Winter All weather Tires. 3Peak Logo.

ucs308

Observer
I need to replace the tires on a 4x4 Tacoma I bought. I spend a lot of time in NorCal ( Shasta/Medford) on frozen roads, and snow, but most of my time in SF Bay Area. My 4Runner has Blizzaks on it, but for the Tacoma I am looking for something that can be worn all year round. I want to go beyond the M+S logo most tires have to a tire with the 3Peak logo. Currently the Tacoma has 245/75/R16. The Tacoma does not bush whack, the worst it sees are muddy fire roads and gravel roads. I looked at Nokian's WR G3 but they don't come in 245's. I put Goodyear weather-ready on the Subaru.

So my questions are..
What tire sizes are people using?
What tire brands/models are people using that includes the 3Peak logo or all year round winter capable tires.

Thanks in advance.

jadmt

ignore button user
I have had both Cooper AT3 and Falken at3w and I would chose the Falkens even tho I love my tires made in the USA. I have run plenty of Cooper ST maxx's and like those really well but no 3 peak logo altho they do great in all conditions. Falkens usually can be bought pretty cheap thru TireBuyer.com and they have shipped very fast to my local installer. I am amazed at how well the Falken at3w hook up on wet roads. yesterday I was driving in a heavy cold rain and for kicks tried to play "lets break the rear end loose on the skid pad" and they just stuck. I have about 5000 miles on this set and they look new.

bkg

Explorer
I have had both Cooper AT3 and Falken at3w and I would chose the Falkens even tho I love my tires made in the USA. I have run plenty of Cooper ST maxx's and like those really well but no 3 peak logo altho they do great in all conditions. Falkens usually can be bought pretty cheap thru TireBuyer.com and they have shipped very fast to my local installer. I am amazed at how well the Falken at3w hook up on wet roads. yesterday I was driving in a heavy cold rain and for kicks tried to play "lets break the rear end loose on the skid pad" and they just stuck. I have about 5000 miles on this set and they look new.

Same. Had two sets of Coopers, now two sets of Falkens. Much happier with the Falkens.

rkj__

Adventurer
I went with the Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015 for my last purchase. I only drove them in the snow and ice a few times (because I already had dedicated winter tires, and salt would have eaten the polished aluminum wheels the A/Ts were mounted on), but they always got me to where I was going safely, with a confident feel.

The Falken A/T3W gets a ton of recommendations these days. It's extremely rare for me to read negative feedback on those.

ucs308

Observer
Thanks for the responses. I’ll take a look at the Falkens.

I use KO2’s in the summer on the 4Runner. The first winter kept them on and i tried them in wet snow. The pattern filled up with wet slush and wouldn’t shed. End up getting stuck on my ( inclined ) driveway!!

jadmt

ignore button user
Thanks for the responses. I’ll take a look at the Falkens.

I use KO2’s in the summer on the 4Runner. The first winter kept them on and i tried them in wet snow. The pattern filled up with wet slush and wouldn’t shed. End up getting stuck on my ( inclined ) driveway!!
I have a pretty apples to apples compare with the Falkens and the KO2. I I had the KO2 in 34x10.5-17 and Falkens in 255/80-17 and nearly identical in size. They are very similar performing tires. I live in Montana and was always happy with winter performance of the KO2's just not the price. I have a 4 door wrangler so probably somewhat similar to a 4runner. No way you should have got stuck. Might have been a glare ice situation or something where nothing short of chains would help but just in slush or snow they performed great.

toastyjosh

Adventurer
I have had really good luck in the snow with Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac tires, both powder and slush.
I also have good luck with the BFG Ko AT as well.
Both tires have done really well in all winter conditions.

tacollie

Glamper
I've had good luck with Duratracs and the Falkens in the snow. Falkens beat the Duratracs everywhere else. The Toyo Open Country CT sucks. It was useless despite having the 3peak symbol. The Hankooks Dynapro ATMs are solid to.

billiebob

One thing to consider is any winter tire will have a softer compound and wear fast on a hot summer highway. I completely understand the desire to run one tire year round but the compromise might be expensive. 4 season tires are all about compromise.

Can’t comment on snow but cooper at3 to the fallkens is night and day. Only had 20k on the coopers and they were LOUD. Flakens super quiet. Did great in the desert at 15psi. Excited for snow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles