Willman's 2001 Tacoma

pray4surf

Explorer
Thanks guys!

Wheel is 23 +/- LBS and the tire is 45 LBS....Not too bad.

The 265's really don't like my 4.88 gears on the highway.....70 = 2900 RMP....Not bad but not the best mpg....I was getting between 14.5 to 16.5 on the Highway. Looking at jumping sizes to the 285...

My 4.88's love my 285/75R16's - a post-thanksgiving trip from San Diego to Prescott and back averaging ~20 mpg - kept the speed (GPS-calced) below 70mph - but then again the truck was fairly unloaded - I'd like to repeat the trip with my RTT for comparison... I have the 2.7L motor with the auto trans (for the record).

jeverich

Luddite
4.88s are definitely too low for 265s...

Same setup as pray for surf; except 255s. Consistently 20 MPG sans RTT. Can't complain about that with a fully armored rig..

Willman

Great feed back guys.

I'm packing the V6....The gears are a little low but manageable. The Duratrac is larger 265 then most.

Sounds like the 255 cooper SST Maxx will be available Feb. I might plan on making the change to those.

Willman

Tire Change......

255/85 R16 Cooper SST Maxx:

IMG_3037.jpg

I'm in love!

More Here:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...ering-255-85-16s-ST-MAXX-is-coming-soon/page7

soonenough

Explorer
Looks great! From someone who's had both, what are your initial impressions of the ST Maxx vs the Duratrac? What made you switch? I know you haven't had too much time with the new Coopers yet, but not too many people have run both sets of tires brand new within 2 months of each other, and I'm curious to hear how they compare.

When my BFG ATs (265/75/16) wear out, I was planning to switch to 285/75/16 Duratracs. I ran them in the 265/75/16 size for 60k and loved them. But seeing this has me possibly reconsidering, especially since, compared to the 285/75, the 255/85 reduces the likelihood for fender rubbing (2nd gen), likely gets better gas mileage, less rolling resistance and road noise, etc.

Last edited:

Jeremy P.

Adventurer
Do you have any mpg observations from the 255/85r16 ST Maxx's yet? I am considering running these tires, and hope they would be an improvement over a similar 285/75r16 size tire.

zzz150

Adventurer
Any updates on the new tires? Would love to hear how they're working out, and how they compare to the Duratracs.

when it comes to toughness of the tires being compared, duratracs have thin weak sidewall construction, which is why they are lighter. for a rig that sees trails the coopers are without any doubt a better tire.

soonenough

Explorer
Hey Willman, how are you liking the 255/85 S/T Maxxs after using them for a while? Do the sidewalls seem too stiff for a relatively lightweight truck? Any noticeable increase in road noise?

Willman

They are a great tire! I notice no MPG loss. I average 14-17 mpg depending what is going on. Sidewall construction is beefy! It would take a gun or a really sharp rock to bring these down. I have had them in snow, ice, sand, gravel, & mud. They do like to pickup small rocks...But what tires don't.....No road noise....I guess i'm use to BF muds....

Overall. Great tire. Solid. plus good looking.

The chicks dig them with my Method wheels!

Willman

No docs on the alum build. Truck sold in WA. Boy I do miss the truck! The new owner is keeping her busy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior