Winnebago EKKO

gregmchugh

Observer
Our transit is gas. This was one of the reasons we choose that platform. No interest in the diesel drama. We heat with diesel (external tank-running kerosene), we cook either on camp stove or induction. All pending on the battery status. Hot water is generate with 12V. Works very nice! https://expeditionupfitter.com/collections/water-boilers/products/elgena-nc6-e-water-heater-12-volt They are extremely hard to get from the manufacturer and therefore we sell out of them as soon as we are getting them in. Our next shipment should arrive today or tomorrow.
Thanks for the info, I have noticed your 12v water heater before.

Steve_382

After many calls to dealers to see where a person might see one of these Ekkos, we called the factory today. It seems they aren't even coming down the production line yet. The factory wouldn't offer any details about why, but my guess is that they may not even be able to get the Ford Transits to build them on. My local Ford dealer has none on the lot either. There could be other supply chain issues also I guess. Crazy world. Everyone wants to buy something and they can't even spend their money.

gregmchugh

Observer
After many calls to dealers to see where a person might see one of these Ekkos, we called the factory today. It seems they aren't even coming down the production line yet. The factory wouldn't offer any details about why, but my guess is that they may not even be able to get the Ford Transits to build them on. My local Ford dealer has none on the lot either. There could be other supply chain issues also I guess. Crazy world. Everyone wants to buy something and they can't even spend their money.

Production has started on the EKKO and the first was delivered recently to the FitRV couple. See their web page for a video. There are also some units that Winnebago is showing at various spots (last weekend at the GoPro event in Colorado). Deliveries of demo units to Winnebago regional reps is also happening so there should be more out for viewing. Production has been delayed mostly because of the shortage of Transit chassis. If you are interested in following more closely join the Winnebago EKKO Owners and Wannabes group on Facebook for a play by play discussion of what is going on with orders and deliveries and showings by Winnebago at various spots.

gregmchugh

Observer
Gov't $$$ fueled buying boom during an economic recession...

I believe the delays in Ford production have been due to supply chain shortages, especially semiconductor chips. Isn’t this mostly a result of Covid and not government spending???

Steve_382

Production has started on the EKKO and the first was delivered recently to the FitRV couple. See their web page for a video. There are also some units that Winnebago is showing at various spots (last weekend at the GoPro event in Colorado). Deliveries of demo units to Winnebago regional reps is also happening so there should be more out for viewing. Production has been delayed mostly because of the shortage of Transit chassis. If you are interested in following more closely join the Winnebago EKKO Owners and Wannabes group on Facebook for a play by play discussion of what is going on with orders and deliveries and showings by Winnebago at various spots.

We just talked to the factory today and they couldn't tell us when the regular production would begin. No way to see them yet except for the FitRV videos and the demo videos from the pre production vehicles. I know they have built a few of them, but the factory couldn't tell us where or when we could see one.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I believe the delays in Ford production have been due to supply chain shortages, especially semiconductor chips. Isn’t this mostly a result of Covid and not government spending???
Yes, my understanding is that the slowdown in production was related to supply chain and labor availability. Ford also did an early changeover to the 2022 model year.

gregmchugh

Observer
We just talked to the factory today and they couldn't tell us when the regular production would begin. No way to see them yet except for the FitRV videos and the demo videos from the pre production vehicles. I know they have built a few of them, but the factory couldn't tell us where or when we could see one.

Winnebago will have one in Hood River this weekend

Last edited:

rruff

Explorer
The semiconductor shortage is definitely not caused by a production slowdown, rather vastly increased demand.

Gov't pays people more to stay home than go to work.
People have lots of money and extra time, and limited opportunities to spend either.
Computer equipment, outdoor equipment, building equipment, stocks, crypto (and mining equipment), etc are all booming... leading to shortages... which affects a bunch of other industries.

gregmchugh

Observer
The semiconductor shortage is definitely not caused by a production slowdown, rather vastly increased demand.

Gov't pays people more to stay home than go to work.
People have lots of money and extra time, and limited opportunities to spend either.
Computer equipment, outdoor equipment, building equipment, stocks, crypto (and mining equipment), etc are all booming... leading to shortages... which affects a bunch of other industries.

rruff

Explorer
Semiconductor sales are up 18% y/y (as of March 2021). The shortage is mainly caused by a spike in demand. That's why TSMC is building more fabs and there is a shortage of shipping containers (due to demand for everything).

If you've tried to buy good bicycles and parts lately it will really hit home. Companies that deal with this stuff are accustomed to fairly predictable sales; the few hard core riders upgrading and repairing their equipment. Demand suddenly spikes because a bunch of people who didn't ride bikes before, want one. It's one of the few recreational activities they can do... plus they all got stimulus checks, and many are getting unemployment that exceeds their working wage. $$$ plus free time.

Lots of imbalances that will be temporary. The shortage will turn into a glut when the stumulus bubble pops. The toys bought will be for sale. Or will the stimulus keep going forever?

Steve_382

So, I joined the Winnebago Ekko Owners and Wannabe's group on Facebook. As near as I can tell there aren't many units out there except for the show/demo units. I asked the group and it seems like so far that's it. Another interesting tidbit is looking at the latest FitRV video, they are doing a complete refit of the electrical/battery system as well as many other changes. Maybe that's just what he does, but these aren't minor changes he is wanting to make.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Many/most of those items are fairly standard on current expedition campers and are a cut above standard RV gear. I have some of them on our truck. Not too surprising.

gregmchugh

Observer
That is just what he does with every RV they get, makes a lot of changes to optimize it for how they use it. The EKKO comes standard with a Xantrex 2000 watt inverter and the new quiet Onan gasoline generator and a single Lithionics battery. You have the option to delete the generator (which FitRV did) and add a second Lithionics battery after you delete the generator (which they did not do since he is adding 4 more batteries himself). Do you really need 5 batteries with 20,000 watt hours of capacity total? Not really but he will do it anyway. Switching everything over to Victron is a jump in quality and reliability and performance which most buyers would not find worth the money. A simple mod is to upgrade to the Xantrex 3000 watt inverter which has higher battery charge current which would be useful if you kept the generator. There is a Balmar auxiliary alternator on the engine that is standard on the Ekko that gives high battery charge current which is what they will probably be using to recharge their 5 batteries. Not enough room for significant solar on the roof but it can be upgraded from the standard which he also seems to be doing.

As delivered, the EKKO meets the needs of the vast majority of buyers in terms of electrical equipment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94