Winch rebuilding

christianoffroad

Cheap Adventurer!
My winch get a bit of a use each year and has been submerged a couple times. I am considering pulling it off and tearing it apart for some cleaning and fresh lubrication. Anyone consider this a good idea? What kind of grease would be good for the gears? It still works like a champ, but I believe in preventive maintenance!

Scoutn79

Adventurer
That not only is a good idea but necessary if it goes under water...Heck just sitting in the rain it can get moisture in it and cause corrosion. As for the grease it depends on what winch you are talking about...Some use oil. If you end up using grease use Moly or synthetic grease as it is impervious to moisture and wash off by water. Good time to clean as much of the electrical connections as you can and protect them with some dielectric grease.
Darrell

colodak

Adventurer
I have a Mile Marker that needs similar loving attention, no one in my area works on winches to even take a look at it.

Scoutn79

Adventurer
Colodak
Where are you located in Colorado? I am in Colorado Springs. I am guessing you must be in a small town if no one will touch your winch...
Is you MM hydraulic or electric?
Darrell

christianoffroad

Cheap Adventurer!
My winch is an older China knock-off. Dont know the brand, but it has been an outstanding winch for the money! I know its not too hard to tear a winch down and rebuild, I'm just wanting to use a decent lube.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
The winch manual should tell you what to use. If you don't have that, look for the manual for the winch it's a knock-off of.
Without knowing what the design is it's difficult to suggest anything in particular for lubricant.

colodak

Adventurer
Colodak
Where are you located in Colorado? I am in Colorado Springs. I am guessing you must be in a small town if no one will touch your winch...
Is you MM hydraulic or electric?
Darrell

No, I'm in Denver. Ft. Collins 4x4 and Johns 4x4 used to rebuild them but don't anymore. Supposedly Off-Road LTD does it, but they are kinda goofy to deal with. They want me to pull my winch so they can bench test it first, but, my biggest concern is the general noise it makes, so I've asked them if we can pull test it while it's still on the truck so I don't have to bust my balls to remove it. They are weird about doing this. I'm willing to reasonably travel to let someone listen to it. It's a milemarker E-8000 electric, I used to have a cover for it but someone stole it, so it gets rain, snow, and crud on it, as well as going through the car wash.

LR Max

Local Oaf
If you do pull it apart, mark on the casing how it is assembled. The shop that did my Warn 12k didn't do this and now my engage/disengage lever is in a funky spot.

The winch will probably come apart in three pieces. I've stripped it down to this point a few times. You'll have the motor, drum and gears. Take the motor to an electrical shop and have them look at it. Unless you've really done a number on it, the brushes and springs are the only thing that can't just be cleaned out and reused. The brushes and springs are common parts (for them, anyways) for rebuilding is easy. So you blow $45 bucks on a rebuild, you then know its good.

No clue on the gears. Good luck there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz