Wolfpack Alpha - 2014 JK Build Thread

X-plorenow

Adventurer
Nice. I see you spend time in ME, are you New England based? I am in MA

Thanks! I actually live in Maine now, but am from Mass, born and raised about 11 miles North of Boston. We lived in Western Mass for about 4 years before moving North to Maine.

X-plorenow

Adventurer
So I have started putting on the lift and it is fighting me every step of the way. Not that the lift kit itself is overly complex, but my Jeep decided that it didn't want to make it easy. This is not the first lift kit that I have done but it has been a real pain in the ass.

20200425_164745.jpg

First up, both shocks didn't want to come off. The Jeep has almost 100K miles on it and the top nuts were completely rusted on. I am a pretty strong guy and I pulled on those for a few days. I pulled on the passenger side so hard the spindle literally stapped and the shock dropped out. The driver side wasn't as easy (not that the other side was easy by any means.) I finally gave up and took the sawzall to it. Piece of cake.

20200425_165047.jpg

I had to take everything off to get the axle to drop enough to fit the four-inch springs, draglink, tie-rod, and driveshaft. No real issues except now the draglink and tie-rod studs just spin when I try and put the nuts on, lovely. I have tried every tried I know and a few more I found only and nothing is working yet. I am letting it sit and am looking into a few things, but might just end up getting a new tie-rod end and lower draglink.

20200425_164658.jpg

Other than that the passenger side is done and looks good. Of course, the driver side said hold my beer.

20200425_164858.jpg

I was finishing up the brake lines. As I was taking the hardline off the soft line the coupling snapped off, fantastic. I bought a new hardline but now I have to flare and bend it. Project for tomorrow. When I was first dropping the axle, even with the brake line mount removed, I snapped the ABS line, so I have to fix that as well. I told you, the Jeep is completely fighting me.

I haven't even started the back yet... fun times :)

Last edited:

X-plorenow

Adventurer
20200428_171312.jpg

Next project arrived today. Still finishing the lift. I am still waiting on a few parts in order to finish the front, but put the front tires on for now and will start the rear hopefully tomorrow if I have some time.

X-plorenow

Adventurer
Most of the lift is on, just a few cleanup items. The rear control arms bolts are being a pain, will finish those up in the morning. Then will do the new Titan Tank. Should have some more pics up tomorrow.

locrwln

Expedition Leader
View attachment 582411

Next project arrived today. Still finishing the lift. I am still waiting on a few parts in order to finish the front, but put the front tires on for now and will start the rear hopefully tomorrow if I have some time.
You will like the tank. I installed mine recently and used it on one trip. It was nice having the extra insurance. When they say that it's 100lbs full, they are not kidding, its heavy. Jeep is looking great.

Jack

X-plorenow

Adventurer
You will like the tank. I installed mine recently and used it on one trip. It was nice having the extra insurance. When they say that it's 100lbs full, they are not kidding, its heavy. Jeep is looking great.

Jack

Thanks, I appreciate it. I think the tank is the best value by far, and I got a pretty good deal on it.

I bet it's heavy when full. I know water weighs 8 lbs per gallon, I assume gas is about the same. So it would weigh 96 lbs without the actual tank.

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Thanks, I appreciate it. I think the tank is the best value by far, and I got a pretty good deal on it.

I bet it's heavy when full. I know water weighs 8 lbs per gallon, I assume gas is about the same. So it would weigh 96 lbs without the actual tank.

I agree. I looked at all of the options out there that I could find and it seemed to be the best value per dollar. I caught a decent sale and felt like it was a good deal. I believe gas is 6lb/gallon, so its a little lighter than water, but I notice the weight more when opening or closing the tailgate (Teraflex hinge/35" tire) than I do on the road.

Jack

X-plorenow

Adventurer
Finished up the Titan tank Install. Pretty happy how it turned out. Had to get a new 3rd brake light extension as my current one didn't clear the tank. I went with the Teraflex one and had to hack the stock mount pretty bad to make it fit. I painted it to stop rust for now since it will be hidden behind the tank. I plan to get the Teraflex hinge and tire mount soon but this will do for now:

20200507_090802.jpg

20200507_111849.jpg

20200507_115929.jpg

20200507_115943.jpg

X-plorenow

Adventurer
Been cleaning up some items with the lift while I wait for the last steering components to come in, the last piece is the drive side tie rod end. I fixed the ABS line that broke this morning.

20200507_120524 (1).jpg

Needs a couple more zip ties but came out pretty clean.

X-plorenow

Adventurer
Lift is done! Took some time to finish everything up and get everything dialed in.

20200511_152114.jpg

20200511_151925.jpg

20200511_152027 (1).jpg

It's sitting a little lower in the rear because the new Titan tank is full. Not too bad though.

X-plorenow

Adventurer
So why so dirty in the prior post? Took it out for a shakedown run on some local logging trails yesterday. On one of the trails the road looked fine going up a hill looking like this:

20200510_161935.jpg

And then all of a sudden the road just gave way. I was able to back out of it and found this:

20200510_160919.jpg

We walked up the road and my wife was walking just above this area and this happened, you can check out the video here: Mud River Road

Never seen anything like it. Left my Jeep looking like this:

20200510_160650.jpg

Last edited:

X-plorenow

Adventurer
We hit the trails pretty hard this weekend. Some pretty rough trails and some really really deep mud as we have had a bunch of rain recently. I was out again Saturday night and heard something dragging. I had hoped it was a stick like last time but this time I had a little surprise, one end of the steering stabilizer was hanging. My first reaction was oops, I must have not properly tightened the bolt after installing the new steering.

20200518_111859.jpg

Nope, bolt still on nice and tight. The bushing pushed out. I could just push the bushing back in and use an oversize washer but it was pretty beat to hell and has almost 100k miles on it. Been planning to replace it so I guess now is the time.

20200518_111905.jpg

Just removed it for now. More to come stat tuned.

X-plorenow

Adventurer
Saw a couple of moose while we were out deep in the woods this weekend. We found it funny as we usually see the moose on the road, not deep in the woods :LOL:. It was getting dark so the pic isn't great.

20200516_202305.jpg

X-plorenow

Adventurer
Selling my ARB fridge. Anyone specifically in the Northeast who is interested I will have it posted in the Classified section.

20200518_130626.jpg

It's a 63 qt. Bought it for a previous Tacoma, worked fine in the JK but not with my current configuration. Won't fit behind the seat. Looking to replace with a 50 qt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles