Will James Baroud / Adventure Ready stand behind their Warranty?

maust

I had the same concern when TAV installed the tent. Walt Wagner stated that this is the recommended position per James Baroud with the Evasion on the Tacoma. All their tents were mounted in this fashion mostly using Front Runner racks that were shorter than mine.

Reason the rack was mounted to the frame was to avoid mounting to bedrails and all the bed stiffiners needed.

Wear is on the front, or mine the back. Buddy Chris down in Los Lunas has a Baroud tent with the SAME failure mode mounted to a front runner rack above a shell mounted forward. Basic failure analysis tells me these tents are not designed to last 5 years and JB knows it.

Last edited:

adaml

I had the same concern when TAV installed the tent. Walt Wagner stated that this is the recommended position per James Baroud with the Evasion on the Tacoma. All their tents were mounted in this fashion mostly using Front Runner racks that were shorter than mine.

Reason the rack was mounted to the frame was to avoid mounting to bedrails and all the bed stiffiners needed.

Wear is on the front, or mine the back. Buddy Chris down in Los Lunas has a Baroud tent with the SAME failure mode mounted to a front runner rack above a shell mounted forward. Basic failure analysis tells me these tents are not designed to last 5 years and JB knows it.
Well, whatever the case, I hope you get it taken care of. I sure sounds like you're having a bad time of it but it seems like there's lots of people out there loving these tents for a long time as well.

VanWaLife

I've found closing my JB tent to be more art than science, so the explanation that it wasn't closed properly seems plausible since it looks like it might be hard to access the side nearest the cab to tuck the fabric and the strap in. This in my opinion would be more the manufacturer's fault since the info on how to mount and close these tents is very lacking. I would never buy a JB tent again, given what I know now, and am actively scheming on how I'll patch mine if I get the dreaded fabric failure. No way I'm dealing with those idiots at Adventure Ready again. Trying to buy a tent from them was like the nerd trying to get the hot chick to go to prom with him. Still, in this case I don't think I'd be very comfortable with how the tent is mounted, and you really cant trust the info put out by Baroud, or especially AR. I ran my rack design by AR and got a thumbs up, but when I arrived for install it became clear the basic dimensions were a no-go. That was years ago, yet the frustration from the experience still haunts me. With all that said, I do love my JB tent. Yet the anticipation of it failing is beginning to weigh me down. Sad really; I do believe in the product, but the support and documentation is terrible.

maust

It does take a bit of art closing a James Baroud Tent making sure everything is closed properly. When the tent was first deemed a design flaw for the exact same failure the local retailer TAV confirmed that there was no user error introduced.

Claim of mounting direction being a viable means to refuse warranty I find flimsy at best. Buddy has a tent showing the exact same failure mounted on his Tacoma.
20200531_175600_HDR.jpg

If a manufacture or distributor refuse to stand behind their product, where does that leave consumer confidence?