Winter tent liner

Greybeard415

Greetings Programs,
This last July I purchased a Smittybilt Overlander XL tent/annex combo. I’ve used it only three times so far but would like to use it this winter.
Has anyone done some research on the thermal liners from say Tepui, 23-zero or any comparable model to see which, if any, might fit the Smittybilt XL? Thx!

moridinbg

I got the Autohome winter liner for my Maggiolina and honestly, I am less than impressed, especially considering the price. I have only used it at 9C ambient, but inside it only got to 14C after one night with 2 people. In early spring I camped at 8C ambient without the liner and it got to 12C after the night with two people. The only benefit I see from it is that it stops wind better than with just the tent canvas. You can blow through the canvas, but can't through the liner. There are much cheaper (and more ghetto) solutions to this.

I had way, way better results with a diesel heater that I put in a plastic toolbox. I struggled to get under 20C inside with both windows opened and one entrance slightly ajar at 10C ambient.
I somehow doubt that other vendors winter hoods will be much different.

Winter liner

IMG_0676.jpeg

Test setup with the diesel heater

IMG_1713.jpeg

Greybeard415

I got the Autohome winter liner for my Maggiolina and honestly, I am less than impressed, especially considering the price. I have only used it at 9C ambient, but inside it only got to 14C after one night with 2 people. In early spring I camped at 8C ambient without the liner and it got to 12C after the night with two people. The only benefit I see from it is that it stops wind better than with just the tent canvas. You can blow through the canvas, but can't through the liner. There are much cheaper (and more ghetto) solutions to this.

I had way, way better results with a diesel heater that I put in a plastic toolbox. I struggled to get under 20C inside with both windows opened and one entrance slightly ajar at 10C ambient.
I somehow doubt that other vendors winter hoods will be much different.

Winter liner

View attachment 693023

Test setup with the diesel heater

View attachment 693024
So I took your input to heart and obtained an all-in-one Chinese Diesel Heater as well. What a game changer! That thing is SO sweet! I ordered it off Walmart.com, delivered for $120. Can’t beat that with a bat! I am still on the hunt for a tent liner, I think the one for the ROAM Vagabond will fit the Smitty XL, but after some camping and some upgrades already, that CDH is THE piece of kit that truly makes my tent/annex a home away from home. Thank you SO much for that suggestion!

PS- I saw in your pic that yours looks like you mounted it in a tool box. I like that idea too, as mine came with a flimsy sheet metal housing that has been dented and scratched and just isn’t quite as rugged as I’d like it to be. After finishing up the gift shopping for the family for Christmas, I think Santa is going to bring me one of the Harbor Freight /Pelican knock-offs and I’m going to transfer the guts of my All-In-One into it. Several You-Tubers have done it and there are a few peoplenow making them commercially for the Overlanding crowd. Mind you, they are pretty proud of them, but they should be if they can deliver the goods. I’m just too cheap and also fairly good at Monkey-See-Monkey-Do (DIY) to not try it myself first. Anyway, thanks for the insight and inspiration!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles