Wireless control lighting

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
I came across this and though I'd share it here too.
2Kool Technologies

They have a special going: Online Special- Starter kit $49.

That kit would make wiring a set of lights, or even two sets easy. No wires through the firewall. You would need to add the appropriate relay to handle the load as these are not designed for large loads. Need more? Add another receiver.

Hmmm... Maybe recess a set of lights into my cargo box? All the controls , receivers, etc. could be mounted inside. A couple plates mounted into one of the bows. One isolated as the positive and the other the ground. rub a little electrical grease on them when setting the cargo box on the bow. Corresponding plates on the attached box. Separated with some distance and under a point of attachment. Tighten it down to make good contact. Easy on, and easy off. No connectors to worry about. Clean the connection plates with some steel wool once and a while. You would want a good breaker on the supply line so that power could be disconnected when not in use , or while installing. I would not want to accidentally short them. No wiring switches. Velcro a remote in the truck for operation, and carry one in a pocket for camp use.

I could see a magnetic base mount lamp with a receiver. Have plates on the vehicle or trailer with an isolated power plate in the center. Attach the magnet to the plate and have remotely controlled lighting. Pull off and stow easily. No worry of brush or trail damage. Lots of ideas

Last edited:

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
Well no one interested I guess ;) I will go ahead and update the progress since someone might find the idea useful.

Got a little start today-
bow3.jpg
bow1.jpg

I used some brass screw rivets soldered to a terminal end attached to a 12 ga wire. This one above uses a plastic screw cover and cap to insulate it under the headliner. Nylon finish washers insulate it from contact with the metal through the roof. A little sealer and it screws together.

bow4.jpg
bow2.jpg

The same rivets were used as the contacts in the bow. I just drilled the rubber insert and tightened them into place. The brass head is flat and approximately 1 cm in diameter. Mounted in rubber like this it should help to promote a good contact.

The bow is on and the power wire run down the "A" post, through the firewall grommet to the battery via an inline fuse. The left side grounds to the roof rack mounting bolt.

The install is virtually invisible. All you can see is the brass contact on the top of the bow. The next step is too start modding the box for contacts and wirelessly controlled lights.

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
Henry,

This is exactly what I want. I would love to do some aux lighting with a remote control set-up, instead of switches. I'll be watching this with interest, thanks.

Imagine how easy it would be to have new lighting if you only have to run a hot wire and not mess with switching it...

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
Done!

I used some leftover wiring from a couple light sets. The receiver and relay are mounted with velcro, as is one of the remotes attached to the upper console.

box6.jpg
box8.jpg

I had a few of those plastic covers used for the side post battery terminals. They are usually discarded when you install a battery, but I hang on to them. They worked really well as insulators for the box contacts and are color coded red / black. I drilled a 1/4" hole in the top and pushed 1/4" carriage bolts through them. Another one on top with a washer and nut to tighten them up. Then add my terminal connection and nut to secure it. Top that off with a red cap. That made for a simple secure insulated contact.

box7.jpg
box9.jpg

The box is as easy as it was without lights to mount and remove. One step better than plug-n-play, wireless control and mounting :D

I still need to add a dome light. I haven't scrounged what I want just yet.

I have one more receiver. I think that one will be for rock lighting. I am in no hurry, but happen to have a pair of projector fog lamps that might just find their way under the truck.

Here is what it looks like now-

lights.jpg

This is the winch lights. They are focused for the fog and centerline-

winchlts.jpg

This is the cargo box mounted lights. They are a wide beam and light up the sides pretty good-

boxlts.jpg

This is all the lights and the quad beams. The quad beams include HIR bulbs in the highbeams and the highbeam bulbs in the lows-

alllts.jpg

The transmitters work at about the same distance. Probably just over 100 ft. The cargo box receiver will turn the lights on much further, probably twice that far, but will not shut them off at that distance.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94