Winch.... hitch winches vs. integrated

What type of winch mounts?

• Total voters

Ramdough

Adventurer
What do you all think? Removeable hitch style winch mounts or integrated front bumper winches?

I have an ARB, so I could easily go either way.

Just starting the conversation.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
I think it depends upon what you do with your rig. There is nothing stronger than an integrated mount. If you rig is primarily an offroad vehicle, that just makes sense.
Mine is primarily daily driven on asphalt. I really don't need to pack the weight most of the time. The hitch mount just made sense for me.

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
I have one buddy with a quick mount. Its to heavy to drag in and out all the time. So it spends most of its time on the front. The quick mount puts it MUCH lower and farther out then it would have been on a perment mount. Becasue of the mount you have to have the reciver pointing out the back. That means on most vehicles that reciver will have to be lower then the radiator or it will have to stick out the front a good bit.

I have seen it used on the rear only once.

That said it does allow use on multiple vehciles.
You could put a reciver anywhere on your vehcile and use it.

Scott Brady

Founder
If you do a lot of solo travel and have a good way to secure the winch, I would go with the multi mount then, or, mount it to the front and get a tirfor style winch for rear or misdirected pulls.

jkam

nomadic man
The one on my van is hitch mounted. I can use it front or rear and have welding cable long enough to run to the rear. I've never needed it for me but have used it to pull a few others out of places.
Pulling someone out with the winch on the rear seems safer to me, don't know if that's true or not, seems so though.

Willman

Winching from the both ends!!!

I am running a Warn multi-winch reciever system! It has saved my bacon many times!!! Great for trails or areas where winching from the rear is very handy!!!

I love it!!! For your ARB...this is what i did.....

DSC01613.jpg

Here is the writeup....
http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2747

Down a few posts!!!

Both recievers are custom built for my Tacoma.

Good Luck!!!

:ylsmoke:

Last edited:

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
I just voted on the Bumper mounted one... IMO the Multi-Mount has it pro's and cons. The main con I see is my back. I would much rather have one already integrated to the bumper than drive around with it on the front by a hitch interfering with the approach angle. Most stucks happen in a bad spot, and I would rather not lug the winch around in most of those areas, whether it be mud, forest, or rocks (possible slips and falls). For solo runs I see the safety aspect to cause the bumper integrated winch to win my vote since I personally would not run the winch on a hitch mount until I needed it for the approach angle.

robert

Expedition Leader
I've always had bumper mounted winches. Sucks when you need to go backwards though.

I always wondered about the approach and departure angles myself. The other thing I worried about was angled pulls- I've done a few where the cable wasn't straight out (and I didn't have a way to redirect the cable). How much force before the hitch mount bends? It may be safe up to a point, but I don't have any clue what Warn says about it. :confused:

Willman

robert said:
I've always had bumper mounted winches. Sucks when you need to go backwards though.

I always wondered about the approach and departure angles myself. The other thing I worried about was angled pulls- I've done a few where the cable wasn't straight out (and I didn't have a way to redirect the cable). How much force before the hitch mount bends? It may be safe up to a point, but I don't have any clue what Warn says about it. :confused:

In my case and many others.....you really have to be careful on this one!!! My frame would bend before my bumper or reciver would!!!!! Both my bumpers are built solid.....the frame is what you have to worry about....It is important to know your limits and use good judgement!! Snatch blocks are key with winching!! Having good rigging skills can save you and your rig!!!

:costumed-smiley-007

Willman

flyingwil said:
I just voted on the Bumper mounted one... IMO the Multi-Mount has it pro's and cons. The main con I see is my back. I would much rather have one already integrated to the bumper than drive around with it on the front by a hitch interfering with the approach angle. Most stucks happen in a bad spot, and I would rather not lug the winch around in most of those areas, whether it be mud, forest, or rocks (possible slips and falls). For solo runs I see the safety aspect to cause the bumper integrated winch to win my vote since I personally would not run the winch on a hitch mount until I needed it for the approach angle.

Where's the pro's??????........lol

You make some good points Wil.....Never really had a fall or slip hazard. I do see your point on that one. I don't think my approach angle with the winch is a big deal....Most times i wheel with the winch in the bed of the truck. I like that i am saving the weight off my front end of my rig vs a hard mount instead.

:ylsmoke:

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
Willman said:
In my case and many others.....you really have to be careful on this one!!! My frame would bend before my bumper or reciver would!!!!! Both my bumpers are built solid.....the frame is what you have to worry about....It is important to know your limits and use good judgement!! Snatch blocks are key with winching!! Having good rigging skills can save you and your rig!!!

Do you find any issues with the approach angles?

Willman

Heres a picture to give you an idea.....

DSC01610.jpg

It really is not that big of a deal to take it in and out if needs be.......I like having the winch out of the weather....my winch still looks new!!! By the way...Warn builds a solid frame for that winch to rest on!!! It can take a beating....

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
I vote integrated. better storage for the winch, no set up time which could make or break a recovery attempt if extracting a vehicle "on the edge" or stuck in a water crossing. Alos you do not loose precious bed or cab space to sotre it not to mention having to build something to seculy mount the heavy beast. Plus you will always have it rather then be tempted to leave it in the garage when not in use. Thuse you may find your self driving up on a situation that you need a winch to help someone out and miss out on your chance of 5 oclock news glory!!! LOL! Plus how often have you ever seen anyone winch them selves backward. I know it happens but it is rare. If it does need to happen the rig behind you should be able to help you out.

Westy

Adventurer
I have a Warn M8000 mounted on the front of my Toyota with a hitch setup on a custom bumper. They can be built plenty strong enough, I dont think that should be a concern but rather the approach angle and lack of protection for the winch itself is my main concern.

All in all, it is a great setup and easy to remove, and switch to the rear - as long as you have the winch wiring setup to run front and rear that is.

I've done some crazy sideways pulls and up waterfalls, never with a problem. My next setup on the truck will be integrated however, I have run into a few circumstances on the trail where I have had to take a more angled approach up obstacles because the winch does protrude out with the hitch setup. My truck is not an expedition vehicle however :elkgrin:

I could see the hitch setup being more practical on an expedition vehicle, allowing rear winching, removing it all together and storing in the bed on a mount (that is what I did when I was not on the trail).

robert

Expedition Leader
Willman said:

Agreed about technique and good judgement- I've seen quite a few folks do pulls I'd have never tried. It amazes me how many folks have never read anything on winching or recovery. I'm also probably overly paranoid having seen the effects of wire rope failure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles