Winch Solenoid Pack replacement

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Expo, good afternoon I'm looking to replace or modify my current winches solenoid pack. I have a T-Max 9k with a sealed typed solenoid in a sexy aluminum housing. It works but the plug assembly leaves a little to be desired. The massive plug is a insert and twist but it doesn't always make proper contact for the reverse feature. A little fiddling is required.

My thought was to either replace the entire unit, or after a quick google search Warn makes an extended mount for a 7 pin (IIRC), which means I could remove the big twister and replace, solder, and rework the case I accept the more reliable 7 pin.

Thoughts?

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
I am investigating similar solutions for my Warn 9.5ti. What I am going to do is gut the internal traditional solenoids and replace them with an external Albright contactor. There is no reason for the solenoids to be integrated into the winch case. It makes them very difficult to service and also more susceptible to damage from being mounted low and outside the vehicle. I would not purchase an integrated solenoid winch again.

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
My reasoning is a bit different. I almost swear it's using something similar I the Albright solenoid as it's sealed for the most part. Mine is already located under the hood on the side of my air box. I'd like a tighter fitting more reliable connector that I can then run a line into the can to a window/antenna up down for internal control (very handy).

fishEH

Explorer
I would pick up a Warn or Superwinch controller and socket. Retrofit your winch or whatever for your new socket/controller.
Here's my set up for some ideas maybe.
Viking GS9(Superwinch) with Albright solenoid remotely mounted in engine bay. The controller socket is mounted in the grill, just above the drivers side Hella light.

I also ran wires for In Cab controls that use the stock Volume Up/Down switches(+/- switches on the instrument cluster shroud)

Lastly, I installed a 3 way switch which will kill or provide power to my air compressor and In Cab winch controls. Up gives power to my compressor, Down gives power to the In Cab winch controls, and Center kills power to both. (The crude labels are only temporary)

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
after a quick google search Warn makes an extended mount for a 7 pin (IIRC), which means I could remove the big twister and replace, solder, and rework the case I accept the more reliable 7 pin.
I've never looked at aT-max, but why would it need a 7-pin connector? I would think a 4-pin would be all you need.
In any case, I wouldn't buy anyone's proprietary plug/socket. Get a standard off the shelf trailer connector socket and plug. Cole Hersee makes quality metal units.

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Finally getting around to this. The controller that is included with my T-Max also had a somewhat reliable wireless feature so when the plug and turn connection fails this is sure to bugger up your situation. Moving forward to a more reliable option, I'm installing a Warn plug with leads to the contractor. http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=313346

Giving myself the in can control option back. Thanks Brilliant for the awesome idea.
http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/98463-brilliants-mod-thread-9.html

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Same principal as what I'm after. A decade or so ago I used a Toyota window up/down switch in my 95 Toyota Pickup to run the winch .......worked awesome. I got the idea from some of Slee's early tech articles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

onetraveller

Adventurer
Be careful with the Contura switch idea. Some of the winch switches on the market are not momentary on switches. They are standard switches that will stay on. This is a safety issue as it is recommended that the switch return to the off position when you remove your finger from it.

Mike

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Well crap! I studied the diagrams....hooked it up and ..... Winch spools out with the correct wire color for "spool out" but not in. I'm merging a Warn 5 wire with a Tmax Red, blue yellow contactor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Take-3,,,,,,

a92a4c9385f8e86d8e3b1e0b710f29c4.jpg

6e0dc4c0db4178847b4f166650cd40ed.jpg

1a64c08823a1654e141f44d0cbb564d7.jpg

f60d8ccbc513266fa38563f679e0932a.jpg

Bought an Albright contactor, the-used my Warn extended lead kit....slept on the idea of how the hell to mount the new contactor inside the old housing.....did it and test hooked it up........aha! It works again!

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
I got the diagram from a post on CK5.com and user mrk5.......the pin out is different on my warn unit but connected like the diagram and I'm good to go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94