Winch extension: ARB strap or Synthetic Amsteel Blue

SFL_driver

Observer
New to off-roading and interested in overlanding.
I just purchased a More Power Puller by Wyeth Scott with 35ft of 5/16 Amsteel Blue.
I want to get a little more reach incase the closest anchor is a bit further away.
Considering the ARB 65' winch extension strap or Master Pull 5/16 Amsteel Blue 75' extension.

The ARB is almost half the cost.
Benefits of the Synthetic line is I could use it with a snatch block. Also if the line on my come-along snapped I could get the extension to work on there.

What are your thoughts?

(I found an old post from 2010 on this topic but it seemed inconclusive and off track).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Here are the two cheapest places I have seen for bulk rope. The owner, Steve, of the second link frequents the forum and is very helpful with splicing tips. Also, OPIE on the forum is a Commercial Splicer with tons of Youtube videos (kris splicing) who has given some great advise as well. If you end up trying this, there are tons of us that will help you.

http://www.reddenmarine.com/samson-rope-amsteel-blue-foot.html

http://www.southeastoverland.com/in...duct_id=62&virtuemart_category_id=7&Itemid=33

Last edited:

zelatore

Explorer
Agreed with the above - 100% rope over strap. MUCH smaller and lighter to pack, repairable, and can be run through a pulley if needed. As your recovery gear kit grows you'll never regret having the rope extension - just so much easier to deal with.

ExploringNH

Explorer
I like Amsteel extension. Pack smaller and can be run through a pulley block if needed. Plus field repairable.

To save some money and practice your splicing skills you can always make your own as well.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/77016-Winch-Extension-Making-your-own-a-tutorial

X2 on all of the above points.

The rope packs smaller and lighter which is the largest benefit for me. My recovery gear takes up a lot of space and the gear bag is heavy. Anything to reduce that weight and space is great. I also think that the rope is the more versatile option.

SFL_driver

Observer
Thank you everyone for the replies and beowulf, thank you especially for the links. I'm going to try to splice my own lines. Doing things myself is all that much more satisfying.

trae

Adventurer
New to off-roading and interesting in overlanding.
I just purchased a More Power Puller by Wyeth Scott with 35ft of 5/16 Amsteel Blue.
I want to get a little more reach incase the closest anchor is a bit further away.
Considering the ARB 65' winch extension strap or Master Pull 5/16 Amsteel Blue 75' extension.

The ARB is almost half the cost.
Benefits of the Synthetic line is I could use it with a snatch block. Also if the line on my come-along snapped I could get the extension to work on there.

What are your thoughts?

(I found an old post from 2010 on this topic but it seemed inconclusive and off track).

I see you opted to get a come along instead of a powered winch. I'm thinking about doing the same; mind sharing your thought process?

aardvarcus

Adventurer
The biggest advantages to a come along (which I also have) in lieu of a winch in my opinion are weight and not needing a dedicated winch mount on your vehicle. With a come along you don't need a bumper mount or front receiver, you can just hook to a recovery point and pull. There are other advantages and disadvantages, it really depends on your specific needs. I have considered buying a winch (mainly for utility purposes) but if I do I will also keep my come along in my kit.

Do you have any sort of strap in your kit? I have several 20' and 30' tow straps for come-along extensions, while they are bulky from a storage standpoint, offer lots of flexibility as to varying the length of the extension. For example, your come along has 35' of reach, what do you do for a recovery point 45' away? A super long extension can be a bit of a hindrance in that situation unless you double/triple it on itself. Additionally smaller straps can also be used as a tow (not snatch) strap, and as a "tree saver" anchor. I would suggest having at least one tow strap in your arsenal.

Scoutn79

Adventurer
If you aren't going to have a tow strap at all then get the winch rope. The strap will stretch and since you are winching by hand then you are just wasting your energy until you pull all of the stretch out of the strap. Plus you can get rope in virtually any length you want where as a strap is only 30' max. I would get 100'+ of rope. Starting with only 35' on your hand puller is really going to limit you, as you probably figured, unless you live in the PNW. I have had to add length to my 150' wire rope to reach a proper anchor point.

Darrell

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
I'd rather have two shorter ones, than just one long one. If only one, 100'. If multiple, do something like 25' and 75'. This one will really depend on.......well on everything. Personal preference, where you travel....etc.

Another benefit of a rope is it can be used to fix your main winch line if it is damaged, either as replacement, or to fix a shredded end/section to maintain length. I know you're using a hand winch now, but if things change in the future, your set.

SFL_driver

Observer
I'd rather have two shorter ones, than just one long one. If only one, 100'. If multiple, do something like 25' and 75'. This one will really depend on.......well on everything. Personal preference, where you travel....etc.

Another benefit of a rope is it can be used to fix your main winch line if it is damaged, either as replacement, or to fix a shredded end/section to maintain length. I know you're using a hand winch now, but if things change in the future, your set.

Using two separate ropes and a shackle to attach them if needed makes a lot of sense to me. 25 and 75 should work well.
I'll also be making the extensions myself using your post from back in 2012 that you included in your first reply. Thanks Beowulf!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke