Wiring questions. Lots of questions

Copasspupil

Observer
I’m a little confused and looking for help. I am placing a 7pin wiring harness to my trailer. So I went to etrailer bought their 4 wire setup and the additional wires. I also went in their diagrams and it clearly states that electric brakes should have a minimum of 10-12 g wire and so should the white ground wire. The 4 wire are all 16 gauge wire. So I decide that I need to change to the thicker wire to make it right.

Now I’m thinking about the auxiliary battery and waterproof toggle panel control for the lights. What are people using? Are you using a solenoid by the tow rigs battery and running the wire there, at the rear bumper or inside the trailer box?

I was planning on using a toggle panel, a fuse panel for it also. Am I missing anything else?

Copasspupil

Observer
Yup. I was told to wire up a ground similar to engines straps. As in the more the better. Off the junction box to the frame, a separate wire from the box to the electric brake wire and an additional wire to the frame to the ground on the electric brake again. Does that make sense. The funny part was when I bought additional wire for this, the video talks about wiring for electric brakes with a dedicated wire setup with positive and negative jacketed together. That wire is 16g what the heck?

Any advise on the inside the trailer box setup?

Copasspupil

Observer
I was planning on only 1 battery for now. I have a Honda generator for the trailer also for plug in devices. I’m not quite sure in solar power though I see many here using it so for now I was going to start with this.

Max amp for 10” is 8.2
I bought 10g for the brakes positive and negative

I was told to go with 12g for the battery since it’s a slow charge. Using a blue fire led 6 gang rocker switch panel waterproof, their common busbar, and a fuse panel.

Copasspupil

Observer
Sorry I’m using my phone since for some reason I can’t use my computer here. It won’t take my password.

My brakes are 10” electric brakes. My info on my brakes came from the dexter website. My gauge wire is 10 gauge since it was just what Napa had in there stock for the length of 15’. They had 12 gauge wire but the length was only 10’.

Copasspupil

Observer
Sorry I’m using my phone since for some reason I can’t use my computer here. It won’t take my password.

My brakes are 10” electric brakes. My info on my brakes came from the dexter website. My gauge wire is 10 gauge since it was just what Napa had in there stock for the length of 15’. They had 12 gauge wire but the length was only 10’.

All my lights are leds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles