Window tint

nucktaco

Adventurer
Hey,

I’ve got an 08 tacoma and currently have the rear windows tinted with limo tint on top of the privacy glass. Looking at getting my front windows tinted. I don’t want anything that actually darkens the windows though mainly just looking for a uv blocker. Planning a trip down to panama and back (2022) and looking to start getting the truck ready.

tinting front windows isn’t legal here and will result in another excuse to pull me over and give me an Inspection notice.

any recommendations on a clear or almost clear uv blocking tint? I’ve read up on 3M crystalline tiny but The pricing seems insane So wanted to see other decent options.

I’ve used the llumar ceramic 85 on front windshields and doors on 3 vehicles with good results. 85 because I couldn’t get clear - but the tint is so minor most people don’t even notice it.

MTVR

OEM "clear" auto glass already registers about 70% VLT (Visible Light Transmission). Adding 80% tint to that would result in about 56% VLT, and no matter how tricky you want to believe you're being, anyone with vocational experience in this area can easily spot it. I can spot it from quite a distance, even oncoming at speed. I always carried a calibrated tint meter, and I cited for every illegally tinted window that I had time to cite. I have seen fines of up to about $900 for each illegally tinted window.

Even if you install tint that's legal where you live, it may not be legal anywhere else, which can make travel very difficult.

But the REAL bonus to me, is that once an offender has gone that far out of their way to create a legally-justifiable reason for me to stop them, the majority of those stops reveal something going on behind that illegal tint worthy of someone going to jail, or at least getting a criminal summons with a court date- warrants, dope, open alcohol containers, child safety seat violations, you name it.

Last edited:

plumber mike

Adventurer
OEM "clear" auto glass already registers about 70% VLT (Visible Light Transmission). Adding 80% tint to that would result in about 56% VLT, and no matter how tricky you want to believe you're being, anyone with vocational experience in this area can easily spot it. I can spot it from quite a distance, even oncoming at speed. I always carried a calibrated tint meter, and I cited for every illegally tinted window that I had time to cite. I have seen fines of up to about $900 for each illegally tinted window.

Even if you install tint that's legal where you live, it may not be legal anywhere else, which can make travel very difficult.

But the REAL bonus to me, is that once an offender has gone that far out of their way to create a legally-justifiable reason for me to stop them, the majority of those stops reveal something going on behind that illegal tint worthy of someone going to jail, or at least getting a criminal summons with a court date- warrants, dope, open alcohol containers, child safety seat violations, you name it.
Wow. That sounds like a lucrative fund raising event. The cops have got to eat too.
Around here, most dealers have already tinted the fronts to match the back. You could really cash in.

MTVR

Wow. That sounds like a lucrative fund raising event. The cops have got to eat too.
Around here, most dealers have already tinted the fronts to match the back. You could really cash in.

We're not on commission. But if an offender is going to go that far out of their way to create an offense to pay for, I'll certainly let them pay for it.

Illegal window tint is a massive safety problem, in ways that most offenders are not aware of.

And again, it's a great way to find guns, dope, warrants, and DUIs.

dreadlocks

Ive had "illegal" window tint going back to my learners permit, always roll the windows down if I get pulled over and turn on all interior lights if its nighttime and never had an issue.. tho I did have a Highway Patrol in Washington State try to tell me the factory tint built into the front windshield at the top was illegal.. which I seriously doubt, didnt ticket me for it tho..

Funny because without my windows tinted, I get profiled and they'll simply create another "legally-justifiable reason to stop me".. but with my windows tinted I never get any scrutiny from LEO, my long haired hippie ass scoots right by em without a second look.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
No matter what state you are traveling within you cannot be cited for a vehicle infraction such as darker window tint that is LEGAL in your state of residence and registration. Now if your window tint is not legal in your own state of residence then you just might have a problem in another state.

In Tennessee I am required to have the J2 Weighted Farm License plate (20,000 lb) mounted on the front of my truck. We only have 1 license plate in Tennessee. The J2 is a weighted tag for none commercial privately owned vehicles. I have been stopped numerous times in other states with the officer asking me where is my rear license plate. I tell em on the front of the truck. I then hand them a copy of the Tennessee Code Annotated showing the proper location of my license plate. They all ask why? The reason why is that if you have to go over the scale the weightman can see if your vehicle GVWR is less than the amount on your weighted tag. After that they let me go.

I have since gone ahead and placed the tag on the rear of the truck in the wrong location since I don't roll the scale and the THP has never stopped me however the out of state cops no longer stop me either!

Another off the wall example:

Perfectly legal in the State of Tennessee for me to drive a 379 Peterbuilt tractor to work every day on a regular driver's license without a CDL using the 379 Pete my daily driver just as long as that 379 Pete is registered to me personally and not used in any form of a commercial capacity.

I can drive that 379 Pete anywhere in the country as long as it only used for personal use only and be perfectly legal anywhere. Other states may not like however that's the way it is as all the other states must accept the registration and licensing rules of Tennessee where I live and the vehicle is registered.

No different than a privately owned RV Motorhome. You don't have to have a CDL to drive an RV with a GVWR over 26,500 lbs either.

dreadlocks

Oh they can cite you for anything, now if it'll hold water is another thing..

Way back in the 90's my mom caught a fix-it ticket for window tint, I drove around the local college campus for 10mins and found an identical car to hers w/out window tint.. snapped a photo from both sides, she mailed the pics in and they dropped it... I think she had the car for another decade before she sold it and never got anymore grief and it was blacked out.. but in her defence she is very light sensitive and suffered from chronic migraines, couldn't even go outside w/out sunglasses on and never drove at night because oncoming headlights blinded her, she coulda got a medical exemption for her tinted windows had she bothered.

D

Deleted member 9101

I have always had "illegal" window tint and never had a problem. Buuuut I also don't drive vehicles that draw attention.

plumber mike

Adventurer
Ive had "illegal" window tint going back to my learners permit, always roll the windows down if I get pulled over and turn on all interior lights if its nighttime and never had an issue.. tho I did have a Highway Patrol in Washington State try to tell me the factory tint built into the front windshield at the top was illegal.. which I seriously doubt, didnt ticket me for it tho..

Funny because without my windows tinted, I get profiled and they'll simply create another "legally-justifiable reason to stop me".. but with my windows tinted I never get any scrutiny from LEO, my long haired hippie ass scoots right by em without a second look.
I’m told they changed the law here to allow tint strips on windshield to go down the factory sun visor level....which makes sense....or you’d be getting pulled over for having your sun visors down.
I got sucked into this thread because I’d like to tint my entire windshield but would like a quality film and not much tinting.

MTVR

No matter what state you are traveling within you cannot be cited for a vehicle infraction such as darker window tint that is LEGAL in your state of residence and registration.

That is a common fallacy.

Tint offenses are tint offenses, no matter where you're from, in almost all states.

Last edited:

MTVR

I’m told...

By who?

...they changed the law here

Define your use of the word "here".

to allow tint strips on windshield to go down the factory sun visor level...

I have never seen a tint law written like that. It's always to the AS-1 line or a certain number of inches from the top.

I got sucked into this thread because I’d like to tint my entire windshield but would like a quality film and not much tinting.

That's illegal in all 50 states...

MTVR

Perfectly legal in the State of Tennessee for me to drive a 379 Peterbuilt tractor to work every day on a regular driver's license without a CDL using the 379 Pete my daily driver just as long as that 379 Pete is registered to me personally and not used in any form of a commercial capacity.

I can drive that 379 Pete anywhere in the country as long as it only used for personal use only and be perfectly legal anywhere. Other states may not like however that's the way it is as all the other states must accept the registration and licensing rules of Tennessee where I live and the vehicle is registered.

No different than a privately owned RV Motorhome. You don't have to have a CDL to drive an RV with a GVWR over 26,500 lbs either.

...if it's not a motor home, then the motor home CDL exemption does not apply to you, and driving a vehicle that requires a CDL without a CDL is DWOL (Driving With Out a License), which is an arrestable criminal offense in most jurisdictions.

Our truck is much bigger than a 379, but it will be legal for us to drive it without a CDL because it will actually be a motor home.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online