Wolf boxes (not drawers) and spare tire inside a Jeep LJ

bluejeep

just a guy
A work in progress - Addresses the recent post asking who likes 'boxes' and who likes 'drawers'. And introduces something not often discussed - storing a spare tire inside.
So.....I like boxes (Wolf Boxes, with high lids) versus drawers or slides.
I also like less weight on the tailgate, not so much because of worry about the strength of the support, more from the standpoint of keeping heavy things between the axles and low. Also I've seen a few times when things hanging out on the back touch the ground when climbing or going thru a steep valley.

Having laid all that out there, this is what I'm putting together before the next adventure (Moab in April). I position the spare inside, upright and behind the driver seat, fastened down with 2 straps hooked into a short length of track (yellow in the pics) in front of and behind the tire.

This spare will also be held against a vertical surface that is along its outboard side. This vertical surface (bent 1/4" plastic) is fastened to the side of the jeep at the soft top rail, and its lower edge rides on the floor. This bent shape forms a shelf, under which I will fasten an air hose that recoils (blue in pic), and on top of the shelf will be fastened my OBA compressor. Both are then positioned for easy access.

To the rear of this shelf is a similar but smaller bent plastic shape that forms a shelf for my freezer (small 12v unit). It too is now easily accessible (altho I have to stand on tippy toe to see into the bottom.) The 'frig' (another small 12v unit) sits on the floor behind the spare.

On the starboard side of the jeep I will be fixing my 2- 1" fiberglass grates that can be used for 'stuck times', if that ever happens. In the meantime, they are stowed in a manner that form a shelf on that side. I will stow lighter items along there, such as a soft side cooler (blue in pic), the tent footprint, maybe some other things I have yet to figure out where to put.

Thru the middle of the jeep, I have 3 Wolf Boxes, w/ high lids. Some items may go on top of these but for the most part I like this arrangement because if I tilt the passenger seat forward (Jeep LJ) and place a sleeping mat on top of the Wolf's, I have a nice place to catch a few winks, say for when I have a long drive and need to take a rest
Not shown, but planned, will be a single red Nato can tucked nicely against the outside of the tailgate, along with an Ammo can holding some recovery gear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles