Winter All weather Tires. 3Peak Logo.

bkg

Explorer
Can’t comment on snow but cooper at3 to the fallkens is night and day. Only had 20k on the coopers and they were LOUD. Flakens super quiet. Did great in the desert at 15psi. Excited for snow.

Had this problem with Coopers as well. It was an odd sound from the tires. Meaning, wasn't a howl, but wasn't a roar. Was just odd.

Only complaints with the Falkens thus far has been the silicone-like-smell when new. Otherwise, they can't be beat for the price, IMHO. My neighbor just switched from Coopers and is now looking at falkens for his tow rig as well.

jadmt

ignore button user
Had this problem with Coopers as well. It was an odd sound from the tires. Meaning, wasn't a howl, but wasn't a roar. Was just odd.

Only complaints with the Falkens thus far has been the silicone-like-smell when new. Otherwise, they can't be beat for the price, IMHO. My neighbor just switched from Coopers and is now looking at falkens for his tow rig as well.
odd on the smell probably just the mold releasing agent. I have an attached garage and never noticed any smell other than new rubber smell which has always been present on any new tire. I did not keep my AT3 coopers long enough for them to get loud but I have had several sets of ST Maxx (2 sets of 285/75-17 one set of 295/70-17 and a set of 315/70-17 and a set of 285/70-17) and they are quiet until about 10,000 miles or so and then they start getting loud. Funny thing is they have no signs of uneven wear so not sure why all of the sudden they start making the turbine noise.

bkg

Explorer
odd on the smell probably just the mold releasing agent. I have an attached garage and never noticed any smell other than new rubber smell which has always been present on any new tire.

it's a weird smell. My neighbor noticed it right away after having his installed. I've noticed it on my 295's on the F365 and the 285's on my wife's 4Runner. Goes away, so likely release agent like you mentioned... or maybe just high silicon content? Either way, been happy with them!

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I've had good luck with Duratracs and the Falkens in the snow. Falkens beat the Duratracs everywhere else. The Toyo Open Country CT sucks. It was useless despite having the 3peak symbol. The Hankooks Dynapro ATMs are solid to.
I'm running Duratracs now and have liked them. Almost due for a new set. What do the Falkens beat the Duratracs at? How do the Falkens wear compared to the Duratracs? I've got 60K on mine so far. So, hoping to get the same kind of mileage out of the next set of tires.

tacollie

Glamper
I'm running Duratracs now and have liked them. Almost due for a new set. What do the Falkens beat the Duratracs at? How do the Falkens wear compared to the Duratracs? I've got 60K on mine so far. So, hoping to get the same kind of mileage out of the next set of tires.
I only have 7k mile on my Falkens so I can't comment on longevity. I feel like they are pretty similar. The Falkens seen to be more true to size. The Duratracs were a hair small in both sizes I ran. The Falkens were a lot cheaper. Between the two I would but which ever was cheaper.

jadmt

ignore button user
I missed what you are running them on. I can tell you that at 5000 miles my Falkens in 255/80-17 on a fairly heavy Jeep Wrangler 4 door look like they will never wear out. I hate that in a tire as I like an excuse to buy new tires :) I have put 32000 miles in my wrangler in the last two years and have had OEM tires (taken off within 300 miles) Cooper ST Maxx's in 295/70-17, 285/75-17 and 315/70-17 and the Falkens. I always run two sets one for offroading and one for just running around and winter use.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I missed what you are running them on. I can tell you that at 5000 miles my Falkens in 255/80-17 on a fairly heavy Jeep Wrangler 4 door look like they will never wear out. I hate that in a tire as I like an excuse to buy new tires :) I have put 32000 miles in my wrangler in the last two years and have had OEM tires (taken off within 300 miles) Cooper ST Maxx's in 295/70-17, 285/75-17 and 315/70-17 and the Falkens. I always run two sets one for offroading and one for just running around and winter use.
Sorry, running them on a 2015 F150. I didn't bother putting my vehicle in my signature cause it looks like the other 12,547 silver F150 Supercrews you saw today, haha.

jadmt

ignore button user
I just mentioned in another thread about this. I went from BFG AT KO (old style) in stock sized 265/70R16 (supposed to be 30.6" x 10.4", came with the truck when I bought it) to 235/85R16 KO2 which appeared to run right at size (supposed to be 31.7" x 9.3") to Falken Wildpeak A/T3W in 265/75R16.

These are supposed to measure 31.65" x 10.4", e.g. -0.2% compared to the 235/85 or + 3.4% over stock but based on the speed error these are only around 1% larger than stock, less than 1 MPH different at 70 MPH compared to the 235/85 KO2 that ran about 3 MPH off at 70 MPH. Of course this is not absolutely precise but my speedometer is close enough to GPS checked speed that I don't have to do the mental arithmetic.

All my tires have been mounted on Toyota factory 16x7 JJ wheels so if anything the 235/85R16 should have been spread wider and I'd have thought would be the lowest profile.

Other than the potential size question they ride a bit softer and are significantly quieter on the highway. So far I'm pleased I went with them. And in case it's important these say "Made in USA" on all four.

Nice. I wish mine were. They have a plant near Buffalo, NY (owned by Sumitomo of Thailand ) . I wonder what sizes are produced there? mine are Taiwan made :(

jadmt

ignore button user
Taiwan or Thailand? Wasn't aware of them being made in Taiwan.
sorry Thailand
IMG_20191125_113359841_zpsqjql7nak.jpg

tacollie

Glamper
I just mentioned in another thread about this. I went from BFG AT KO (old style) in stock sized 265/70R16 (supposed to be 30.6" x 10.4", came with the truck when I bought it) to 235/85R16 KO2 which appeared to run right at size (supposed to be 31.7" x 9.3") to Falken Wildpeak A/T3W in 265/75R16.

These are supposed to measure 31.65" x 10.4", e.g. -0.2% compared to the 235/85 or + 3.4% over stock but based on the speed error these are only around 1% larger than stock, less than 1 MPH different at 70 MPH compared to the 235/85 KO2 that ran about 3 MPH off at 70 MPH. Of course this is not absolutely precise but my speedometer is close enough to GPS checked speed that I don't have to do the mental arithmetic.

All my tires have been mounted on Toyota factory 16x7 JJ wheels so if anything the 235/85R16 should have been spread wider and I'd have thought would be the lowest profile.

Other than the potential size question they ride a bit softer and are significantly quieter on the highway. So far I'm pleased I went with them. And in case it's important these say "Made in USA" on all four.
My 235/85r16 Duratracs were right at 31" 4runner split 3 spokes wheels. My Falken 285/70r17 are 33" on my TRD rock rock wheels.

I’ve had many different sets of tires for the Sierra summers and winters. Whatever you do, don’t skimp. Cheap tires can be quite costly. Find what works best for the majority of your driving.

A dedicated winter tire was great for us. I commute all across the Sierra and need a tire I can depend on when the snow gets deep. I went with the Firestone Winterforce. But, they barely got 30k miles. And, I didn’t like changing them with the TPMS. I also had Duratracs. But, they lost their balance after three rotations and were difficult to keep in line. The Cooper tires have been my favorites. The ATW was a pretty sweet all-around tire. I even ran that through Death Valley pulling our teardrop. They handled things well. But, I was a bit scared running a “winter” tire off road. Now, I’m on the ST Maxx. They’s a pretty legit tire. But, they can be a bit loud. They’ve definitely taken quite a bit of abuse on and off the road. They continue to keep on working well.

Pay attention to siping, if it’ll be on packed roads. Deep lugs are essential for deep snow. Soft compounds are great for the cold. But, they’ll quickly melt away when the season changes.

Joker

Adventurer
Just put the BFG 265x75x17 on the 4Runner a month ago and zero slip going up and back down this hill.

BFG.jpg

jeffjeeptj

Adventurer
I have run AT KOs for many years on a Wrangler TJ, a Rubicon LJ, and a Sequoia. Ran them year round. In sizes 32x10.5-15: 33x12.5-15, 265/75-16 and 2 sets of 265/70-17. Both KOs and KO2.
Glare ice was an issue, but as long as I had something I could grip, then I went along fine. Of course, took it easy And drove smart up and down hills. One time I had to “pass” many many stuck vehicles that gathered up both sides of a valley. Took it easy, and no mishaps.
Another time drove 100 miles to Nashville in a slushy snow storm that ended up closing the interstate, the snow built up fast As we drove. The Sequoia in AWD got us to the airport so we could fly out. Just yesterday, went thru some very loose sand in Florida with no problems, but, with proper attention.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles