it went over. I loved that Jeep, still miss it to this day.

I had three Land Rover Discovery's after that, loved them but blew head gaskets in 3, with carcasses left in Colorado, California, and Iowa. Never again.

Then came Daisy, our 2009 Jeep JK, I was so happy to be back in a Jeep.

Daisy.jpeg

We had a blast driving this across Maine as we ended back up on the East Coast. Great jeep but had to get rid of her for financial reasons.

I was in a Tacoma for a while and it was fine, but we are a true Jeep family.

X-plorenow

Adventurer
Finally we were able to get back in a Jeep about a year ago, when we picked up a 2014 Jeep JK Unlimited Rubicon.

Here is how she sits today:

20200209_163636.jpg

20200414_181056.jpg

Current Modifications:
35" / 12.5" / 17" Falken Wildpeak MT's
Teraflex Spacer Lift (Temporary)
JKS Rear Adjustable Track Bar
ARB Stubby Front Bumper
Comeup 9.5s
Viking Synthetic Winchline
Factor 55 Thimble
sPOD
Gobi Stealth Rack
Baja Designs 40" Light Bar
ARB 62 Qt Fridge
JW Speaker LED Headlights, Turn Signals and Rear Brake Lights
Fishbone Sliders
ARB 200 Awning

Love my Jeep, drives great but more work to come.

X-plorenow

Adventurer
Took a trip up the Golden Road in ME a few weeks ago. It was cold, but some recent warmer weather had left some water under the ice on the roads. Kept kicking up water and it would almost immediately freeze. Even froze the doors shut!

20200315_155947.jpg

20200315_155942.jpg

X-plorenow

Adventurer
Next project is one I didn't want to have to do but had to no less.

20200414_164507.jpg

Have to send my sPOD Bantam and Touch Screen back for RMA. It has been going in and out for some time, and only coming on when it wanted to.

But the service from sPOD has been fantastic. I sent an email to support on Saturday and a tech was around, responded, asked for some pics, and then walked me through some items on the phone. On Monday they quickly got me an RMA form and I am ready to send it out.

Hopefully will get it back soon.

X-plorenow

Adventurer
Speaking of the Golden Rd and the water event, there is an item I wanted to share for other Rubicon owners. Last fall I started have some intermittent issues with my Electronic Sway Bar. I couldn't get the light to go off, and then I started to get random multi lights on the dash flashing all at the same time. Then the Jeep would go into limp mode and I couldn't go anywhere.

After some research, I guessed it was a short in the e-sway bar plug. when I unplugged it a ton of water fell out and I could smell electrical burn. So I left it unplugged, covered it in dielectric grease, wrapped it in duct tape and tucked it up out of the way. Had no issues all winter even with all the snow in Maine.

On my recent trip up the Golden Rd I started to have the same light issues start again. The roads were really rough and it had fallen down and was taking on water again. I uncovered the tape, wrapped it in a plastic bag and tied it up with some bailing wire.

When I got home I finally cut the plug off, capped all the wires, wrapped it in a waterproof way and zip tied it up high behind the radiator. So far so good.

Zipmingo

Regarding your wet sway bar disconnect plug. Do you still have the factory air dam? I’ve seen several rigs that have had a similar problem. Each time there was no dam and it seemed that the plug was exposed to water that may have been blocked by the dam.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

X-plorenow

Adventurer
Regarding your wet sway bar disconnect plug. Do you still have the factory air dam? I’ve seen several rigs that have had a similar problem. Each time there was no dam and it seemed that the plug was exposed to water that may have been blocked by the dam.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It does not currently have the factory air dam. I bought it used, if I remember correctly it was there when I bought it, but was not put back on when I had the ARB stubby bumper installed.

X-plorenow

Adventurer
Nice! What’s next?

Funny you ask, I have a bunch of projects on tap.

First I got another sheet of 3/4" Birch so that I can finish the drawers:

20200421_103219.jpg

Then Orange and Blue Santa dropped this off earlier today:

20200421_122219.jpg

Presents! 4" Teraflex Lift Kit I have the front disassembled and started to put it back together when the skies opened up. Will share more pics when I get more progress made.

I also have another surprise on the way that I will share shortly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier