Winches and Rust

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
After a recent stuck-in-the-mud incident I'm considering buying a winch for my Jeep Wrangler. Here in the Northeast, though, everything is covered in salt in the winter and subsequently rusts. Bolt-on parts for vehicles seem to be effected worse.

What, if anything, can be done to prevent a winch from rusting?

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
After a recent stuck-in-the-mud incident I'm considering buying a winch for my Jeep Wrangler. Here in the Northeast, though, everything is covered in salt in the winter and subsequently rusts. Bolt-on parts for vehicles seem to be effected worse.

What, if anything, can be done to prevent a winch from rusting?

Buy a quality winch.

Winch manufacturers know that thier product will be sitting on the front bumper, and getting the brunt of the road/trail.

A good winch will be sealed against the elements.

I had a Champion 7500# winch. Bought it for the price ($250, and included the universal mounting plate)

I went through 2 motors for it, in 5 years, from corrosion.

Each motor cost $100 plus shipping, so my 'cheap' winch, cost my around $500 for 5 years of use. (motor just went out again)

I have a WARN 8K on my CJ now, and it's holding up great.

Buy a quality winch, keep it clean, and it should serve you well.

Make sure the motor is a 'Series wound' style, they hold up better to the elements, IMO.

You can also use a neoprene cover over the winch. It won't keep everything out, but it will help. And work well with proper maintenence. (pulling the cover/washiong the winch off, etc.)

chasespeed

Explorer
I worry more about the cable, than I do the winch(hydraulic Mile Marker).

Hell, I cant keep a set of fenders on this Ram....

BUT, get a quality winch... it'll pay for itself in the long run..... Keep it clean. Another thing, keeping the contacts in good shape will go a long way....

Chase

TheStig

Observer
This will be the first winter I have a winch so this isn't from experience, but I plan on keeping it covered and weekly lubing it. Hopefully that will help out. I have a superwinch LP8500 so its certainly not an upper tier winch but I'm hoping that with extra maintenance it will be good.

AxeAngel

Expedition Leader
Put dielectric grease on the contacts and silicon spray the solenoid. Be careful how you do this and make sure it is recommended on your solenoid. Ive been through 3-4 winches in the past 4 yrs

-Sam

kjp98TJ

Observer
you're going to have to put some work into it to keep it in good order. i took apart my m8000 after one winter and it already had a rusty sludge in the gears. it amazes me when i read on forums people will freak out about greasing a $40 joint or steering piece, but wonder why their $600-1500 dollar winch isn't working.
as said, dielectric grease everywhere.
clean oil on a rag and run the cable through it when respooling. i do this after about every use to get the dirt out/protect it.
plan on a cleaning once a year, new grease, dielectric the connections, etc.
and most people are probably split on this, but i don't like covers. with the salt and dirt on the roads up here, they tend to keep all that crap on the winch, IMO.

chasespeed

Explorer
Peanut butter grease, and slush that cable....

I did a use a heavy grease on my winch cable... once.. .attracted and held all sorts of dust and whatnot on the front of the truck....

Grease it, just dont get all crazy...

Chase

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles