winch for trailer loading and (rare, if ever) trail use...

irish44j

I've used winches before in various capacities (from industrial to maritime) and done plenty of reading, so just throwing this out there for some opinion. I plan to pick up a winch for general utility duties and last-resort trail backup (which I expect to rarely/never use). The winch will be on a hitch receiver plate so I can move it around to different vehicles as needed:

1. Primary: use in loading cars on my trailer, since I pick up non-running projects a few times a year (nothing too heavy). The trailer will have a hitch receiver at the front of the deck to mount the winch tray when needed.
2. Secondary: my wheeling vehicle is a 2-door Dodge Raider. So my total trail weight is probably never going to exceed 4000lbs. It's not an overlander, just used for day-trails, so not looking to "carry heavy" with a bunch of super-heavy gear. It will eventually have a front hitch receiver as well. But really, I don't do anything particularly hardcore in it - no big rock-crawling or mudding, just green and blue trails - which it shouldn't ever have any real issues with. I may carry a winch along just in case something unexpected happens - but again, would prefer not to have a ton of weight load.
3. Third: for racing (stage rally) I have a Sequoia tow rig, with front and rear receivers. Never had a need for a winch since it doesn't do any serious offroading, but never know when we're clearing a stage and want to drag a fallen tree off the road or something. It would NOT be used to actually recover the Sequoia, since it doesn't go anywhere it could get stuck, in general. It is used on roads, in muddy paddock areas, and on fire roads at most - never actual ORV trails.

Since it'll be on a hitch mount, the winch will not live on a vehicle, but will be in the garage or inside a vehicle at all times when not in use - so it won't be getting rained on, or muddy, or whatever.

So....I'm thinking of just going with one of the larger budget UTV-type winches (like HF Badland 5000lb), which is light enough to haul around in the Raider without too much weight penalty and seems like it would be fine for trailer loading and the occasional light utility pulls. In the event I ever need to recover the Raider for some reason, I would use a snatch block to multiply the load.

Again, this would mostly be used for trailer loading - any use on-trail would be extremely rare and only as a last resort (I always wheel with friends who have capable rigs as well, and carry a snatch strap). We're not out in the Moab, just in forests here on the east coast....so it's not like I'll be stranded if I get stuck anyhow! And of course with the very little use, I'd prefer not to spend a ton of money on something that is just gonna sit there.

I know based on the "1.5-2x GVWR" number a 9k winch would be "ideal" and doesn't cost that much more, but that's 100+lbs vs. about 35lbs. (which matters in the little Raider and when we're hauling 6-800lbs of race gear in the Sequoia - it all adds up quick).

So, any reason a 5k Badlands winch wouldn't accomplish those tasks just fine?

Photo just because threads are more fun with a photo....

jZLxahJh.jpg

Last edited:

irish44j

If you carry a snatch block it can turn your 5k into a 10K, well almost.

yep, I do carry one, which is why I figure a smaller winch would be fine in the unlikely event I need to recover with it. Just wanted to make sure I'm not missing something lol.

irish44j

Sounds good to me.
Just use fatass conductors from its power source to wherever its pulling from.

yep, I will set up pre-wiring on both the Raider and the Sequioa for easy switching, with long leads in case I need to use it in the rear (or on the trailer). On that line, any suggestions for good conductor/plug setups?

billiebob

I'm thinking of just going with one of the larger budget UTV-type winches (like HF Badland 5000lb), which is light enough to haul around in the Raider without too much weight penalty and seems like it would be fine for trailer loading and the occasional light utility pulls
Ideal choice.

I used to install winches and PTOs in the 1970s, back then the industry standard for both forestry and oilfield pickups, full size cuz there was no mid size, was the Tulsa 5E, a 5K# electric winch. No 1.5 times the vehicle weight BS. A 5K# winch would pull a 6K# pickup buried in mud to the axles..... without a snatch block.

For your use, that 5K# Badlands should have no problem.

Very cool, I have not seen a Raider in years.... maybe decades.... is it gas or diesel ?

Last edited:

dreadlocks

yep, I will set up pre-wiring on both the Raider and the Sequioa for easy switching, with long leads in case I need to use it in the rear (or on the trailer). On that line, any suggestions for good conductor/plug setups?

High Amp Andersons, and either welding cable on cheap end or marine grade tinned on the buy once, cry once side.

billiebob

The longer the run the bigger the voltage drop,,,, therefore the bigger wire size needed.
There are charts and graphs to tell you what wire to use.

Any truck shop should be able to build you cables, they do it daily for heavy trucks. And they will be the best buy.
Know exactly what you need before you go, step up a size if you need to, not down. But know the minimum size you need. And length, they can cut it to the inch.

Last edited:

irish44j

Ideal choice.

I used to install winches and PTOs in the 1970s, back then the industry standard for both forestry and oilfield pickups, full size cuz there was no mid size, was the Tulsa 5E, a 5K# electric winch. No 1.5 times the vehicle weight BS. A 5K# winch would pull a 6K# pickup buried in mud to the axles..... without a snatch block.

For your use, that 5K# Badlands should have no problem.

Very cool, I have not seen a Raider in years.... maybe decades.... is it gas or diesel ?

V6 gas, manual transmission, LSD rear end. I did a build thread for it in the Mitsubishi section here if you are interested. I basically built it from two different Raiders (one with a blown engine and good body + one with a rusty body and good engine+5-speed).

jgaz

Adventurer
A friend of mine did exactly what you’re talking about with his trailer 6 or 7 years ago.
It has worked out fine for him.

A few details in this thread

irish44j

A friend of mine did exactly what you’re talking about with his trailer 6 or 7 years ago.
It has worked out fine for him.

A few details in this thread

Cool - that is exactly the setup that I was thinking of doing, with a few minor detail changes.

aardvarcus

Adventurer
I also did the winch on a receiver setup, the "problem" with utv winches is low duty cycle due to permanent magnet motors and shorter line length. The problem with "normal" winches is weight, especially after adding the metal receiver mount. I eventually upgraded to a warn vr evo 8000lb swapped to synthectic line. That was the lightest weight series wound winch with a high efficiency motor at a reasonable price.

irish44j

Just to follow up - I did end up getting the 5k winch. As noted, it will mostly (so, on occasion) be used for trailer loading, and I think it will be sufficient for the Raider in the the event it gets stuck (it's never gotten close to stuck so far). Noted about duty cycle, but I'm not going to be going anyplace where I woudl hopefully ever need more than a light tug - not like those Aussie guys who seem to winch every 10 minutes lol. Also got a snatch block/tree saver and converted it to synthetic (7k) line - 50 feet.

Since this rig is pretty lightweight compared to that big overland stuff, and it's primarily used on green-blue trails at best, I think it should be sufficient. If I have to upgrade later, I'll upgrade later, no big deal. I see it being used more often to pull a log off the rally roads during reconnaissance runs, or stuff like that which has to be done before rally cars go through.

Anyhow, here's the setup, in case anyone cares.

HBCnrE1h.jpg

UCeFGv2h.jpg

Cdo6F6Rh.jpg

v9eVVzFh.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles