Winnebago EKKO

Can't really tell, but it looks like some of the internal structure is aluminum. If so, there will be tons of condensation and therefore rotting plywood in no time.

Is this a photo of the construction on the EKKO specifically?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gregmchugh

Observer
As I mentioned, this diagram represents the construction of some Winnebago’s and someone posted it to an EKKO Facebook group but it may not represent the actual EKKO construction.

rruff

Explorer
Can't really tell, but it looks like some of the internal structure is aluminum. If so, there will be tons of condensation and therefore rotting plywood in no time.
531737-097784f3b5638571f009f9f3870f9372.jpg
I agree. Those cheap ply skins will rot in short order anyway, if you don't keep all the seams and penetrations sealed. Doesn't seem to be made for a long and trouble free life.

Is this a photo of the construction on the EKKO specifically?

It's from the link where WB is bragging about their wall construction.

gregmchugh

Observer
I agree. Those cheap ply skins will rot in short order anyway, if you don't keep all the seams and penetrations sealed. Doesn't seem to be made for a long and trouble free life.

It's from the link where WB is bragging about their wall construction.

But it is very possible that the EKKO uses different construction, look at it and compare it to other Winnebago’s, looks like it could very well be constructed differently, or maybe not. Bottom line, it has not been confirmed that this represents EKKO construction.

rruff

Explorer
Ah, but then I found this, dated 2019.

"Winnebago uses Azdel Composite Panels in its fiberglass manufacturing, an environmentally friendly and lightweight composite panel, in the construction of the sidewalls in Class A Gas, Class A Diesel and Class C motorhomes. "

So that would indicate no plywood.

gregmchugh

Observer
If you look at the videos of the EKKO prototype it is clear that the walls and doors are thicker than the typical Winnebago Class C. They very well could be using a thicker foam core on the EKKO.

Steve_382

If you look at the videos of the EKKO prototype it is clear that the walls and doors are thicker than the typical Winnebago Class C. They very well could be using a thicker foam core on the EKKO.
Their website also says:

ALL-WEATHER PREPPED
With all tanks and water lines inside the coach above the floor, extensive all-season insulation in the roof, walls and floor, dual-pane acrylic windows, and multiple insulated exterior compartments, the camping season doesn't have to end when the temperature drops.**

MattScott

Approved Vendor
I see a lot of people comparing the features of vehicles 2x, 3x, 4x, and 5x the price to the Winnebago Ekko. Surprisingly, it won't come out ontop...I wonder why...

It could be interesting to get one to review for OJ or Expedition Portal. I have to say that Winnebago's effort with the Revel, and their continued development with the updated model shows great promise.

Every RV won't work for every person. That doesn't mean it is bad.

gregmchugh

Observer
I see a lot of people comparing the features of vehicles 2x, 3x, 4x, and 5x the price to the Winnebago Ekko. Surprisingly, it won't come out ontop...I wonder why...

It could be interesting to get one to review for OJ or Expedition Portal. I have to say that Winnebago's effort with the Revel, and their continued development with the updated model shows great promise.

Every RV won't work for every person. That doesn't mean it is bad.

Agree, show me another option for $131,000 (the current actual discounted price for the EKKO) that has the features of the EKKO in terms of 4 seats, 4 season capability, lithium batteries with solar and auxiliary alternator, garage storage, option for sleeping 4, large water tank, etc. on an AWD Transit or similar chassis. Not something that could be a DIY build, a completed vehicle.

@nerdridesbikes

@nerdridesbikes
So this is very similar to what I had been thinking about (and trying to convince my wife) to build. Reminds me alot of the Total Composites transit, and the uro-camper Rhino. The problem I had is that I want to sleep 4 on the inside. So if they would have just put the rear bed east/west, it would have made enough room for a full dinette, then id just need a bunk over the top of that. Which is probably similar to what I will end up with, if I can keep my wife away from a 27ft class C...

Jonnyo

Observer
So this is very similar to what I had been thinking about (and trying to convince my wife) to build. Reminds me alot of the Total Composites transit, and the uro-camper Rhino. The problem I had is that I want to sleep 4 on the inside. So if they would have just put the rear bed east/west, it would have made enough room for a full dinette, then id just need a bunk over the top of that. Which is probably similar to what I will end up with, if I can keep my wife away from a 27ft class C...

big fan of that rhino uro camper and also love the hymers units with drop down bed vs using the dinette seats. I have 3 kids so will have no choice but to build myself!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles