Will the new Superwinch EXP be worth the wait?

jeegro

Adventurer
They're slated to be available for sale July 15. Price point unknown. I just added a winch bumper and am eager to get a winch. Everyone will say go Warn... but the price point isn't working for me.

So do I buy a Smittybilt x20 COMP 10k now for ~$520, or wait for the Superwinch EXP? $520 is about the max I want to spend.

harv3589

Adventurer
I have a Superwinch Tiger Shark on my jeep and haven't had an issue with it...friends with warns have had to do repairs......

RedF

Adventurer
Isn't the EXP the one that debuted at SEMA with rifle scope mounting rails? Seems gimmicky to me.

Do some research before spending any $$.

IMO you are better off with a Warn M8000 at ~$600 than any glam cheap winch.

I am not against Superwinch - I have had a X9 on my Land Cruiser since 1999.

Good luck,

Alan

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
I've also had a good experience with the Superwinch X9.
I have buddies with Warn, Mile Marker, and Superwinch products...they are all solid performers.
I'd steer clear of Smittybuilt products in general...two cents.

jeegro

Adventurer
I've been doing research. Smittybilt x20 does not have a single bad review out there, and with 3 year electrical and 5 year mechanical warranty, it seems like a great deal to me. Plus this is for mostly for camping to get from A to B, hitting some moderate trails along the way.

As for rifle scope mounts... I don't know about that... but it does have mounts for lights or whatever. I probably don't want to wait until July, and the price will be higher than the x20 i bet

jeegro

Adventurer
I've got a Smittybilt x20 COMP 10k - IMO it's the best buy for occasional (ie. not weekly) use. No way is a Warn equivalent worth 3x the price.

Great to hear. That's my thinking as well. It says it has 2 solenoid mounting options... basically left or middle... but is there a way to remote mount it?

ADVSubaru

Observer
Superwinch is solid so I doubt you'd have any qualms with using/owning one. The Smittybilt X20 gets raving reviews from every gear review I've read both stateside and abroad and lastly WARN is the status quo for a reason. We rarely have issues with WARN and we install a ton of them.

gurkang

You can use wireles remote. Just need a small electric cable work. I am looking for smittybilt x20 10 and superwinch talon 12.5. Still searching and reading about them. I just want to find out how long I can use smittybilt without any break. I trust superwinch talon more than smittybilt.

Sand1235

Any updates? Who has an EXP? Is a Talon a better winch, or is the newer EXP better?
My brother has a 12K EXP. And my dad has a 10K Zeon Platinum. Both are awesome. I have my pros and cons for each.

Superwinch
Pros:
-Fast
-Automatic engaging clutch
-Wireless controls optional (not nearly convenient as Zeons)
-We hardwired in cab winch controls using the existing controller

Cons:
-BIG
-Auxillary power ports are a dumb design in our minds
-Wireless controls have to be setup and takes us a while. But with the in cab winch controls, we don't use it. So we have to relearn it each time (may not be a con).

Warn Zeon Platinum
Pros:
-Fast
-Very cool remote and extremely easy to use.
-Warn's auxillary power ports are neat, and look extremely easy and convenient to use.
-Can relocate the control box with awesome pre made kits. We did it on my dad's canyon.
-Very low profile when it needs to be

Cons:
-Wireless remote, if it dies, gets lost, or loses connection... No winch. Having said that, none of that has happened yet.
-No physical options on the winch. Can't engage the clutch by hand, can't turn on auxillary power ports manually, can't go in and out without the remote. But it's a Warn. Good company and service. So that's a debate in itself.

Ask away, on anything that concerns you. My family has both of them, we use them. Not hardcore everyday, but they get used.

I am consideringthe superwinch 10 k exp or the comeup gen2 9.5 any thoughts . NO I don't want a warn, I have had horrible custormer service from warn. I think they were very good once. but now are resting upon their laurels. So of the 2 winches the superwinch 10 k exp and the comeup gen 2 9.5 any thoughts?

60Dan

Explorer
Ive just acquired a Superwinch EXP si 10 but haven't mounted it yet.
I own a 2005 Landcruiser with an ARB bumper. The mounting bolt holes are on the bottom and by the looks of this winch the motor can be clocked but the rest of it seems to be fixed in place.
This leads me to believe that the most favorable solution is to mount it upright. This is all fine and dandy but the ARB bumper doesnt have any kind of mounting plate or cradle so Im either going to have to weld in a mounting plate to the bumper or live with it laying down. Problem with laying it down is it makes all the fun little add ons like power ports etc harder to access.
Ive emailed Superwinch but have yet to hear back. Will call next week about this if I don't hear anything from them.

Other than that, it seems like a really well built unit with some very well thought out design add ons.

Will report back what I find out

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles