Winnebago EKKO

Alloy

on a side note. Our ekko didn't come with a batwing because it was a rig we fell into. Our order is still...well on order.

Instead of the impossible to deal with company of alucab, we went with the 23zero Perigrine awning. We modified the original winnabego mounting brackets I ordered from them directly to mount I the same fashion. I measured against another ekko for placement of the brackets. pretty quick install.

by FreedomVanGo Van Builders, on Flickr

Did the mouting brackets get sealed so water doesn't enter along the inside (vertical) edge of the brackets?

Alloy

Can't really tell, but it looks like some of the internal structure is aluminum. If so, there will be tons of condensation and therefore rotting plywood in no time.

....and the screws through the plastic into the wall of the alum/plastic extrusion is sure to last offroad.

texasnielsen

Outdoorsman
Haven’t seen any activity on this thread lately. Anyone with an Ekko care to share a status of their experience with us? As the owner of a fairly significantly modded Revel I would be interested in hearing about this sistership from WGO. (I don’t do FB so have no idea about their owner page as someone suggested to me the other day).

A salute to all of our US veterans as we approach our US day of honor. ??????

martinf

I also own a Revel and I'm on the Ekko facebook group. The general consensus is that the Ekko is good at doing its thing but also keep in mind that there are a lot of first time rv owners in that group.

Anything specific you are looking for?

I would have definitely consider one if not for already having a Revel and then the Aeon came up which I believe is superior in quality to the Ekko.

texasnielsen

Outdoorsman
I also own a Revel and I'm on the Ekko facebook group. The general consensus is that the Ekko is good at doing its thing but also keep in mind that there are a lot of first time rv owners in that group.

Anything specific you are looking for?

I would have definitely consider one if not for already having a Revel and then the Aeon came up which I believe is superior in quality to the Ekko.
The Aeon is certainly an excellent build. What catches my eye with the EKKO versus the Aeon is the floor plan. I think the WGO is way more functional for my use; the actual purchase price difference would easily allow the WGO to be built out to the same levels and attain similar suspension, tire, lift, battery, etc. capabilities.
Some don’t like the driver compartment open to the living box. I prefer it. I’ve never had a problem keeping the Revel comfortable when the temps are in the 10-20s.
It’s a matter of use and frankly, (old) age. I am not doing the same things as I did in my 20-30s. The result is I don’t need Earthroamer capabilities for 95% of the dirt roads we have traveled over with the Revel. The Mrs would like a little more space and so we are kicking tires at this point.
Thanks for the response!

rruff

Explorer
... the actual purchase price difference would easily allow the WGO to be built out to the same levels and attain similar suspension, tire, lift, battery, etc. capabilities.

That's a good point... but make sure the duallies aren't an issue. Raising the rear shock mounts would be a real good idea on these. It still won't be as good as the Aeon in this respect, but maybe good enough?

Also really check and compare the quality of components and the build, along with the shell construction of the Ekko.

gregmchugh

Observer
The Aeon is certainly an excellent build. What catches my eye with the EKKO versus the Aeon is the floor plan. I think the WGO is way more functional for my use; the actual purchase price difference would easily allow the WGO to be built out to the same levels and attain similar suspension, tire, lift, battery, etc. capabilities.
Some don’t like the driver compartment open to the living box. I prefer it. I’ve never had a problem keeping the Revel comfortable when the temps are in the 10-20s.
It’s a matter of use and frankly, (old) age. I am not doing the same things as I did in my 20-30s. The result is I don’t need Earthroamer capabilities for 95% of the dirt roads we have traveled over with the Revel. The Mrs would like a little more space and so we are kicking tires at this point.
Thanks for the response!

I pretty much agree with your analysis. The AeonRV definitely is a higher quality build in terms of assembly and components, and has much better insulation with the Total Composite panels. But for me the floor plan in the EKKO is worth it by giving up those advantages. The entry way bath in the AeonRV is simply too cramped compared to a similar design in the Earthcruiser, I know that my body cannot use that toilet. The living space in the EKKO is much more functional with the cab connected to the cabin, the access to the bed, and the larger bath. The EKKO insulation and general quality is just good enough assuming you get all the little issues resolved. I would plan to do some upgrades to get it up to what I want but for me it would be a fine replacement when we downsize from our current rig. Not planning to buy for another year or two so something else may come along that I like better but for the moment I would go with the EKKO. Nothing really wrong with the AeonRV, in fact it is a very good design and seems to be very high quality, just not what I am looking for.

texasnielsen

Outdoorsman
That's a good point... but make sure the duallies aren't an issue. Raising the rear shock mounts would be a real good idea on these. It still won't be as good as the Aeon in this respect, but maybe good enough?

Also really check and compare the quality of components and the build, along with the shell construction of the Ekko.
No disagreement on any of your points. the dual rear wheels is a major concern with regard to picking up a terrorist rock intent on our demise. It’s one of the items keeping me on the fence.
As to which way to go with WGO or Aeon It’s all about the floor plan. The Aeon doesn’t cut it for us. Not an adequate amount of difference compared to my Revel IMO.

Jonnyo

Observer
No disagreement on any of your points. the dual rear wheels is a major concern with regard to picking up a terrorist rock intent on our demise. It’s one of the items keeping me on the fence.
As to which way to go with WGO or Aeon It’s all about the floor plan. The Aeon doesn’t cut it for us. Not an adequate amount of difference compared to my Revel IMO.

while i dont have a Ekko...i had a transit 350HD dually for 3.5 year going offroad a lot during that time as my main camping/adventure van. The dually was awesome, i never really pick up rocks and for stability, it was so much ahead of the single rear wheel that made it driving way more fun. So when it came time to build my own ''diy ekko'', i decided to go dually for those reason. i keep hearing the story of picking up rocks but so far...never happen to me. there is so little space between the tires, i m not sure how it would?

texasnielsen

Outdoorsman
I pretty much agree with your analysis. The AeonRV definitely is a higher quality build in terms of assembly and components, and has much better insulation with the Total Composite panels. But for me the floor plan in the EKKO is worth it by giving up those advantages. The entry way bath in the AeonRV is simply too cramped compared to a similar design in the Earthcruiser, I know that my body cannot use that toilet. The living space in the EKKO is much more functional with the cab connected to the cabin, the access to the bed, and the larger bath. The EKKO insulation and general quality is just good enough assuming you get all the little issues resolved. I would plan to do some upgrades to get it up to what I want but for me it would be a fine replacement when we downsize from our current rig. Not planning to buy for another year or two so something else may come along that I like better but for the moment I would go with the EKKO. Nothing really wrong with the AeonRV, in fact it is a very good design and seems to be very high quality, just not what I am looking for.
I have to assume you are a mind reader with your response. My feelings as well. ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles