Winnebago EKKO

CappyJax

I really like the Ekko. I think it would be great if someone offered a super single conversion kit. I think the rear axle is 7,200 pounds, so need 3,600 pound tires and only found one in 265/75R16 with an F load rating that would exceed that.

gregmchugh

Observer
I really like the Ekko. I think it would be great if someone offered a super single conversion kit. I think the rear axle is 7,200 pounds, so need 3,600 pound tires and only found one in 265/75R16 with an F load rating that would exceed that.

Are those small enough to fit front and back? Not much room for tires on the Transit even with a lift. Seems that a 2” lift is all you might be able to do.

gregmchugh

Observer

Looks like rear axle is 7275 lb. Those 3600 lb tires are probably not going to be adequate for a fully loaded vehicle. Nice to have some extra safety margin with the tire load rating. You also need to find wheels that work for a super single setup. If you want the wheels to be interchangeable from front to back with reversed rear wheels it might be a challenge to find those.

Personally, I could live with the DRW setup since I probably wouldn’t go anywhere where it wouldn’t be fine with dual rear wheels.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
No problems with the single rear wheel set up. I ordered mine like that from the factory. I believe it’s pretty much a f150 axle. C9CAE003-EA3D-4504-A593-B91788330046.jpeg

Attachments

• 82E8747D-DE5B-418D-9C13-32AD81836B65.jpeg
    82E8747D-DE5B-418D-9C13-32AD81836B65.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 29

Victorian

But that is not the chassis that will be on the EKKO is it?

Is yours a 11,000 lb GVWR chassis?

Isn’t the axle going to be different for a DRW vs a SRW?
Yes axle is different. Ours is a 2019 cab chassis cut away SRW. Winnebago uses the 2021/22 model. Because of the SRW, we have around 500lb less GVWR.
Just drove over the scale the other day: (fully loaded with bikes, 30 gallons/100liters water, food, 3 people)
Front: 1700kg/3750lb
Rear: 2260kg/4990lb
Total: 3960kg/ 8730lb

This leaves us roughly 600kg/1300lb to spare

gregmchugh

Observer
Yes axle is different. Ours is a 2019 cab chassis cut away SRW. Winnebago uses the 2021/22 model. Because of the SRW, we have around 500lb less GVWR.
Just drove over the scale the other day: (fully loaded with bikes, 30 gallons/100liters water, food, 3 people)
Front: 1700kg/3750lb
Rear: 2260kg/4990lb
Total: 3960kg/ 8730lb

This leaves us roughly 600kg/1300lb to spare

With the DRW rear axle you would have to do something to adjust the rear wheel track to match the front wheels. What are the options? Can you use spacers with the same wheels as on the front or do you have to switch out all the wheels and reverse the wheels on the rear.

Victorian

With the DRW rear axle you would have to do something to adjust the rear wheel track to match the front wheels. What are the options? Can you use spacers with the same wheels as on the front or do you have to switch out all the wheels and reverse the wheels on the rear.
That's a very good question. I have no idea.

CappyJax

Not sure what you mean. Don't the front wheels just use spacers with a dually setup?

CappyJax

No problems with the single rear wheel set up. I ordered mine like that from the factory. I believe it’s pretty much a f150 axle. View attachment 670871

I was thinking of an Ekko while waiting to save up start my F550 expedition vehicle using your panels. I can get a loan for an Ekko easy, can't for a custom build. But looking at the backlog, I might get my expedition vehicle built before I could get an Ekko.

Jonnyo

Observer
Looks like rear axle is 7275 lb. Those 3600 lb tires are probably not going to be adequate for a fully loaded vehicle. Nice to have some extra safety margin with the tire load rating. You also need to find wheels that work for a super single setup. If you want the wheels to be interchangeable from front to back with reversed rear wheels it might be a challenge to find those.

Personally, I could live with the DRW setup since I probably wouldn’t go anywhere where it wouldn’t be fine with dual rear wheels.

i have tested both the single rear and dually and the dually is a more stable ride but also a little harsher on the road. i have the dually and so far..in all the offroading i done in past 3 years, it never been a problem. I think the ekko could use a little more clerance but other then that, i m pretty sure it s gonna drive really nicely!

waveslider

Outdoorsman
i have the dually and so far..in all the offroading i done in past 3 years, it never been a problem

I am curious as to what offroading you have done with your dually. That term means different things to different people and I would be interested in how you define it (or rather use it) in that case.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles