Winnebago EKKO

gregmchugh

Observer
i really like the direction of winnebago with this one. it s not perfect, far from it but i like this compact size and that bathroom/shower combo. But i think it s time to go away from propane and be on induction and also have a drop down bed for the front.

What i would really like is for Hymer to come to north america with there line of MLT. Those unit seems well done.

View attachment 626921

Thor is building a new plant in Indiana to build the compact Class C Hymer models. Mercedes has not offered 4wd on cab chassis Sprinters in North America so unless that changes it will limit what they can offer.

86scotty

Cynic
???? Haven't had propane on two vehicles since 2013 and never had any question but that they were RVs. Certainly no problem at campgrounds - they don't care.

Oh, some of them certainly care, you just haven't had the misfortune of needing to stay at one yet. They are all privately owned though. Having only camped in the US I've never seen this at a public CG. It blows my mind that any one would live somewhere with a HOA and this is essentially bringing HOA's to campgrounds. Just what I want, some Debbie Downer rolling around on her golf cart telling me what's what about my camp site or rig.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
I believe Nimbl recently announced they had obtained the RV certification, and those campers do not have propane. Maybe the regs have changed, given the increased capacity of newer battery systems.

That Winne has a big pass-thru from the cab to the camper and no apparent way to block it off (it looks like the driver and passenger seats are an integral part of the camper furniture). That would be nice in most circumstances, but it will make it a lot less efficient to heat the camper. And propane heat is not efficient to start with. So, probably. not the best design for winter use, although I expect the target audience does not do a lot of really cold weather camping.

We have our cab connected with a walk through to our super insulated camper box. You are correct, there is no insulation in the cab and even with a thermal curtain in place we still feel the cold coming in from the front. We thought that using the Blidimax window blinds would help. I'm sure they do but not really... The biggest difference we found in the summer with keeping the UV out of the cab.

gregmchugh

Observer
We have our cab connected with a walk through to our super insulated camper box. You are correct, there is no insulation in the cab and even with a thermal curtain in place we still feel the cold coming in from the front. We thought that using the Blidimax window blinds would help. I'm sure they do but not really... The biggest difference we found in the summer with keeping the UV out of the cab.

So, you have tried the Blidimax and they help in the heat but not in the cold?

I have considered getting them for the cold but for summer heat I would think there are less expensive options available.

Victorian

So, you have tried the Blidimax and they help in the heat but not in the cold?

I have considered getting them for the cold but for summer heat I would think there are less expensive options available.
Correct, we ordered them through Germany. The quality is very nice! Makes a huge difference in the summer heat. In the cold, I'm not sure. I also noticed that we are getting tons of condensation in the driver cab exposed metal parts and the windows (between the blidimax and glass) This results in the blinds being soaked in the morning.

gregmchugh

Observer
Correct, we ordered them through Germany. The quality is very nice! Makes a huge difference in the summer heat. In the cold, I'm not sure. I also noticed that we are getting tons of condensation in the driver cab exposed metal parts and the windows (between the blidimax and glass) This results in the blinds being soaked in the morning.
Thanks, probably enough heat loss through the rest of the cab structure that the window coverings are futile.

Yes, we also have a continuous battle with condensation in the cold.

Steve_382

Thanks, probably enough heat loss through the rest of the cab structure that the window coverings are futile.

Yes, we also have a continuous battle with condensation in the cold.
Just don't turn the heater on and use zero degree sleeping bags. Ha, ha. Seriously though, that's what we do in our SMB and still get a lot of condensation even in temps in the 30s and 40s. And someone has to crawl up to the ignition switch in the AM to start the motor and warm things up.

waveslider

Outdoorsman
I recently undertook a rather ambitious project to completely soundproof and insulate the cab of our truck. Primarily using dynamat extreme and dynamat 1/2” thick insulating mat to fill in the dead spaces.

The project reaped great benefits as noise/sound reduction. But the biggest benefit was the insulation. The cab stays cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter......however the condensation issue is still there in the coldest temps on the exposed metal that didn’t get covered. But I think it’s reduced greatly.

If you have the time and skill, I highly recommend the project.

martinf

I like what Winnebago did with the EKKO and I would consider one if had not just bought a Revel. It is not as capable off road for sure but the additional space and garage area with better insulation are a good tradeoff. I would not be surprised if dealers would start offering a lift as an option, just like Airstream is now doing on their trailers (the basecamp even has a 3" lift factory option).

At $130k-ish I believe it is priced close enough to a van conversion and far enough from an expo rig like an EC or GXV that it will appeal to people who want/need a "rugged" RV more than a true expedition vehicle.

Any idea what it is made of? Composite panels?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes. Sandwiched composite panels is what I read. Completely insulated including roof and floors. The photos they use the site shows it in the snow I think to highlight this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gregmchugh

Observer
Panels are not as thick as what you get from GXV or Total Composites but the EKKO will still have very good 4 season capabilities.

Victorian

Can't really tell, but it looks like some of the internal structure is aluminum. If so, there will be tons of condensation and therefore rotting plywood in no time.

Attachments

• Winnebago construction copy.jpg
    Winnebago construction copy.jpg
    872.5 KB · Views: 116

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles