Will this hitch fit a 2001 Montero Limited w/ 3.5 V6?

zerogspacecow

Bought an '01 Gen 3 yesterday and need a hitch. I keep seeing people saying the factory hitches were better and didn't reduce departure angle as badly.

Does anyone know if this hitch would fit my '01: https://www.mitsubishiwholesaleautoparts.com/oem-parts/mitsubishi-hitch-trailer-amr03yhb01

It says it is for 03-06, but did anything actually change for those years? I saw the amr01yhb01 part number listed, but don't know if this is the same or different.

If it doesn't work, then which hitch is the best?

I can scour some junkyards and try to find an old OEM hitch, but I'm not confident that I'll find one. Buying new is always easier.

Thanks!

zerogspacecow

As far as I know, 01-06 were mechanically the same for the frame and body.
Some changes were made to the bodywork and styling. Limited got lighted steps.
Rear bumper shape might have changed, but the hitch mount should still work.

Curt makes a hitch for the 01 Montero that looks the same.
https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Mitsubishi/Montero/2001/C13800.html?VehicleID=200144220

Thanks! I'm trying to decide if it is worth taking the gamble on the OEM one I linked to, since I've heard they hang down less.

They all hang down unless you build custom and hack a hole in the rear bumper.

Yeah, makes me wish I had a house and some tools. I used to work in fabrication, so I could easily make it work. But right now I live in a condo and don't have a welder or anything.

zerogspacecow

Here's what "for sure" fits the '01-'02 and is OEM/Dealer install. It does sit higher than all the aftermarket ones. Long ago discontinued.
'01-02 hitch

Thanks! I saw your post before, which is what made me ask about this.

Basically what I'm hoping is that the one I linked to is the same (or similar enough to be interchangeable) as the one you have. Unfortunately, they have pretty much zero info about it, so it would be a gamble.

I am planning on going to a junkyard this weekend that has a couple of 3rd gen Monteros. Maybe I'll get lucky and find an OEM hitch on one of them.

normal_dave

waytoomuchwritinginposts.
I also have an '06 with the OEM/Dealer installed hitch. It is a round tube design, still high, but sits a bit lower than the 01-02. Maybe the bumper layout is different like @Michael Brown mentioned? I took these pics awhile back for a contact on the West coast with a similar inquiry. Maybe it will help?
2006 OEM hitch height:
20220411_142702A.jpg
2006 OEM hitch overall:
20220411_142711.jpg
2006 OEM Hitch ID tag:
20220411_142619A.jpg
2002 OEM Hitch height:

20220411_142515A.jpg

normal_dave

waytoomuchwritinginposts.
Thanks! Looks like that would go in a similar location to this one I found on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/363219226283?epid=660742408&hash=item54918d8eab:g:oK0AAOSwZPNcr6kc
That looks to be the same as the Curt and/or Draw Tite. It is different in mounting design from the OEM and will hang down lower, and the receiver tube sticks out farther to the rear, exacerbating our already relatively low departure angle problem. But it will fit, and I use Curt products on the other vehicles and like them fine. In fact, Curt made the only drawbar that gave me the extension/rise/rating I needed to clear the rear tire on the Montero and match my hitch height on my trailer.
Curt hitch Etrailer
c13800_9_500.jpg

zerogspacecow

That looks to be the same as the Curt and/or Draw Tite. It is different in mounting design from the OEM and will hang down lower, and the receiver tube sticks out farther to the rear, exacerbating our already relatively low departure angle problem. But it will fit, and I use Curt products on the other vehicles and like them fine. In fact, Curt made the only drawbar that gave me the extension/rise/rating I needed to clear the rear tire on the Montero and match my hitch height on my trailer.
Curt hitch Etrailer
c13800_9_500.jpg

Dang...

Maybe I'll get lucky and find someone in my area that will let me borrow a welder so I can just flip it and put the receiver tube on top.

Michael Brown

You followed me, so now we're both lost
On mine, I went with a Skidmark 4x4 1/4" hitch plate. Their newest version has more features than needed, but I'm sure it still works great.

Holds the weight of the vehicle with a jack and has guided my bumper free of several rocks and hills.

4x4-off-road-mult-tool-skid-plate-hitch-skid-plate-hi-lift-mount-farm-jack-mount-recovery-point-cb-mount-wheel-chock-bottle-opener-jack-base-bicycle-rack-1-1-4-accessory-back-up-camera.jpg

zerogspacecow

On mine, I went with a Skidmark 4x4 1/4" hitch plate. Their newest version has more features than needed, but I'm sure it still works great.

Holds the weight of the vehicle with a jack and has guided my bumper free of several rocks and hills.

4x4-off-road-mult-tool-skid-plate-hitch-skid-plate-hi-lift-mount-farm-jack-mount-recovery-point-cb-mount-wheel-chock-bottle-opener-jack-base-bicycle-rack-1-1-4-accessory-back-up-camera.jpg

That's really cool! I might grab one once I get the hitch installed!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier