Willys Wheeler Wrangler

haven

Expedition Leader
willyswheeler.jpg

Jeep will offer the Willys Wheeler special edition of the 2014 Wrangler soon. Starting with a $27K Wrangler Sport S with Dana 44 rear axle and a limited slip diff with 3.73 gears, the Willys Wheeler adds fancy wheels, mud terrain tires, and rocker protection, and a kit with tow strap, shackle and gloves. And a Willys decal. So you receive maybe $2K worth of options for free. (Or for $27K, you could buy a two year old Rubicon...just sayin')

The Willys Wheeler will be available in any of the Wrangler colors, and you can add additional Wrangler options when you order.

HARDTRAILZ

Certified
Jeep just won't stop adding crappy little option packages... The JK's are a great vehicle, but the stickers and BS really could stop anytime.

BuffaloFunk

Observer
So what are all the editions that have basically been sticker packages with some different tires or wheels? Hmmm... we've had the Freedom Edition, Rocky Mountain Edition, Islander Edition, Mountain Edition, 70th Anniversary Edition, MW3 Edition (ok, this one had some good stuff), Moab Edition (two with some good stuff), Dragon Edition, Polar Edition, and now this?

It would be one thing if it they actually released one that set it apart from the pack besides some black side-steps that aren't even sliders, or some plastic do-hickies that go over the tail lamps. How about something that is like the ZR1 to the Corvette, or the SRT-8 to the Grand Cherokee, or the Raptor to the F-150. Yeah, the Rubicon is awesome, but why not take it that one step further?

SouthPawXJ

Observer
Just some food for thought:

Here's what doesn't come standard on a Sport S:
- 3.73 Axle Ratio
- Rear Limited Slip Differential
- Mopar Rock Rails
- BFG KMs from the Factory
- Black Wheels
- "Trail Rated" Kit (Kinda hokey)
- Sticker

Clearly, its just a sticker package. /sarcasm

Could you get all of those on a Sport S (other than the Sticker) from the factory? Possibly. However, if you get this package, it comes standard (which is nice when you're looking at one on a lot). The whole purpose of this edition is a cheap(er) capable off road vehicle. Its not a Rubicon, but its better than any other Jeep option from the factory available this model year.

XSapper

Jeep offered a Willys edition TJ about 10 years ago. Basically a dark glossy OD green color with a matching soft top, military style canvas bag for the owners manual (similar to what I got with my JK) some military themed stickers on the outside. They've been doing it for years Renegade, Sahara, Honcho etc. and as long they keep selling them, they'll keep making them. I can't remember what they called it but they were talking about making a JK for the the old school Jeepers that would be bare bones on frill options, have half doors and beefier axles like the Rubicon. I think the MOAB was the compromise though and it didn't impress me that much.

Septu

Explorer
I just don't understand why people even care. If you don't like it, don't buy it. Jeep doesn't make these for you and me... they make these for everyone else.

The Last Cowboy

My JK is a base Sport. I peeled all the stickers off and put a set of brand new take off Rubicon wheels/tires on it. With 3.73 open difs and a 6 speed, it has gone everywhere I've dared take it with no problems. Imagine that, without special decals.

Many guys on Wranglerforum.com go crazy salivating over the latest decal package or color. Funny I think, but the enthusiasm it creates is a good thing.

Record Wrangler sales imply that Jeep knows how to market this vehicle. Hell, I bought one. As long as sales are strong, I believe that Jeep will be less likely to mess with the current formula. At least lets hope so. It's among the last vehicles of it's kind available in the world and the only one for sale new in the US. if stickers are part of the reason, so be it.

RoyJ

Adventurer
What a waste of a good name.

Yeah, considering the original Willys had a fire breathing Hemi, lockers and 4:1 transfer case, sway bar disconnects, and massive suspension travel / articulation.

Oh wait...

As cool as the original was, let's face it, the modern JK is better in almost every single way. How's that a waste?

Nick02

How's that a waste?
Last I checked Willys Jeeps did not have a plastic grille, minivan motors, airbags, offset axles and a massive WMS of 65".
You can get a Willys Jeep into places places JK's can never go, let it sit for years and push start it with 3 year old gas, only need some ducttape, JB weld, hammer and zipties to fix anything.
I'll take a F head, T-90 and Dana 18 over a fancy aluminum 4:1 swaybar coil sprung over-engineered CAFE mandated minivan anyday.
That JK doesn't deserve to wear the Jeep Willys badge.

forsakenfuture

Explorer
Yeah, considering the original Willys had a fire breathing Hemi, lockers and 4:1 transfer case, sway bar disconnects, and massive suspension travel / articulation.

Oh wait...

As cool as the original was, let's face it, the modern JK is better in almost every single way. How's that a waste?

I agree but people will always be obsessed with the original, no matter what it is. For the record I also have a 1946 Willys.

I also agree that Jeep needs to cool down with the (basically) sticker packages.

RoyJ

Adventurer
Last I checked Willys Jeeps did not have a plastic grille, minivan motors, airbags, offset axles and a massive WMS of 65".
You can get a Willys Jeep into places places JK's can never go, let it sit for years and push start it with 3 year old gas, only need some ducttape, JB weld, hammer and zipties to fix anything.
I'll take a F head, T-90 and Dana 18 over a fancy aluminum 4:1 swaybar coil sprung over-engineered CAFE mandated minivan anyday.
That JK doesn't deserve to wear the Jeep Willys badge.

What benefit does a metal grille serve? You'd take a low compression primitive motor that barely runs on modern 87 octane, over a sophisticated, fuel efficient, vastly more powerful and quieter motor?

It's "over-engineered", got airbags, and coil sprung for a reason. Do you want your family in a Willys if you're about to be hit by a drunk driver?

Your argument is like to tell the Navy to ditch the over complex F18s and go back to Sopwith Camels because they can start on some old gas and be fixed with a crescent wrench...

RoyJ

Adventurer
I agree but people will always be obsessed with the original, no matter what it is. For the record I also have a 1946 Willys.

I also agree that Jeep needs to cool down with the (basically) sticker packages.

I do agree that Jeep is going a bit far with sticker packages. And Chrysler in general - Just look at the Charger/300/Challenger!

However, it's simply ignorant to say a modern vehicle "embarrass" an older vehicle by sharing its name, as long as the modern reincarnation is physically capable.

Another good example is the Power Wagon - some folks insist you have to have a noisy truck that breaks your back at the first speed bump, to be a "real" PW. Again, the modern one can do everything the original one did, but better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz