WJ Question

ColoCherokees

Observer
Wifey and I are expecting progeny number two in March, and so are looking for a suitable family vehicle that isn't a minivan. The new vehicle needs to accomodate two kids' car seats (one infant, one toddler), with the caveat that I'm 6'2" and thus have the driver's seat positioned all the way back in my XJ.

Anyone have real world experience with putting two car seats in the back of a WJ, with the driver's seat at or near full rear position? Do-able? Other (non minivan) vehicle suggestions? Target price is in the neighborhood of $10K.

wjtoy

I believe I can speak to your question. I previously owned a '97 XJ and currently own a '00 WJ. I am 6' 3", have two kids both in car seats. In my experience, my kiddos fit better in the WJ. The extra width of the vehicle I think helped with overall feel. The rear cargo areas are similar. Hope this helps

jerstw

Adventurer
I am also 6'2" and 235lbs and went from an '00 XJ to a '02 WJ when the second kid showed up. The WJ certainly provides more leg room for me and the kid sitting behind, however as my oldest is now 6 we are realizing I am not giving him any leg room in the back seat when I have the driver seat all the way back. I love my WJ but the next rig is going to be a full-size of some sort (leaning towards used Mega Cab or Land Cruiser).

juicexj24

Observer
I agree, I have an XJ for offroad and two WJ's. One for the wife and one for my DD. We have two girls, 5 and 3 and they have a lot of room for them in the back seats and our gear in the back. I'm 6' so I have plenty of room.

Attachments

• 3-back (Custom).JPG
    3-back (Custom).JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 13

JChatary

Outdoor Daydreamer
I have twin 4 1/2 year old sons, and I can work 2 car seats in the back seats of my WJ perfectly...and I'm 6' 3"...so sliding my driver seat up a bit gives plenty of room for whoever sits behind me!

ColoCherokees

Observer
Thanks all, for the input - good to know the kiddos will fit if we decide to go for a WJ. Amauri - cool WJ, but one modified Jeep in the stable is all the frustration/discomfort/joy my wife will allow (for now), ha!

99wj

Adventurer
im 6'2" im my wj, you would be surprised it has pretty deep front floorboards, my seat is just about an inch from being all the way back, there is plenty of room in the back bench for people and gear, and the cargo area is also quite roomy, also if your target price is 10k you can almost get 2 wj's, they're not that pricey, its a little tough to find one under 100k miles though. ***the only thing about the WJ's, if your gonna get the 4.7 V8 model (this engine is a rock!!), say good bye to gas mileage, even keeping out of the throttle I get about 10MPG, and not fully loaded.

JeepN95YJ

Adventurer
if your gonna get the 4.7 V8 model (this engine is a rock!!), say good bye to gas mileage, even keeping out of the throttle I get about 10MPG, and not fully loaded.

You have something wrong.....my '99 regularly returns 20mpg hwy and 16 city with 156,000 miles and the original plugs/wires.

99wj

Adventurer
You have something wrong.....my '99 regularly returns 20mpg hwy and 16 city with 156,000 miles and the original plugs/wires.

oh man i wish i got those kinda numbers, ill tell you why its that stupid Quadratrac 2, the thing is AWD all the time, that eats my gas (i don't really have a heavy right foot either), but like someone said it might be the o2 sensors, hey i'm all for changing em.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018

I get about the same with my '99, returns an average of 19 mpg, mostly at elevations above 5500 ft.

Amauri

Explorer
Thanks all, for the input - good to know the kiddos will fit if we decide to go for a WJ. Amauri - cool WJ, but one modified Jeep in the stable is all the frustration/discomfort/joy my wife will allow (for now), ha!

Just stick it behind the house somewhere she'll never notice!!!

:sombrero:

Amauri

Explorer
My dad has a 4.7HO on 35's that i take care of for him, i get about 8mpg but my foot is %100 lead :smiley_drive:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles