Winnebago Revel rear seat belt question

Johnbonn

We looked at the Revel pretty nice. It is set up for four season so checks that block. Indoor outdoor shower great. 4x4 again great and all the standard safety warnings and alerts for the driver is great. The only box that it didn’t check is shoulder belts for the rear passenger and I believe there is no side airbag back there either. Anyone know of a solution for shoulder belts and wether the side airbag is still there? The dealer has looked into it but no solution for the belts and the airbag didn’t know so figured I would reach out to Winnebago on that one. Any ideas on shoulder belts for the grandchildren back there, thoughts?

eporter

Adventurer
Most RVs of this size are setup for a solo person or a couple. Hard finding family friendly rear seats that are safe. Some have seatbelts, but they’re just lap belts bolted to a box or maybe the floor...

Best bet for shoulder belts would likely involve bolting in factory Sprinter or Ford Transit seats with Integrated seat belts. 3rd row Yukon/Tahoe seats have the integrated belts but need a custom base to raise them up to a comfortable sitting position. Of course this would likely mess up the nicely designed interior layout...

Many van shops can handle this kind of seating addition.

Johnbonn

Sorry should have explained the Revel has a rear seat that is for seating two side by side and has lap belts only. The wall behind doesn’t appear to be structural but thought the side wall inboard would work but told no. And mounting another seat doesn’t seem practical due to lack of space. It’s pretty tight inside.

Attachments

• BF68EFC2-1C3A-4B94-A694-2BD2B0F32F03.jpeg
    BF68EFC2-1C3A-4B94-A694-2BD2B0F32F03.jpeg
    266 KB · Views: 59

eporter

Adventurer
Yep, thats what I was getting at. I saw something online about the lap belts there being bolted to a steel frame, so maybe they’re at least a little better than the average RV lap belts. Ok for little car seats but not bigger kids.

Yukon 3rd row is two pieces. 48” wide total and 23” deep.
745d2b3741d442b24ab18d521784b483.jpg

Or make the seat removable so you can swap in a captains chair with integrated shoulder belt?

Probably no simple solutions using the existing walls/van if you want shoulder belts.

Last edited:

Johnbonn

Thank you for the thoughts. I can’t remember what was in the seat base and if it can be relocated. Good though on just pulling that one out and putting in one with shoulder belts. If I remember something is in there.

mgmetalworks

Explorer
There are a couple options out there for shoulder belt seats....

here's one https://www.wildernessvans.com/collections/seats

and another

Stevemo

Phone a few professional engineers and see what they think about the seat belts. They can whip up a drawing showing the location and attachment method of a 3-point seat belt. Some are more practical than others, we have a great guy at work who would figure it out in 20 minutes and give a simple solution.
That being said, the Revel may have been crash tested as-is and it may be fine. I would inquire about that with the manufacturer.

Pinnacle Campers

Chateau spotter
There are a couple options out there for shoulder belt seats....

here's one https://www.wildernessvans.com/collections/seats

and another

I was literally just contemplating sending you a DM to inquire if you made any frames for 2 person fold down seats like this.
I was imagining something that has removable panels that could be taken to the upholster to transform into a seat base/back and bolt on to the frame, storage in the box below, etc.
Those Travois products are pricey....the wilderness seat might work for my needs.

To stay on topic the yukon and the wilderness seat will still need a steel base made for it. Does the Revel have a steel base?

Johnbonn

Phone a few professional engineers and see what they think about the seat belts. They can whip up a drawing showing the location and attachment method of a 3-point seat belt. Some are more practical than others, we have a great guy at work who would figure it out in 20 minutes and give a simple solution.
That being said, the Revel may have been crash tested as-is and it may be fine. I would inquire about that with the manufacturer.

The manufacture was not much help Winnebago that is. No solution. And four of us would be great two young grandchildren, the only time we would all in there is bedtime. We are outdoor people.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
Just out of curiosity how old are the grandkids?

I have a 3 and 5 year old. They can be in booster seats but using vehicle seat belts requires shoulder belts. I do have Diono Rainer car seats which have integrated harnesses and can be used for bigger kids, and believe they can be secured with only lap belts. All of the manufacturers seem to have different setups, you might be able to find something that works....?

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
John,

As a side note - I don't know how much you are informed about the 4x4 system on the Sprinter but just wanted to point out that's it's actually closer to a 2WD/AWD than a true 4x4 system. In normal use it's a Rear Wheel Drive vehicle and you have the option to switch it (after you stop) to AWD with 35%/65% distribution. It does not have any locker but uses a traction control system (4ETS) to detect which wheel needs traction. It seems to be very capable (I never tried one myself).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles