wiring question ...

jeffryscott

2006 Rally Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
Adding my IPF 968 lights to my 4Runner and have a quick wiring question.

There are two wires to the power (one goes to the battery, the other is supposed to be spliced into the lights.) Is it safe for the switch, relay, lights, etc... to put the second hot wire directly to the battery so I can operate the IPF's independantly?

Thanks,

Jeff

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Clarification please. This "second wire for the power"....I think you are talking about the control side of the circuit, correct? Sometimes people will wire this into the high beam circuit so that the aux. lights come on with the high beams. I have no idea why......

But, you should have 2 +12v circuits. One, the Load circuit, which starts at the battery, or better yet, a fuse block fed off of the battery, goes through the load side of a relay, and ends at your lights (which are then grounded to either the chassis, or back to the battery).

The other +12v circuit, the "control" circuit is what opens and closes the contacts of the relay. This is the one that some people wire into the hi beam circuit. You can get source voltage anywhere you want for this, but would be wise to take it from a circuit that is not extremely voltage sensative. Take it from, say, the battery side of the headlight circuit (pre-headlight switch), not from the circuit powering your ECM.

Below is a diagram I stole from the net...the wire they have going to the on/off switch is the control circuit (what I think you are referring to)--get that power from wherever you want...just remember that if you don't take it from a switched source (one that loses power when you turn the ignition switch off), it is possible to have the lights on with the engine off--which will drain your battery if you forget to turn them off.

jeffryscott

2006 Rally Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
yup, control circuit is the one in question. I was looking for the simplest place to hook into and thought the battery was it.

Would I do any damage to anything if I did indeed go straight to the battery? I would have to remember to keep the lights off, but as bright as they are, I doubt that would be a problem.:)

Thanks for clarifying which is which. I know two yellow wires for power isn't a great description ...

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
TACODOC said:
Great write up Pete! That info made my decision to go with IPF's alot easier :D

Thanks Dave!

It's been almost two years since I did that review and I still love them. They have held up amazingly well. In my opinion, the light pattern is perfect for fireroads. It's saves the life of a few deer from becoming venison every year. No regrets on that purchase at all.

Wouldn't mind tracking down some clear covers for them one day though...

Pete

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
mountainpete said:
Wouldn't mind tracking down some clear covers for them one day though...

I just saw a set on ebay (clear covers for 968's) but didnt buy them... they went for about $20 and were in ARB packaging... kinda regret not snatching them up... ARB USA imports IPF's so they are the source for all accessories.

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
TACODOC said:
I just saw a set on ebay (clear covers for 968's) but didnt buy them... they went for about $20 and were in ARB packaging... kinda regret not snatching them up... ARB USA imports IPF's so they are the source for all accessories.

Doh! $20 would have been a great price! The clear covers would be nice for giving the old "super high beams" to people who cut you off in traffic :shakin:

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
mountainpete said:
Doh! $20 would have been a great price! The clear covers would be nice for giving the old "super high beams" to people who cut you off in traffic :shakin:

That is an outstanding price!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94