Wiring Fridge Using ARB Universal Socket Mount

jnack

I utilize the ARB universal threaded socket to power my Dometic fridge as it is secure and out of the way. I am planning on increasing my from 10 gauge to 8 gauge wire as I've got an excessive voltage drop. One thing I'm having difficult figuring out is the best way to connect the 8 gauge wire onto those terminals on the socket which is essentially at a 90 degree angle. Currently the 10 gauge wire is just crimped to straight disconnects and that barely fits. I'm looking for something like this: https://www.autozone.com/miscellane...zTsMKm3j8mRJFQ2-KI4aAmC-EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds that will fit an 8 gauge wire.

I feel like a flag terminal would be best but I haven't been able to get my hands on a flag terminal for 8 gauge wire. Any ideas?
arb10900028_1.15_1.jpg

Last edited:

mobydick 11

I installed two of them last year . Both times I drilled a hole centered in the bottom .pulled the wires through then crimped on the terminals . you can then pull the wires back and slide them straight on the male side . you can back off the nut and pull the socket ahead for more room to work . put a bit of sealant around the hole .

jadmt

ignore button user
I installed two of them last year . Both times I drilled a hole centered in the bottom .pulled the wires through then crimped on the terminals . you can then pull the wires back and slide them straight on the male side . you can back off the nut and pull the socket ahead for more room to work . put a bit of sealant around the hole .
X2

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Or you can give up on the socket entirely and use terminal strips with screws and ring terminals for a connection point. The cord can still be unplugged from the fridge end if needed.

Alloy

1.) Switch the socket to an Anderson that works with 8ga. If your using 8ga I suspect the ARB socket is at the top end of the amperage capacity.

2.) If your wiring for voltage drop (not full amperage) the wire can be reduced to fit into a 10ga terminal using the 10ga hole in a wire stipper

3.) If your wiring for volatage drop (not full amperage) make 95% of the run with 8ga and then reduce the wire to 10 ga with a butt connector.

4.) The holes in the disconnects can be enlarged to bolt terminals on . To do this the terminals need to be bent +/-45 degrees. This is a PINA to do.

mobydick 11

I am way over my head here . But when you purchase a new ARB fridge and wiring kit they strongly tell you to wire directly to the battery ,and not to go through any other electrical device . There kit has a inline fuse in the harness .

jnack

when you say you drilled a hole are you talking about the hole that the ARB socket covers up or are you talking about making a hole in the ARB socket cover?

jnack

I am way over my head here . But when you purchase a new ARB fridge and wiring kit they strongly tell you to wire directly to the battery ,and not to go through any other electrical device . There kit has a inline fuse in the harness .

im not using the complete ARB kit, just the socket. it's wired through my fuse block which is commonly done and shouldn't be more of an issue than inline fuse as far as i understand

gatorgrizz27

As Verstad said, just use a butt connector to step it down to 10 gauge, then a spade connector. A few inches of smaller gauge wire won’t measurably change anything.

I find it strange that you’re getting a significant voltage drop with 10 gauge unless you’ve got a really long run like the back of an Earthroamer. I haven’t finished my wiring yet, but I’ve got 4 gauge from my battery to a solenoid, then 8 gauge to the fuse block, then 10 gauge to the fridge plug.

Remember the ground is important too.

jnack

1.) Switch the socket to an Anderson that works with 8ga. If your using 8ga I suspect the ARB socket is at the top end of the amperage capacity.

2.) If your wiring for voltage drop (not full amperage) the wire can be reduced to fit into a 10ga terminal using the 10ga hole in a wire stipper

3.) If your wiring for volatage drop (not full amperage) make 95% of the run with 8ga and then reduce the wire to 10 ga with a butt connector.

4.) The holes in the disconnects can be enlarged to bolt terminals on . To do this the terminals need to be bent +/-45 degrees. This is a PINA to do.

2 or 3 seem most plausible. Is one preferable to the other?

4) do you have a picture of this? i'm not sure how understanding how this would work

jnack

As Verstad said, just use a butt connector to step it down to 10 gauge, then a spade connector. A few inches of smaller gauge wire won’t measurably change anything.

I find it strange that you’re getting a significant voltage drop with 10 gauge unless you’ve got a really long run like the back of an Earthroamer. I haven’t finished my wiring yet, but I’ve got 4 gauge from my battery to a solenoid, then 8 gauge to the fuse block, then 10 gauge to the fridge plug.

Remember the ground is important too.

yeah, i was a bit surprised too -- it's a 2 gauge from aux battery to fuse block (overkill, but i had spare lying around), and from there it's 10 gauge from the engine bay to the back seat of my tacoma. the ground is also 10 gauge and it's grounded on the fuse block negative terminal in the engine bay

WOODY2

Adventurer
could try to do a chassis ground, would cut your wiring nearly in half.. for a fridge its fine.
yeah, i was a bit surprised too -- it's a 2 gauge from aux battery to fuse block (overkill, but i had spare lying around), and from there it's 10 gauge from the engine bay to the back seat of my tacoma. the ground is also 10 gauge and it's grounded on the fuse block negative terminal in the engine bay
Something is wrong with having a large voltage drop in that relatively short run. Compromised wire?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94