Willys Wheeler Wrangler

njtacoma

Explorer
It sounds like your talking about a "body in white" car that the factories sell to build race cars. A car, but not a car, so you can do what you want. The problem is they generally don't have a VIN and are not street legal.

A body in white Jeep would be cool, if it had a VIN it would be better.

The Last Cowboy

As I stated above. You can most definitely get a Rubicon without power do-dads (except A/C is standard). You may have a hard time finding one on the lot, but you can order it that way for sure.

Go to Jeep.com and select the build and price on a Wrangler. Power windows/locks are an option as are the half doors. Cloth seats are standard. A base 2 door Rubicon stickers for $31,990.

http://www.jeep.com/hostc/bmo/CUJ201406/models.do?

Here's one near me, with half doors.

http://www.chrysler.com/hostd/windowsticker/getWindowStickerPdf.do?vin=1C4BJWCG9EL157727

The plastic bumpers are made to be tossed and are worthless. The carpet and roll bar padding are easily removed. Many people spray Line-X or similar inside, which is the plan for mine.

Don't throw away those 32" BFG KMs before you use them on a tough trail. They are surprisingly good.

My Jeep? A base Wrangler with a set of brand new Rubicon wheels/tires bought at a give away price. It surprises the hell out of me every time I use it off road. A 4-1 low range and locked difs would be over kill for what I do. But the 4.10 gears would be nice.

Sadly, those Rubicon difs only lock in 4 low, but I hear there is a work around for it.

Last edited:

Septu

Explorer
Excuse my ignorance, but what is the advantage of having it lock in 4 HI?

Depends on how you're trying to use the lockers. 4HI locked is excellent when trying to keep momentum yet still need some speed in snow or mud. I can think of several times where I had to choose between speed (to try and float - we have very very fine snow) or lockers. I usually chose speed... by why limit yourself? Once I get another switch pod going, this is on my list.

The Last Cowboy

The Rubicon has open differentials when they are not locked. In 4 high the difs are open, just like any other Wrangler without the limited slip option.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
As I stated above. You can most definitely get a Rubicon without power do-dads (except A/C is standard). You may have a hard time finding one on the lot, but you can order it that way for sure..

Sorry I wasn't clearer.

You can't order a 4 door Rubicon without power windows and locks. That changed in 2012.

-Dan

The Last Cowboy

Just looked. You're right about that. However, you can still specify half doors. But you get no credit for the power windows/locks if you do so.

Better yet, buy a base model and build it the way you want. The frame, suspension (with the exception of shocks), engine, rear differential and transmissions are all the same.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Just looked. You're right about that. However, you can still specify half doors. But you get no credit for the power windows/locks if you do so.

Better yet, buy a base model and build it the way you want. The frame, suspension (with the exception of shocks), engine, rear differential and transmissions are all the same.

That's an option for sure.

I want the D44 up front, lockers front and rear and the lower gearing in the transfer case. For that, it's line-ball price wise on buying the Rubicon or buying a sport and doing it yourself.
I think the factory warranty on the Rubicon pushes it in that direction. For me, at least.

-Dan

Septu

Explorer
That's an option for sure.

I want the D44 up front, lockers front and rear and the lower gearing in the transfer case. For that, it's line-ball price wise on buying the Rubicon or buying a sport and doing it yourself.
I think the factory warranty on the Rubicon pushes it in that direction. For me, at least.

-Dan

There's also resale value. I don't think anyone doubts that a sport can be built to something better than a Rubicon... and potentially for roughly the same price (assuming you do a lot of the work yourself). But if you're not going to modify it much past what the Rubi is stock, then I'm not sure what benefit there is to modify a sport other than the initial cost.

The Last Cowboy

Resale is a consideration. As we all have probably found out, modifications are worth nothing at resale unless you find the right buyer.

goin camping

Explorer
When I first opened this thread I had prejudged a bit in that I expected the usual JK with a Willys sticker. Kinda correct but. The 3.73s and limited slip differential are nice. Actually the entire package (except Willy sticker) is a pretty nice set up for my desert exploring. If the price of the package is below ordering up to one. I'll probably get one next year.

Because I have a stock 42 MB I would have to peel the Willys sticker off the new one.

It would be nice to be able to go delete crazy when ordering a new jeep. Bring down the interior poshness to that of my yj. No woofers etc. Just sheet steel and floor mats.

jscusmcvet

Explorer
It would be nice to be able to go delete crazy when ordering a new jeep. Bring down the interior poshness to that of my yj. No woofers etc. Just sheet steel and floor mats.

Exactly... and when you're at it delete the stability control and the downhill mode button, whatever that is...

Judoka

Learning To Live
Depends on how you're trying to use the lockers. 4HI locked is excellent when trying to keep momentum yet still need some speed in snow or mud. I can think of several times where I had to choose between speed (to try and float - we have very very fine snow) or lockers. I usually chose speed... by why limit yourself? Once I get another switch pod going, this is on my list.

I can tell you that locking up in snow at speeds higher than jus 10mph will make that back end get loose. slick mud or clay too. It is much easier to allow trac control to help in the real slipery stuff. Dont believe me? Try it.:ylsmoke:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles