Wildernest Restoration

rtwBound

NOTE* the national hardware hinges that are said to be exact matches WERE NOT. We ended up having to drill new holes into the fibreglass since the hinges did not match up.

IMG_1921.jpeg

rtwBound

Filled the hinges with silicone before screwing them in, cut off access from the inside if it was protruding through the fibreglass.
IMG_1926.jpeg

IMG_1927.jpeg

gwittman

Adventurer
Looks like you are doing a good job of restoring so far. I don't get the Westfalia decals, but it is your camper and you can do what you like with it. Mine has had a couple repaints and has no decals anymore.

I have had mine since new and have taken care to keep it in good condition. I don't know if I would have the patients or skill to restore some of the ones I have seen being worked on. You started with one in fairly decent condition but still in need of some work.

Be careful about using self tapping screws in the Wildernest. That is just wood inside and can strip out. I have always used pop rivets for the latches with good results. I have new latches as backups in case mine break but, am still using the original ones. I am also still using the original hinges, but I have coated them a couple times with different industrial bake on coatings.

Keep up the good work.

rtwBound

Looks like you are doing a good job of restoring so far. I don't get the Westfalia decals, but it is your camper and you can do what you like with it. Mine has had a couple repaints and has no decals anymore.

I have had mine since new and have taken care to keep it in good condition. I don't know if I would have the patients or skill to restore some of the ones I have seen being worked on. You started with one in fairly decent condition but still in need of some work.

Be careful about using self tapping screws in the Wildernest. That is just wood inside and can strip out. I have always used pop rivets for the latches with good results. I have new latches as backups in case mine break but, am still using the original ones. I am also still using the original hinges, but I have coated them a couple times with different industrial bake on coatings.

Keep up the good work.

It's funny you mention that about the self tapping screws. I took it out the other weekend and a couple of the hinges started coming out, and a couple of the screws broke. So now I'm going to take all the screws out and drill in nuts with bolts (as it was originally). After that I'm going to power wash the canvas, waterproof it, and hopefully start using it way more. I can't use it as is since the hinges are not secure.

gwittman

Adventurer
How do you plan to waterproof the canvas after basically removing the internal urethane coating that was the original water proofing? I know a few people have tried to remove the mildew and were not successful in getting the canvas to seal after. Hopefully you have a good idea that others can use.

rtwBound

So it turns out I don’t actually have a mildew problem. The reason my canvas looks so bad is because the polyurathane coating is flaking off, in all spots. I’m going to use a heavy duty detergent and spray that on the canvas, let it sit, and then pressure off after. Then I’m going to treat the canvas with nikwax tent waterproofing spray. Then I’m going to use a seam sealer on all the seams.

gwittman

Adventurer
Is the nikwax tent waterproofing spray used on the outside or inside? Does it tend to stick together when it gets hot? I know the urethane kind of does that when hot and humid, especially when put away in that condition.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior