WK2 - Trailhawk vs Laredo e

phsycle

Adventurer
A family member is looking at a new GC/WK2. Is there any value in going with a Trailhawk over a Laredo E with QD II? Seems like not much? He doesn’t care about amenities. Just wants a GC with lo range. If the Trailhawk had a locker (like the KL’s) it would be a no brainer. Hardest trails he’ll be doing is out in Moab, probably 3-4 rated.

He’ll be getting the V6 in either trim as no towing is involved. Thanks.

GB_Willys_2014

A family member is looking at a new GC/WK2. Is there any value in going with a Trailhawk over a Laredo E with QD II? Seems like not much? He doesn’t care about amenities. Just wants a GC with lo range. If the Trailhawk had a locker (like the KL’s) it would be a no brainer. Hardest trails he’ll be doing is out in Moab, probably 3-4 rated.

He’ll be getting the V6 in either trim as no towing is involved. Thanks.
I know nothing about Grand Cherokees, but if I was to buy one, I would buy the E with QDII.

No need for fancy non-functional doo-dads. Plus I would be so scared of ruining the expensive seats, I would just cover them.

kga1978

I don’t think you can get the QD-II in the Laredo - only the QT-II (I believe you have to go Limited and up). The main difference being that the QD-II gives you the E-LSD, which makes a big difference off-road (while not technically a locker, it works exactly like one). I have driven both QT-II and QD-II off-road and the difference is substantial (I personally own a ‘17 TH and love it).

phsycle

Adventurer
You’re right. QTII in Laredo E. QDII in TH.

I will probably suggest Laredo E, because I don’t think he’ll go on any trails that will warrant a locker or even an LSD. $10k difference In price is quite a bit. He can at least get some maxtrax or even a winch set up.

Thanks.

If he does decide to bump up to a limited for the features then the trailhawk package is not a bad deal. You can get the same functional parts on a non trailhawk but if you happen to want everything included in the package it’s a better deal than specking out a limited with the same items (not just the QD-II but also the upgraded stereo and tow package nicer looking to me trim the and other things it comes with).

Kinda wish I had gone that route, I have a limited v8 with just a couple options: 8.4, tow and sunroof. IIR a v8 TH would have cost only $1000 more and gotten me the QD-II and some other things I’d like but don’t have. The QT-II does just fine honestly, but do get the skid/tow hook package or add it later; it all bolts on.

These things are very low to the ground I feel like I’m driving my wife’s accord when it’s on a trail. That’s where the air suspension included with QD-II or TH would really be nice.

86scotty

Cynic
I just bought her a 16 Overland (QT-2 I think). Not sweating it. This thing is pretty damn capable for a near luxury SUV. Lots of guys are running them pretty hard. I'm not trying to prove any certain trim or drivetrain to anyone here, just a positive vote for a pretty amazing vehicle.

gspfunk

I have a TH, so I’m a little biased, but I would go TH over Laredo E. The features are great and the e-locker is terrific. Plus, it has the more comfortable SRT seats.

With the Laredo, you could do springs/lift, which some prefer.

Grassland

My wife grabbed a 2019 Altitude, this summer which is a package on a Laredo. Has QT2, leather, small sunroof, some extra features.
We specifically didn't want the air suspension.

If I was buying one myself, I'm a few frills kind of guy and would spec a Laredo with offroad group 1 to get quadra track 2 and the tow package and call it a day.

wADVr

Adventurer
Having just bought a WK2 with air ride and Quadra track 2 id consider the air suspension on the Trailhawk pros and cons before picking one or the other.

The Trail Hawk has the adjustable air suspension that offers 4 or 5 inches of adjustability and is very easy (and cheap) to lift an additional inch with longer air sensor links but from what I have read hasn’t been the most reliable, maybe someone can chime in and correct me on the later years? I hope so anyway. The added height on the fly would be really nice for increasing clearance on the trail but if simpler is better I’d sticking with coils in the Laredo. This system can be swapped out for coils but why waste the money.

As for the LSD in the Trailhawk I’d personally go for it for less drama on the trail and let it work out of the box without modifying anything, if adding an LSD or locker later was in the thought process. Years ago when they came back out with the Quadra drive I was very impressed with its fully locked like performance on the particularly tight twisty muddy NW trail system. Maybe it is a different animal now. That said I do hope the Quadra track system alone will work well for most situations and potentially anywhere where this rig can fit without body damage.

Grassland

On the WJ the quadra drive system used front and rear electronic gerotor pump limited slips. The WK2 had rear only ELSD but added brake force traction control as well.
It's a shame you need the air suspension and a much higher trim just to get the ELSD in the rear only in the WK2, especially since there is no aftermarket support.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles