Winch Options

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Thanks. Going forward is the way I must go and what the truck is for. I have had good luck for many years giving nice stock trucks heavy offroad use without much harm done. I have had times where a winch on the back would have helped but generally, I need it on the front. I could end up going with a receiver mounted winch with a place to lock it in under the toolbox, but I don't really want to lug around 100lbs in a mudhole, either.

I was thinking that would work. I am going to look at that. I have the stock MTs on it now, but MTs have never really been an option on my work trucks as they don't wear well at 700-800 miles a week with maybe 30-50 offroad. The kind of mud holes I am speaking of usually require 4H and speed.
I have been stuck only 2x in the last 2 years, maybe total of 10 in the last 20, but carrying around a winch is like carrying around a spare tire: indispensable when you suddenly need it.

I really appreciate the thoughtful feedback, but if I am going in it is necessary and the best way in. I have been at this a while and after 30 + years of working off road I couldn't imagine having to pull myself backward through gumbo muck only to then have to turn a 20' truck around a 2nd time in a 10 ft trail.
I would just walk it. But as I age, saving steps is important. Especially since the actual work that follows will involve miles of walking. Also, why I don't want to tote a heavy winch around by hand in a mudhole.

I am likely to fab up a hidden winch mount or wait for the factory stuff to happen. Thanks to all for the input.

View attachment 734038

View attachment 734033

View attachment 734032View attachment 734039
View attachment 734034View attachment 734035
Looks like a fun way to spend a work day! I can't recall if you've mentioned it before. What do you do?

pith helmet

Could be worse! Though it’s like I always pictured de Soto when he encountered the Mississippi; “We have to build boats again?!”

billiebob

There is always the Tirfor option.... incredibly light weight, no need for power, they build winches way beyond yer needs... they work submerged or not.... they work even when the battery is dead.2019041958292993.jpg

billiebob

Yep. I know people with 3/4 tons with those on order. It’s my 1/2 ton they don’t have anything for at this time.
On the 1/2 ton thing.... my first job. 1972 was installing winches in forestry and rail road pickups... the standard was the Tulsa Model 5E. A 5000# electric winch.... plenty of power. We are just stupid today.

pith helmet

Well, as a couple suggested, going the old removable mount for now. Waiting on the Warn VR Evo 10-S to get here. I went with the Bulldog brand mount because it seemed built well and it is going to slide right in the bed channels and under my toolbox where I'll lock it up til it is needed.

I'll decide soon if I build a front receiver or find one already made. E-trailer has one they say fits, but they are the only ones, including the local shops, so I am leery of getting something in that does not fit.

Thanks to all for the input and kicking the ideas around.
IMG_9678.jpg

pith helmet

Made a mount for storage using what I had at hand. May improve on it later. Used the factory drain holes to bolt it down.
The ‘feet’ on the carrier are just right to clear and fit in the bed channels and it slides the length of the bed easily.

1659896167302.png
1659896265325.png
1659896310017.png

jbaucom

Warn lists P/N 107525 as fitting the 2019-2022 Sierra 1500 when I look under the fitment tab on their site. I don't know if it actually works, but the main page for the Gen 3 Trans4mer shows a Sierra 1500 with a full brush guard and winch.

pith helmet

Decided to try out my winch setup today. This is just for the front; the rear will use the factory receiver.

I was expecting it would twist around and upside down when it gets some tension on it, so I tightened it up slowly til it cleared the ground, keeping one hand on a handle. It did not twist much and once it is clear of the ground, it shouldn't matter if it gets upside down.

Made the orange piece from a receiver extension that I drilled a hole in oriented opposite of the factory one.
Should work out fine, probably be a long time before it gets truly field tested.

I think I will eventually make a bar for it that will attach to the two factory points via shackles and keep the winch from wanting to flip at all.

Attachments

• signal-2022-09-05-115810_002.jpeg
    signal-2022-09-05-115810_002.jpeg
    400.7 KB · Views: 51
  • signal-2022-09-05-115810_004.jpeg
    signal-2022-09-05-115810_004.jpeg
    635.5 KB · Views: 55
  • signal-2022-09-05-115810_003.jpeg
    signal-2022-09-05-115810_003.jpeg
    695.6 KB · Views: 54

DCH109

Adventurer
There is always the Tirfor option.... incredibly light weight, no need for power, they build winches way beyond yer needs... they work submerged or not.... they work even when the battery is dead.View attachment 734233
Also built like a tank. Lightweight in comparison to a winch yes. Lightweight......well that depends on the model. I have a TU32 and with rope it is 109 lbs. That said, the best for portability. Front, back, trailer, buddys vehicle etc, nothing needs to be mounted (other than a point to hoist from), they are safe (if used correctly) and reliable.

DCH109

Adventurer
Decided to try out my winch setup today. This is just for the front; the rear will use the factory receiver.

I was expecting it would twist around and upside down when it gets some tension on it, so I tightened it up slowly til it cleared the ground, keeping one hand on a handle. It did not twist much and once it is clear of the ground, it shouldn't matter if it gets upside down.

Made the orange piece from a receiver extension that I drilled a hole in oriented opposite of the factory one.
Should work out fine, probably be a long time before it gets truly field tested.

I think I will eventually make a bar for it that will attach to the two factory points via shackles and keep the winch from wanting to flip at all.
That looks horrifying! LOL

228B

Observer
Hah! Wow... I had been thinking of this exact rig... I have no front hitch receiver, no bull bumper, no front winch mount... just a recently-purchased, near-disposable! (the price!) X-Bull 10,000lb winch sold with a red synth winch rope... and I mounted it last week on an X-Bull receiver-ready, portable winch tray, much like what Pith has pictured...

So, I was thinkin along the same lines as I lay in bed at night, pondering... and the potential YouTube video title, "Is This Sketchy? or..." hahaha... seriously.

It's all I have until I can source a proper front winch mount for my '16 F150. You can imagine my delight and my astonishment when I first saw Pith's pics of the rig I had envisioned as a last resort if I get stuck, out in my favorite environs: the Mojave desert in the cooler months of the year.

Thanks for taking the time to post your experience, Pith.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles