Winch mounting question.

outdoornate65

Adventurer
Hopefully this is not too dumb a question....

Wondering if I can mount a winch on my 2019 F-250 while maintaining the stock front bumper? Really don't want to incur the cost of a aftermarket front bumper just so we can run a recovery winch.

Thanks in advance for any feedback,

Nate

Metcalf

Expedition Leader

Wondering if I can mount a winch on my 2019 F-250 while maintaining the stock front bumper? Really don't want to incur the cost of a aftermarket front bumper just so we can run a recovery winch.

Nate

What engine do you have?

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
6.2 Gasser with factory snowplow package...no snowplow.

The gasser trucks typically have a lot more room between the front bumper and radiator without the diesel intercooler.
My 07 V10 definitely has enough room to mount a winch between the factory bumper and radiator.

An alternative idea would be to add a front receiver hitch and use a multi-mount style winch.

outdoornate65

Adventurer
The gasser trucks typically have a lot more room between the front bumper and radiator without the diesel intercooler.
My 07 V10 definitely has enough room to mount a winch between the factory bumper and radiator.

An alternative idea would be to add a front receiver hitch and use a multi-mount style winch.
I do already have a front hitch mounted up. Only downside with that is it's kinda low-slung.
Should I be looking for a bracket that would bolt to my truck if I want to mount it behind the bumper?

Metcalf

Expedition Leader

billiebob

Nate
Almost every winch manufacturer offers a variety of winch mounting plates for all the popular 4x4s. Warn being one of the best.
But the winch mount bolt pattern is pretty universal. You should be able to mix and match.

jbaucom

I don't think you want to use a front hitch winch mount to recover a Super Duty. Most hitch mounts are limited to a 9500 lb straight line pull. Any angled pull should be limited to less force. Warn makes a hidden winch mount for your truck, but it involves moving the factory bumper forward about 8 inches. and looks a bit odd in my opinion. Westin and Warn also make quality winch trays that mount in front of the bumper, and can also be optioned with a bull bar or full brush guard (in the case of the Warn Trans4mer tray). On a Super Duty, the Warn Trans4mer would be my recommendation, because they're designed for the winch to mount foot-forward, which is more desirable as winches and line-pull forces increase (12K+ winches). With the Warn Trans4mer tray you could also get rid of your low slung front receiver, because Warn offers a receiver to bolt to the bottom of the Trans4mer winch tray.

jbaucom

On a slightly different note, thoughts vary on the pros and cons of hidden mounts vs winch trays, but before committing to a hidden winch mount, consider access to the clutch lever. On some vehicles it's not too bad if there's a sufficient bumper opening, or if the grille raises with the hood. On other vehicles, the clutch on a hidden winch can only be accessed from underneath the bumper. There are other workarounds, such as a installing a remote clutch lever, or purchasing a winch like the Warn Zeon Platinum that has an electronic wireless remote clutch control. A winch on a tray is easily accessed for use, inspection, service & maintenance.

outdoornate65

Adventurer

outdoornate65

Adventurer
On a slightly different note, thoughts vary on the pros and cons of hidden mounts vs winch trays, but before committing to a hidden winch mount, consider access to the clutch lever. On some vehicles it's not too bad if there's a sufficient bumper opening, or if the grille raises with the hood. On other vehicles, the clutch on a hidden winch can only be accessed from underneath the bumper. There are other workarounds, such as a installing a remote clutch lever, or purchasing a winch like the Warn Zeon Platinum that has an electronic wireless remote clutch control. A winch on a tray is easily accessed for use, inspection, service & maintenance.
Very good point. On my previous rig (4-Runner with ARB front bumper) there was great access to the clutch without raising the hood.

WSS

Rock Stacker

Nate

If you are in so cal, I have a few warn mount plates that are basic but would be a good start point for your project.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles