Will this radio transmit on GMRS frequencies?

dreadlocks

UV-5R will be fine, you just need to know what Channel and any privacy tone they using, then look up the frequencies and input em into your UV-5R, save it as a memory and then lock the keypad so you dont press one of tons of buttons and change something w/out noticing.. then do a radio check w/someone in the party if you can beforehand just to get your testing outta the way.

I used a UV5R on GMRS a lil bit, seemed to do well.. was a good while ago tho.

jonathon

You can still find used FT7900R radios easily, just scored one on eBay for $130 with the separation kit.

Yaesu has the FT4-XR that uses the same chipset as the Baofeng, just that it’s certified and the quality appears better on the surface. Not only that but it can unlocked with a key code. $70 online at many places. For that I’m going to pick one up to play with as a spare, might even replace the Baofeng.

Explorer0863

Adventurer
.....As built none of the amateur Yaesu radios will transmit out of band, e.g. they can receive GMRS but the firmware locks you out from trying to transmit....

@DaveInDenver This is a great and very informative thread. I found it via Google search looking for information on why my Kenwood can listen but won’t transmit on GMRS. I think I found my answer. My rig is a Discovery II with very limited space for radios. I already have 2 radios installed: a SSB CB and the Ham. Like some here, I was trying to avoid a third mobile radio.

Explorer0863

Adventurer
any name brand ham radio designed for US market will not work out of the box on GMRS, they will also be locked within their respective frequencies.. much like GMRS is to theirs.

my Kenwood required removing of an aforementioned resistor to unlock its transmit capabilities, known colloquially as a MARS/CAP modification.. not all radios support such modifications, but many do. IIRC MARS dont care if you use certified equipment as long as your permitted to operate on their freqs, most of the operators are using such mods.. it took me longer to take the case off and put it back on than it did to desolder the resistor, but I'm quite experienced with surface mount soldering.

I modified mine just to work w/my GMRS setup, it was not feasible to install two separate radios/antennas on my vehicle.. one was hard enough.. usually im working APRS on VHF and GMRS on UHF when out adventuring.

@dreadlocks See my previous post. ^^ I have an old Kenwood TM-G707 dual band radio. Do you know if my radio supports the MARS/CAP modification?

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
IIRC MARS dont care if you use certified equipment as long as your permitted to operate on their freqs, most of the operators are using such mods..
This statement is 180° wrong. Actual USAF and Army MARS/CAP cares about the equipment you use far more than the FCC. They require operators to have radios that meet NTIA standards, which for the most part ham radios do not. Even old used public service and business band radios are marginal. Not to mention MARS is narrowband P25 digital now and not analog wideband FM. To be MARS VHF+ compliant you'd pretty much need current or one generation prior Motorola, Kenwood, Harris, Bendix/King, EF Johnson, Tait, etc. digital radios.

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
The AnyTone AT-799UV

• It is legal!
This is true, FCC ID is T4K-779UV, granted for Part 95E.
• Can be easily modified to allow transmitting and receiving on the 2 meters and 70 cms Ham bands with a proper Amateur Radio license!
Doing this negates the above statement.

It might be true that it can be modified to work on ham bands and, if so, then it would be fine to use it there but it would make it no longer legal on GMRS.

rnArmy

Adventurer
I'm getting ready to go on an overlanding trip in October with a group, and they're wanting us to communicate via GMRS. I have a little dual-band 5W BaoFeng UV-5R mounted in my Jeep (with an external antenna), and I believe it gets the GMRS frequencies (I punched them in to see, and it does). However, I'm wondering if I'd be better off with a slightly larger dual-band radio (or maybe I'm just looking for an excuse to buy one).

I have both a GMRS license, and a HAM radio license (KI7TSP). And just because I have my HAM license doesn't mean I know a lot.

I'm looking at one of these: https://baofengtech.com/uv-25x2 A small dual-band 25 Watt HAM radio. My questions are:

1. Will this transmit on the GMRS frequencies, and will it transmit at 25 Watts (or whatever max the radio is designed for)?

2. Is that even "legal" for GMRS (25 Watts even if you have a HAM license)?

It says the range goes up to 520mHz (VHF: 136-174 MHz(Rx/Tx). UHF: 400-520 MHz(Rx/Tx). I've read where some radios have locked-out the GMRS frequencies.

Thanks! I'm still trying to google this, but not finding stuff related to those with a HAM license, etc.
I'm getting ready to go on an overlanding trip in October with a group, and they're wanting us to communicate via GMRS. I have a little dual-band 5W BaoFeng UV-5R mounted in my Jeep (with an external antenna), and I believe it gets the GMRS frequencies (I punched them in to see, and it does). However, I'm wondering if I'd be better off with a slightly larger dual-band radio (or maybe I'm just looking for an excuse to buy one).

I have both a GMRS license, and a HAM radio license (KI7TSP). And just because I have my HAM license doesn't mean I know a lot.

I'm looking at one of these: https://baofengtech.com/uv-25x2 A small dual-band 25 Watt HAM radio. My questions are:

1. Will this transmit on the GMRS frequencies, and will it transmit at 25 Watts (or whatever max the radio is designed for)?

2. Is that even "legal" for GMRS (25 Watts even if you have a HAM license)?

It says the range goes up to 520mHz (VHF: 136-174 MHz(Rx/Tx). UHF: 400-520 MHz(Rx/Tx). I've read where some radios have locked-out the GMRS frequencies.

Thanks! I'm still trying to google this, but not finding stuff related to those with a HAM license, etc.

So to kinda close the loop, I bought the little baofeng uv-25x2 radio. Haven’t really got to play with it much, but am looking forward to it.

Ham radio.2.jpg

Oscar Mike Gulf Yankee

Nice rig.

I'll be honest with you'all I didn't read all the posts, got to the second post and thought....Oooops.

So, correction. A HAM license is applicable any time a licensee fires up ANY radio.

Terms of holding any class of a HAM license authorizes the licensee to operate on the assigned frequencies in modes authorized in that class. However, a violation of FCC regulations can occur at any frequency, in any band, in any mode.

Same holds true for any other licenses, GRMS, CB, Marine, Aviation, Business or even General Broadcast, your license grants authority to use the designated bands and frequencies under power restrictions assigned for that license. The only one who can transmit on any frequency at any power level is God himself!

You can lose any and all license(s) and be subject to fines or penalties for violating ANY FCC regulation.

Operating out of band means any band the operator is not licensed for. If you violate FCC regulations with any radio you can lose both licenses, as in ALL privileges, not just those applicable to a band or frequency subject of the violation, like transmitting 50 watts with your HAM rig on GRMS freqs.

A HAM license allows operators to build their own radios but they are responsible for compliance, no other FCC license allows operators to modify or build any transmitter. Exception for licensing individuals is for commercial repair/manufacturing engineers and military operators under certain conditions. That means GRMS, CB, Aviation, Marine, Business and all Government band operators must use off the shelf commercial radios, no modifications allowed.

Commercial radios today are locked out of unauthorized frequencies and at transmitting at power levels as authorized within a band. You can get bad radios that don't operate as intended, if you have one the screw up is on the operator, not the guy in China who built it. There are commercial radios that will receive a greater spectrum than they will transmit on. You can listen to Broadcast FM on a HAM rig but it isn't designed to transmit on that band.

Lastly, violations, probably the most common was operators using power amplifiers when power limitations applied to a band, most likely CBer's with amps. When you hear a CB trucker that pins your S meter and they say they are 60 miles away, they are probably cheating. Remember, when you have power options you are only to use that power necessary to facilitate communications and in compliance with applicable power limitations. (y)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles