Winch Mount Bolt Strength

Yes mine is a subplate that mounts to the frame. When I installed it many years ago you mount the plate first and then the outer bumper ends mount to the subplate with diagonal bracing that also attaches at the frame/subplate mounting points.

Mickey Bitsko

Adventurer
Not mentioned is the vehicle your winch is mounted.
It appears you'll be pulling a helluva lot of weight.
If you were to use an appropriate size snatch block you'd alleviate some concerned angst.

Mickey

Retired Tanker

Explorer
Not mentioned is the vehicle your winch is mounted.
It appears you'll be pulling a helluva lot of weight.
If you were to use an appropriate size snatch block you'd alleviate some concerned angst.

Mickey

I’ve learned to love getting a mechanical advantage whenever possible. Would rather reduce risk than be in a hurry.

(Edit) Sorry, I forgot that you can’t see the vehicle in Tapatalk like you can on Expo. It’s a full size Sequoia. Just shy of 6,000 pounds. I spent 21 years as a tanker recovering 50-70 ton tanks from some pretty ridiculous situations; steep hills, buried to the turret ring in mud, rollovers, high centered, you name it.

So, yeah. Unless it’s a very simple pull I’ll always try to run at least 2 live lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

arctic04trd

Really late pics. Sorry guys

Attachments

• 20180429_195516.jpg
    20180429_195516.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 55
  • 20180429_195448.jpg
    20180429_195448.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 54
  • 20180429_195439.jpg
    20180429_195439.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 54
  • 20180429_195607.jpg
    20180429_195607.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 54
  • 20180429_195457.jpg
    20180429_195457.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 53
  • 20180429_195338.jpg
    20180429_195338.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 50

Retired Tanker

Explorer
So, those were the bolts that mounted the winch to its plate and it was a “feet-forward” mount?

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Unless the front of your bumper has bent from the forces (which isn't impossible, but I would say unlikely), I'd guess it would be mounted like mine.

The overall view, two bolts through the fairlead cage, two upper ones directly through the bumper to the winch housing.
IMG_0162_mid.jpg

Those lower ones are extremely well supported, you'd have to run directly into an unforgiving concrete pole to distort them.
IMG_0158_mid.jpg

The upper ones have a decent amount of steel behind them but the holes are oversized and when you torque the bolts down with a thin washer it will dimple into the slot. I put grade 8 extra thick SAE washers under mine to support the fastener. For a 5/16" bolt those are 3/32" thick.

https://www.boltsandnuts.com/shop/5-16-sae-grade-8-extra-thick-flat-washers-zinc-yellow-39779

But even if you don't do this and let the washers distort they shouldn't be under any stress since the winch feet are being pulled into the bumper.

IMG_0159_mid.jpg

arctic04trd

So, those were the bolts that mounted the winch to its plate and it was a “feet-forward” mount?

Yes, feet forward

Unless the front of your bumper has bent from the forces (which isn't impossible, but I would say unlikely), I'd guess it would be mounted like mine.

The overall view, two bolts through the fairlead cage, two upper ones directly through the bumper to the winch housing.
View attachment 455153

Those lower ones are extremely well supported, you'd have to run directly into an unforgiving concrete pole to distort them.
View attachment 455151

The upper ones have a decent amount of steel behind them but the holes are oversized and when you torque the bolts down with a thin washer it will dimple into the slot. I put grade 8 extra thick SAE washers under mine to support the fastener. For a 5/16" bolt those are 3/32" thick.

https://www.boltsandnuts.com/shop/5-16-sae-grade-8-extra-thick-flat-washers-zinc-yellow-39779

But even if you don't do this and let the washers distort they shouldn't be under any stress since the winch feet are being pulled into the bumper.

View attachment 455152

So I upgraded everything to grade 8. It was grade 5, or 8.8 for metric.

This is how mine is mounted. I doubt the ARB bumper bent. But I guess its possible. It doesn't look wrinkled anywhere underneath or on the back side.

javajoe79

Fabricator
It seems like the holes through the bumper are a good bit larger than the bolt right? I am thinking that is why the washer caved in and the bolt head corners were smashed.

I agree with the above those slotted holes provided little support to that thin washer. A thicker and better grade of washer would be advised.

Are there no bolts from the bottom? My Warn winch bumper and M12000 winch has 4 mounting feet on the bottom and 4 front face mounts. With the one piece winch plate securing the bottom and front of the winch with 8 bolts and and the plate tied directly to the frame, I don't think mine is going anywhere.

rickc

Adventurer
For what it's worth my new ARB bumper has 10.9 bolts on all the main frame-to-bumper points and 8.8 bolts on the lighter stress items like skid plate to bumper. The winch bolts are only 8.8 because the winch is turned feet forward into the bumper; pulling on the winch pulls the winch into the bumper.

Coachgeo

Explorer
don't assume manufactures are just cutting cost with lower grade bolts. there is differences in strengths from different forces. In some places a lower grade is better cause they bend and weaken.. but do not SNAP off without warning/need of a stress gauge to let you know it is about to happen. If you change bolt grade from what manufacturer suggest.... it is also possible you void warranty if something were to happen and god forbid someone is hurt.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
This isn't right with one exception, grade 9 and metric grade 12.9. When you compare the yield and ultimate points of grade 5 and grade 8 or metric 8.8 and 10.9 you'll see the point where the higher grade yields, e.g. deforms, is higher than the ultimate, e.g. failure, point of the lower grade.

The only reason to use a grade 5 is cost and I can't imagine using a fastener as a fuse when mounting a bumper, winch or recovery point. There are of course shear bolts and pins that are expected to fail rather than destroying rotating machinery, but are there cases where a designer would expect a bolt to fail? I'd think you'd always design to be well under a fastener's strength and if that's not possible you would size up or use multiple fasteners. Replacing a 5 with an 8 (or 8.8 with a 10.9) would get you extra margin.

The exception about 9/12.9 is that there is a chance that they can experience hydrogen embrittlement if they are electroplated, so those are special application fasteners.

This page walks through examples: http://tinelok.com/grade-5-vs-grade-8-fasteners/

Last edited:

arctic04trd

Are you using a roller fairlead or have you gone to a hawse type?

I ask because I'm still using the old style fairlead that I fitted with Delrin rollers and I wonder if having the fairlead cage, which you have to drill to fit and ends up under two of the winch mounting bolts, helps increase rigidity of the bumper. Two of the bolts have in effect probably a 1/2" (maybe more?) thick washer under them and there's all that extra bracing tying the void in the bumper together.

I haven't seen any fastener issues other than some of the washers tend to deform when they get forced into a slot or oversized hole.

It's always seemed to me kind of a kludge to use those hawse fairleads on ARB bumpers, which weren't intended originally to work that way. So I could absolutely see the front face of them flexing is what I'm saying.
I forgot to reply to this. I had the Warn fairlead that came with the winch. Its powdercoated steel. I have since gone to a Factor 55 1.5" fairlead. Have yet to do a pull with it.

I agree with you. The deformation is probably due to the weaker washers as well. If I upgraded just the washers I would probably have better results. But I've gone gr8 on everything. So we shall see in due time. The other option, I suppose, is adding more plate km the front and "reinforcing" the mounting holes. Make the new hole on the plate identical width to the bolts. Less "sucking in" action will occur.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier