Will this radio transmit on GMRS frequencies?

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Here is tiny GMRS radio. It will be easy to mount and you have a real GMRS radio

or this 15 Watt radio for $150.00

Both with a quality hi gain antenna will be very effective.

I have both a Ham and Midland radios easier to manage when in a mixed group with different radios.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Well it does and doesn’t. The law doesn’t state that but the FCC is getting more loose lipped about looking the other way for part 90 devices. I know some folks petitioning the just formalize this process but it hasn’t been finalized.
Is there anything written down formalizing (even anecdotally) that FCC position? I mean even legitimate reports of inaction.

Last edited:

Umbrarian

Observer
FCC is way to stupid to allow anything useful like that..

Absent that, I would be happy to see some vendor make a set of radios say CB, GMRS, ARS with all 3 fitting stacked in a double DIN slot. You could mix and match what you wanted get - CB+GMRS+ARS(144+430), or GMRS+ARS(144/430)+ARS(29/50), or GMRS+AM/FM/CB/USB+ARS(144/430), etc.

dreadlocks

I'd like to see an easily hackable Mobile SDR that could TX from HF to UHF and had multiple antenna IO's.. that didnt cost nearly 5 figures.

DaveInDenver

Many business & public service radios are sized to fit in a DIN slot adapter. That would cover ham radio (and GMRS if you're so inclined). I would assume the commercial derived ham-specific would also fit, like the TM-281 or FTM-3100 sort of radios.

3699842.jpg

It's the default size for those consoles they use when outfitting cop cars, fire trucks and government trucks.

C-VS-1508-INSE_A_2-12 (16)_600.JPG

As far as CB the Cobra 18 is DIN sized.

WP_20160322_14_00_15_Pro_LI.jpg

Gooseberry

Explorer
Not out of the box. You might then figure out a firmware mod to force the microprocessor to free band but are you sure the alignment and filtering are compatible with wide band transmit?

Mars mod will do it but mine is still in warranty so not going to touch it. I love 7100 for the Sportsmobile because I can listen and scan all the frequencies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Frdmskr

Adventurer
I hate to thread jack but real quick. Can you see the 7100’s screen in full sun when mobile? I haven’t reinstalled my 5100 because I simply cannot see the screen in the sun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

prerunner1982

Adventurer
I don't want to have three radios in my Jeep (CB, HAM, GMRS). It would be nice if someone made a new not expensive simple dual-band (like the FTM-7250DR) that when shifting into GMRS frequencies would not go above the max legal output. Maybe now that the FCC has changed the rules regarding GMRS, someone will make such a radio. I'd buy one.
FCC is way to stupid to allow anything useful like that..

Once upon a time (May 2017) for a short while Rugged Radios sold a radio that operated on 134-174Mhz, 400-480Mhz, 26-33Mhz, and 47-54Mhz advertised as VHF, UHF, CB, and Ham for $578. The radio was advertised as 50 watts, but a friend spoke to a RR rep at an expo and they said when switched to CB it would only do 4 watts AM. The radio was already illegal, I find it suspect that they would worry about CB only putting out 4 watts.
It was short lived and any mention of it was quickly removed from their webpage, online press release, and youtube (before end of May 2017). Supposedly it needed a little work and would be back soon but the action of removing any mention of it didn't support that and it has never returned. I surmise that the FCC was involved.

DaveInDenver

Once upon a time (May 2017) for a short while Rugged Radios sold a radio that operated on 134-174Mhz, 400-480Mhz, 26-33Mhz, and 47-54Mhz advertised as VHF, UHF, CB, and Ham for $578. The radio was advertised as 50 watts, but a friend spoke to a RR rep at an expo and they said when switched to CB it would only do 4 watts AM. The radio was already illegal, I find it suspect that they would worry about CB only putting out 4 watts.
It was short lived and any mention of it was quickly removed from their webpage, online press release, and youtube (before end of May 2017). Supposedly it needed a little work and would be back soon but the action of removing any mention of it didn't support that and it has never returned. I surmise that the FCC was involved.
I often wonder how Rugged Radios keeps going without the FCC shutting them down. I have a buddy who's 24 Hours of Lemons got a batch of radios from them. The guy who bought them for the team wasn't a "radio guy" and asked my buddy to figure out why. He's a fellow 4wd club member and ham so he asked me to help look into it.

Clearly Baofengs with different brand stickers that were programmed with what seemed like two random frequencies. One was within the UHF business pool (but they had no license for it, which usually gets the shop in trouble as well as the illegal user) and the other was within the itinerant VHF but was 2.5KHz off the correct frequency. I don't have programming software for them but so idea if they were set for narrow or wide band, but if it was narrowband being 2.5KHz off center (absent any frequency stability issue, which I'm sure would be a problem) with 12.5KHz bandwidth would make them sound absolutely horrible.

Plus the antenna as near as I could measure was tuned for the ham bands and was next to useless for either anyway, which was likely why they couldn't talk across the whole track with them even at 5W.

Last edited:

rnArmy

Adventurer
Here is tiny GMRS radio. It will be easy to mount and you have a real GMRS radio

or this 15 Watt radio for $150.00

Both with a quality hi gain antenna will be very effective.

I have both a Ham and Midland radios easier to manage when in a mixed group with different radios.

Well these both seem nice and small, and reasonably priced. I'd prefer the one without the controls on the mike. They get good reviews. If I had to go with a separate GMRS radio, this looks like the way to go.

I have this dual-band antenna already mounted on my Jeep for use with the BaoFeng UV-5R (link below). Would it work with one of these small Midland GMR radios?

This is what I'm trying to avoid looking like - too many radios:

Multiple radios.jpg

dreadlocks

This is what I'm trying to avoid looking like - too many radios

You say that like its a bad thing heh, if I had the capability to install multiple radios in my vehicle.. I would likely have em.. but I get your point.

Would depend on how wideband that dual-bander is, it will work undoubtedly as it is.. but SWR may be a bit high for great performance at GMRS.. I'm using an antenna designed for wideband use, its a Comet CA-2x4SR with a spring.. they make a NMO version of it as well.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Well these both seem nice and small, and reasonably priced. I'd prefer the one without the controls on the mike. They get good reviews. If I had to go with a separate GMRS radio, this looks like the way to go.

I have this dual-band antenna already mounted on my Jeep for use with the BaoFeng UV-5R (link below). Would it work with one of these small Midland GMR radios?

This is what I'm trying to avoid looking like - too many radios:

View attachment 535623
I personally like having a dedicated antenna.

Generally when a crew goes out , they are using one channel not switching them constantly. It would be easy to hide one of those micro radios under your seat.

You could also use low-profile antennas instead of the traditional whips.

Last edited:

rnArmy

Adventurer
You say that like its a bad thing heh, if I had the capability to install multiple radios in my vehicle.. I would likely have em.. but I get your point.

Would depend on how wideband that dual-bander is, it will work undoubtedly as it is.. but SWR may be a bit high for great performance at GMRS.. I'm using an antenna designed for wideband use, its a Comet CA-2x4SR with a spring.. they make a NMO version of it as well.

I compared the specs of mine to yours. Looks like yours is the one I maybe should have got when I was setting-up But at the time, I was just looking for a dual-band antenna; didn't know about a wide(er) band antenna. Thanks for the intel.

I'm waiting to hear back as to what kind of GMRS radio they want us to have, and if my UV-5R will be sufficient, or if I need a dedicated GMRS radio. If I need a dedicated radio, I'll probably order one of those little Midland 15W radios referenced earlier.

($149).

And they're having a Labor Day sale $20.00 off orders greater than $100 with free shipping through 3 September.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles