Wildlife Photography

salsataco

Adventurer
Any other wildlife photographers care to share some images?

Some from last year.

Darner in the White Mountains, NH
darner1.jpg

Coopers hawk waiting for the bus.
IMG_5063coops.jpg

Massachusetts' Barred owl
IMG_4062barred.jpg

CAPTAIN COORS

Adventurer
the pig is a wild Javelina and the thing in its nose is jumping cholla which is very painful, Most people think of Javelina as "pigs", just a desert variety of the common barnyard animal we all know so well. The fact is Javelina do share common ancestry to old world pigs and even similarities in appearance. However, Javelina have many significant differences. They have a different number of teeth, a different gestation period, a complex (versus simple) stomach, and a musk gland on their backs--the fact is, they are not "pigs".

Both Javelina (collared peccaries ~ tayassu tajacu), and pigs are members of the order artiodactyla, suborder suiformes, sharing a common ancestry dating back some 30 million years. But, because of significant anatomical and genetic differences they, have been placed in separate families - pigs in the Suidae family and Javelina in the tayassuidae.

Last edited:

pwc

Explorer
I like moose. they're pretty cool

Here's a couple I can muster for now

Morpho Butterfly and a Red Eyed Tree Frog

Last edited:

neliconcept

Spirit Overland
great bokeh in the frog shot

did you use a macro lens for that or just a good lens with a good close up focusing system?

lovin all of these.

pwc

Explorer
thanks!

The frog shot was actually taken by my wife, but with 'my' camera (not so much mine any more :( ) It was shot with a 24-105 lens at 105mm and a distance of maybe 1.5' with ISO400 setting. I love the Canon 5D as a 100% crop gives you the eye below.

The second picture is the little guy all closed up. they are hard to spot.

neliconcept

Spirit Overland
pwc said:
thanks!

The frog shot was actually taken by my wife, but with 'my' camera (not so much mine any more :( ) It was shot with a 24-105 lens at 105mm and a distance of maybe 1.5' with ISO400 setting. I love the Canon 5D as a 100% crop gives you the eye below.

The second picture is the little guy all closed up. they are hard to spot.

If I had the money id upgrade to the 5D, Fullframe is awesome. I have a 1.6x crop 30d, does me well though and Im still learning different methods

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
slooowr6 said:
The color of that frog is amazing!

I have to agree on that frogshot, it made me pause for a moment and just stare. I wish I could see one of those frogs in the wild and be able to get that good of a photograph. Just awesome.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles