Winch Search: Used M8000 vs new VR8000

irish_11

Explorer
I've been thinking about adding a winch for occasional use. It would sit must of the year, but when needed I could use it. I would like an M8000 ideally. Here is my dilemma, a used M8000 (condition unknown) runs $450-500 locally here in Seattle. I can get a new VR8000 off Amazon for $375 shipped. I know the limitations of the VR series being made and assembled in China vs the M8000 being made in China and assembled in the US. Just trying to figure out if it would be worth it to take a gamble on a used M8000 vs a new VR at that price. Thoughts?

LR Max

Local Oaf
They both have about the same performance. I say go for the VR since it'll be new. But if you get the VR, throw the extra $$$ and get synthetic rope. It is SO much easier to work with. And when you are stuck, you want easy.

About once a month, use the winch. Even if its just in a parking lot (that is what I do). Helps keep the winch in good working order. Or you find out its broken, and get it fixed on a convenient weekday vs. finding out while you are stuck.

RedF

Adventurer
Your should be able to find a good used winch for cheaper than that.

I totally rebuilt my old Warn M8000 and found it needed nothing other than a good clesning/lubing and a new tie rod (bolt broke off during disassembly). The motor looked really gross inside but it cleaned up fine and worked well.

irish_11

Explorer
Picked up a used M8000 (PN 20910, so an older one) for $65 this weekend. Its missing the solenoid pack, but looks to be in okay shape. I am going to tear into the gears and figure it out. For that price I figured I couldn't go wrong.

19349276_10209408105219601_2012485568_o.jpg
19251102_10209408106299628_1488744750_n.jpg
19250317_10209408106499633_1064079600_o.jpg

Warn Industries

Supporting Vendor
I know the limitations of the VR series being made and assembled in China vs the M8000 being made in China and assembled in the US. Just trying to figure out if it would be worth it to take a gamble on a used M8000 vs a new VR at that price. Thoughts?

The VR is still a great winch. You'll also get a waterproof Albright contactor on the new VR8, as well as the best winch warranty in the business: Limited lifetime mechanical, and 7 year electrical, the same as all of our other winches (and the M8000 is not made in China. While parts may come from all over the world, there are also parts that are made in-house in Oregon. And yes, final point of assembly is Clackamas, Oregon).

While the VR is made in China, it still carries the WARN name, and is totally, 100% a WARN winch. It's not just an "open source" winch that's coming out of "Winch Factory 73" with our badge slapped onto it, and then another company's later in the day. It is our design, our engineering, our testing, our quality. Feel free to PM me if you have questions, too.

Andy

irish_11

Explorer
The VR is still a great winch. You'll also get a waterproof Albright contactor on the new VR8, as well as the best winch warranty in the business: Limited lifetime mechanical, and 7 year electrical, the same as all of our other winches (and the M8000 is not made in China. While parts may come from all over the world, there are also parts that are made in-house in Oregon. And yes, final point of assembly is Clackamas, Oregon).

While the VR is made in China, it still carries the WARN name, and is totally, 100% a WARN winch. It's not just an "open source" winch that's coming out of "Winch Factory 73" with our badge slapped onto it, and then another company's later in the day. It is our design, our engineering, our testing, our quality. Feel free to PM me if you have questions, too.

Andy

Thanks Andy. I am going to rebuild this older M8k first and see how that goes. I picked up a new contractor pack for it as well as a new controller. I'm picking the winch up off a friend next weekend, but wanted to have the right stuff in advance. I am going to tear it down, regrease and seal and see how it runs. Should be a good addition! Now I just need to figure out line for it since I am a big fan of the synthetic based on safety and weight.

outofrshell

Adventurer
I would go with the VR8000 + synthetic rope, the warranty is will worth the additional money. The warranty is a no BS let me talk the boss first. I broke the second stage planetary gears on my VR this winter and I swear the guy I was talking to at Warn was mailing the parts before I hung up the phone 2 days and I had the parts. Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles